Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Tournament Forum > Tournament Discussions

Old 01-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
tnoutdoorgirl

tnoutdoorgirl is on a distinguished road
Default Seeking advice for new archerist

I am new to archery. I AM HOOKED! Just bought a bow in May of 2010 and I love to shoot. I bought it for whitetail hunting. But, I enjoy it enough to continue finding new ways to shoot.
I am wondering what it would be like to shoot tournaments. I really have NO idea where to start or even if I would enjoy that kind of shooting. Trust me when I tell you that I know nothing of tournaments. Any words of wisdom from some of you seasoned tournament shooters?

Also, I was thinking of turkey hunting with it this Spring. Is that reasonable to consider for a brand new archery hunter? I did take a nice 8 with my bow this past deer season.

Finally, I know some folks who shoot squirrels with thier bows. Is it too early to try that?
tnoutdoorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
Supermag

Supermag is on a distinguished road

Find a local club that is hosting some 3D shoots and try one of them out, tell them you're new and they'll probably put you in a group with some experienced shooters that will help you learn the rules and may give you a few tips along the way.

As for turkey hunting, I say why not. They are smaller targets with a small vital area but you can usually get them in pretty close with a decoy and some calling.

As for squirrel hunting, I'd wait until the season was open and know that you're going to break and lose several arrows but if that doesn't matter, go for it.
Supermag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
tnoutdoorgirl

tnoutdoorgirl is on a distinguished road

Awesome. Thank you. I was just looking for some tournaments close by. I think I will go and watch as soon as possible. But, I haven't found anything close that is soon. I have only looked in TN so far. But, I can lok in AL and GA for something that would not be too far away. I know there are some small, local tournaments in my area that I will visit, also.
Thank you for your help. Much Appreciated!
tnoutdoorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
Supermag

Supermag is on a distinguished road

IMO small local tournaments are the best to get started on. People tend to have a bit more fun shooting these and don't mind the occasional newby mistake.

Don't just go and watch, take the bow along and join in and most importantly have fun. Nobody was perfect their first time out so don't be disappointed if you don't clean the course or you lose a few arrows (they make more of them).
Supermag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #5
Devine Shot

Devine Shot is on a distinguished road

Supermag is right go and shoot most are excited for new people shooting they are not gonna care if you do good or not. They remember their first time and most enjoy the social part as much as the shooting.

Good Luck and Have fun.
Devine Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #6
stubby'smom

stubby'smom is on a distinguished road

Ditto on the go and shoot. If there are not alot of women archers in your area chances are there won't be that much competition for you, especially in bowhunter class. You might place 1st or 2nd lol! My hubby and I just started going to local tournaments and while we don't shoot the best we have alot of fun trying and meeting other people.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:58 AM   #7
Wheely
Wheely Threads

Wheely has a spectacular aura aboutWheely has a spectacular aura about

When I first got back into shooting, I met a shop owner that took an interest in helping me and getting me to the shoots. I also spent a lot of time out at the range (with club membership) and met a lot of people that I ended up shooting some 3D's with. I also worked the sign-in booth on my first shoot and ended up finding a super fun group to shoot with that day.

Good Luck! have fun! The best 3D shoots I have been to involve a lot of laughing and joking around.
Wheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #8
PSE310

PSE310 is on a distinguished road
Default Hi There

I don't what part of the great state of Tn. you are from but there are alot of places in Ky. that shoot 3d's.
PSE310 is offline   Reply With Quote