Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 01-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
JTClark

JTClark is on a distinguished road
Default mini broadhead

was search for a mini fixed blade cut on contact, i was in broadhead talk.com and they seek like ghost room with no repond, anyways come here and question and compare on 2 different slick trick razortrick vs steel force phathead or titanium bullet, i'm still in mixed up on what broadhead i want to get mechincal and fixed blade but i do like the look steel force titanium bullet has a teethback of blade and what do u like about razortrick and titanium bullet
i wonder will the 1 degree offset fletch 2" HP blazer steer them ? but other broadhead i still cirous about helix boradhead..
anyone shoot them yet ??
JTClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
archeryassasin
trophy class deer hunter

archeryassasin is on a distinguished road

slick tricks not accurate at all, but most fixed blades arent. imo mechanicals are the way to go, but thats just me.
archeryassasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
JTClark

i understand, there a smallest mech in rocket steelhead, i'm sure people will have own opinion on varity of heads i just want to hear from them..
i will have to find around,
Old 01-27-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by archeryassasin View Post
slick tricks not accurate at all, but most fixed blades arent. imo mechanicals are the way to go, but thats just me.
this can't be farther from the truth....you just have to take the time and learn how to tune your broadheads and your bow.

Slick tricks are one of the best flying around if properly tuned they will fly with your practise tips, they are sharper than average and make a nice wound channel with good blood trails.

Mechanical blades are just that mechanical and anything mechanical fails once in awhile including broadheads.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #5
archeryassasin
trophy class deer hunter

well u can obviously sight ur bow in with any broadhead and get them to shoot on, but what i was trying to say is that with the mechanicals i use you can shoot without moving ur sight from shooting field points. and ive had no mechanical probs, just saying.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
JTClark

move sight or rest can happen when someone shot a fixed blade broadhead, but i'm trying to tune and shoot the same than adjust but i'm still will have to keep research and trying to find broadhead for my hunting bow ..
might go rocket steelhead mechanical

will have to see somethings difference
Old 01-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #7
archeryassasin
trophy class deer hunter

well if your looking to go mechanical check out bloodrunners and also spitfires. both have fieldpoint accuracy and ive had no problems with either shooting animals
Old 01-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #8
JTClark

yeah i have been research on NAP for few month but i'm looking to make sure i pick up right one for my bow and arrow and spine that way arrow fly through pass complete at like 270 to 290 fps bow that i have 377.95 gr and 388.55 gr arrow
i like to be small broadhead not long tip to back but small tip to back and a diamenter like rocket steelheadso i can have long life on quiver than torn down the foam..

Quote:
well if your looking to go mechanical check out bloodrunners and also spitfires. both have fieldpoint accuracy and ive had no problems with either shooting animals
Old 01-27-2011, 08:11 PM   #9
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

Steelheads have accounted for a few of my deer, and they're one of my favorite mechanicals.
Slick tricks are popular for 2 reasons. They're easy to tune for a fixed blade head and they leave a nice hole for a small head.
G5 Montecs are another accurate head but some find them hard to re-sharpen. G5 Strikers are the replaceable blade version of the Montec IMO, sharp and accurate, another good choice in a fixed blade head.

Last edited by red44; 01-27-2011 at 08:23 PM.
red44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:27 PM   #10
archeryassasin
trophy class deer hunter

NAP Nitron is also a good small diameter fixed blade and are pretty accurate.really sharp and durable.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:56 AM   #11
cath8r

cath8r is on a distinguished road

Man, Iv been hooked on Wasp broadheads the last few years and this year hunted with the BOSS Bullet. Talk about accurate, tough and sharp! They are priced great too. $30.00 for 6 vs. $40.00 for 6 or $30.00 for 3 of most other brands. I cant recomend Boss Bullets enough.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:21 AM   #12
JTClark

small fixed broadhead and high profile blazer is it make any difference and steer and rotate and spin if use straight or offset or helical fletching,

i was curious about small head and fletch from low or high profile ..
Old 01-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #13
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
well u can obviously sight ur bow in with any broadhead and get them to shoot on, but what i was trying to say is that with the mechanicals i use you can shoot without moving ur sight from shooting field points. and ive had no mechanical probs, just saying.

Your missing the point...
if you know how to tune your bow and your arrows you won't have to move your site to go between broadheads and field points.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #14
MeanV2

MeanV2 is on a distinguished road

You obviously are not setup correctly. Slick Tricks are the Most accurate fixed blade I have ever shot in 40 plus years. They fly right with my field points out to 60 yards.

If they did Not I would be taking a serious look at my Bow Tune.

Dan

Quote:
www.meanvarchery.com
MeanV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:21 PM   #15
MeanV2

JT, Use Helical for Broadheads. I tune my Bow to a gnat's arse but I still use all the steering I can get. I have used Feathers, Blazers, regular vanes, and QS Vanes including the Speed Hunters.

I always go back to Feathers because they can't be beat.

Blazers, etc will get the job done but give me feathers. I've also been impressed with the QS Speed Hunter ST's

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTClark View Post
small fixed broadhead and high profile blazer is it make any difference and steer and rotate and spin if use straight or offset or helical fletching,

www.meanvarchery.com
Old 01-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #16
Archerdad

Archerdad will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Archerdad

Quote:

i have been using blazers for a ew years and love them. i alway use a helical on them for broadheads. for field points you can easily get by with just an offset.

i saw this fletching jig at the paris texas ASA shoot a couple of years ago and it made fletching blazers with a helical super easy. you can use a different arm for helical and straight. the guy demoing the jig used the fastset glue and had a blazer glued on in about 10 seconds start to finish.

http://www.bohning.com/store/blazer-...ching-jig.html
Archerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:49 PM   #17
JTClark

i has a AAE fletching jig that has 1 degree offset slight to straight, and i just buy 2" vanetec HP blazer, the arrow rest i have is tri-van contour " static " and the mike from mid atlantic archery he recommend straight and offset for this arrow rest but if go tri van vanishing then can do any fletch u want..
reason i wonder about small broadhead and the blazer might give better chance accruate as they say blazer give arrow a arrow..
but i might have to go with mech then buy a different jig and arrow rest then can go with fixed blade head..

i'm take a look at rocket steelhead in 2 different mechanical one orginal steel and other same size but add a cut on contact.. 1 1/8" diameter
Old 01-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #18
Archerdad

Quote:
i has a AAE fletching jig that has 1 degree offset slight to straight, and i just buy 2" vanetec HP blazer, the arrow rest i have is tri-van contour " static " and the mike from mid atlantic archery he recommend straight and offset for this arrow rest but if go tri van vanishing then can do any fletch u want..
reason i wonder about small broadhead and the blazer might give better chance accruate as they say blazer give arrow a arrow..
but i might have to go with mech then buy a different jig and arrow rest then can go with fixed blade head..

i'm take a look at rocket steelhead in 2 different mechanical one orginal steel and other same size but add a cut on contact.. 1 1/8" diameter
what is your draw weight?
Old 01-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #19
JTClark

my bow is set at 70# and 30" DL with d-loop
Old 01-28-2011, 06:09 PM   #20
Archerdad

Quote:
my bow is set at 70# and 30" DL with d-loop
you can easily get good penetration with those specs from mechanical broadheads. the main thing i look for from mechanicals is that the blades are not extending past the tip. so the tip penetrates before the blades. just seemed like there is less of a chance for the blade to throw off the arrow to me.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:35 PM   #21
JTClark

most mechanicals they dont have blade that pass the tip, they stay below the tip, what mech that has a blade that extending pass the tip ? i dont think any of mech have one..
Old 01-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #22
Archerdad

some are farther behind the tip. some are closer. i don't know what brands, but you can certainly search at different sites of manufacturers and easily see what i mean.
i am having a hard time finding pictures of closed broadheads. most pictures are showing opened ones.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:02 PM   #23
Archerdad

ok here are a couple of pics with closed blades. i hope this will help you understand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2041.jpg (8.2 KB, 190 views)
Old 01-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #24
Archerdad

another picture
Attached Images
File Type: png 6148 [320x200].png (10.9 KB, 186 views)
Old 01-28-2011, 08:22 PM   #25
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

One of the reasons I went to 125 grain Steelheads. The tip extended farther out ahead of the blades. The 100's were almost even.
Cath8 I also have been a Wasp fan for a long time. Still in my quiver.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:36 PM   #26
JTClark

yeah, i can see clear, that mini vortex have pass the tip but a friend of mine used to shot that vortex and pentarte the buck only 1/2 arrow on his mathews z max back in 1996, told me it work but the buck dead 200 yd away from where he shot..

i have never shot a vortex, they seem too big cut blade cause poor pentarte at high speed bnow ?
Old 01-28-2011, 08:47 PM   #27
red44

The latest trend (since the Rage) is a big cut head. That works if you clear the first side and encounter just ribs. Hit something more substantial and that big cut is big resistance too. Not worth the gamble IMO.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:24 PM   #28
JTClark

i'm still research and read review about rocket steelhead broadheads and, i do like they made a small mechanical heads and i'm think about get them in cut on contact..
i havent shot rage but read alot awful negative about them but i doesnt cares about what they talk about rage.. who know i will change my mind and try rage i dont know .. plenty time til bow season next fall ..
Old 01-28-2011, 09:43 PM   #29
red44

They're making a cut on contact tip now?
Old 01-28-2011, 09:57 PM   #30
JTClark

yep rocket does. called steelhead XP has cut on contact on mech it has 1 1/8 " cut diameter it simple to steelhead both are same but XP is the cut on contact.. go check steelhead at trophy ridge
Old 01-29-2011, 09:03 AM   #31
upnorth

upnorth is on a distinguished road

i shot ramcats this year 1 3/8 fixed . tested them in my hooter shooter at 38 yards shot 6 was able to shoot a 1 1/4 tip to tip group . how much more accurate do you want with a fixed head and 1 3/8 isnt consider a small head . that was with a 350 grain arrow( victory hv v3 300) at 340fps with fusion vanes .but its all in the setup.
upnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:45 PM   #32
JTClark

ramcat look new to me but never tried shot them but i wonder how do the blade dont closed in full just like 1/2 like i see on video, and dont know about it..
Old 01-29-2011, 01:48 PM   #33
upnorth

upnorth is on a distinguished road

dont know exactly what your asking . the blades dont close . but there sharpned on both sides and what they do is if you dont get a pass through when pulled backward they cut a 1 3/4 hole on the way back out . but there not considered a expandable because they dont open on impact .
upnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:30 PM   #34
jcsck5

jcsck5 is on a distinguished road
Default mechanicals

I just want rockey mtn to bring back the snyper imo the best mechanical ever made.many deer zero faliures.i think the biggest thing is the bow still has to be tuned to perfection to get max mechanical penetration.for fixed I have found the slick tricks to be spot on great shooting head.i think the rage 40 ke has potential with a little work,most people at my shop are putting bands on the blades to ensure no premature deployment 10 sec fix
jcsck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:57 PM   #35
JTClark

i plan on order a steelhead XP this week and leave in til this season coming up .. i think i like the nitride look tough head with cut on contact.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:44 AM   #36
mtbowhunter

mtbowhunter is on a distinguished road

You cant go wrong with a steelhead XP, but I really like the standard steelhead or the Steelhead XL. {WHY} The tip and farrell are one piece, thus you will never have a tip bend over on bone impact. Yes the blades are close to the tip on the XL but in all the actual hunting I have done with them I have Never had a blade cause deflection. This year I shot a nice buck quartering hard toward me at 34yds. The broadhead hit at mid sholder blade and went right through almost to the back leg! No deflection, and the buck didnt make it 100yds. Never had a problem with Rockets! and will shoot them for life!
mtbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:29 AM   #37
MeanV2

How much KE are you shooting?

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbowhunter View Post
You cant go wrong with a steelhead XP, but I really like the standard steelhead or the Steelhead XL. {WHY} The tip and farrell are one piece, thus you will never have a tip bend over on bone impact. Yes the blades are close to the tip on the XL but in all the actual hunting I have done with them I have Never had a blade cause deflection. This year I shot a nice buck quartering hard toward me at 34yds. The broadhead hit at mid sholder blade and went right through almost to the back leg! No deflection, and the buck didnt make it 100yds. Never had a problem with Rockets! and will shoot them for life!
www.meanvarchery.com
Old 02-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #38
Bburg Hunt N Fish

Bburg Hunt N Fish is on a distinguished road

These are 1" cut from High Country Archery that I have used for 4years

MSRP $24.99 3pk
replacement blades available

General Archery Forum

General Archery Forum
Bburg Hunt N Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #39
JTClark

think HCA dont make a broadhead anymore today ? where do u get that ? but 55gr pretty light for my set up but i would shot a 100 gr unless if u are use very heavy arrow good chance to use 55 gr head..

also i do remeber HCA used to make thier own carbon arrows and now they arent make anymore expect for 2 or 3 bow models ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bburg Hunt N Fish View Post
These are 1" cut from High Country Archery that I have used for 4years

MSRP $24.99 3pk
replacement blades available

General Archery Forum

General Archery Forum
Old 02-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #40
Bburg Hunt N Fish

Bburg Hunt N Fish is on a distinguished road

We still produce the broadheads and arrows and there are 4 bows in the line for 2011 with 1-2more to be released in the 3rd quarter.
HCA is under new ownership since Oct 2009 and is working hard to bring the company back to the forefront.
The picture above was taken with my setup with a 55brh - 6.2 HCA speed pro arrow and HCA X10 70lb. 30dl
We carry them in stock just let me know.
Bburg Hunt N Fish is offline   Reply With Quote