Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 02-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #1
AxeMonster

AxeMonster is on a distinguished road
Default singal pin sights

thinking about buying HHA DS 5000 sights.does anyone use these and what is the advantage over multi oin sights or disadvantages
AxeMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:22 AM   #2
kleve

kleve is on a distinguished road

you mean single
kleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:55 AM   #3
AxeMonster

yes,didnt think that looked right.was in a hurry
Old 02-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
vortec 1
Scent free & sittin High

vortec 1 is on a distinguished road
Default Hha

In hunting, I always used a single pin and would pick up a little on a long distance shot.You always here of people using the wrong pin thats the only disadvantage I can think of with a multy pin. The advantage to me is you can see your target better with a single pin . It's your preferance. I now use a HHA 5519 which I love for Hunting and 3D. It's an ajustable, it has a built in reistat so you can dim or brighten the pin and you can also add a scope lense and a light to it. During hunting season I will still lock it down.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
AxeMonster

what im hoping is that i wont be bothered by the pins becoming fuzzy.my eyesight is still 20/20 but at low light multi pins start bluring together.thank u for ur reply.ordered a set this morning.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:32 PM   #6
MossyD12

MossyD12 is on a distinguished road

yeah i use a vital gear single pin and i love it! i shot lots of deer with it.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
archeryassasin
trophy class deer hunter

archeryassasin is on a distinguished road

i also shoot vital gear single pins and im very successful with.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
MossyD12

MossyD12 is on a distinguished road

brother
Old 02-12-2011, 08:03 PM   #9
elkslayer4x5
EastOutfitters

elkslayer4x5 is on a distinguished road

I hunt with a HHA OL 5519, leave it at 30 yys, but don't lock mine down. MIne has 5 feet of fiber, and in full light needs the rheostat, cause it will starburst in stron daylight. If the eyes are starting to go, drop by your favorite shop and ask the see the Speciatly Archery super ball peep and a range of verifiers, I use the pink, #5 lowest power and now see pin and target clearly again.
04 Martin Cougar Elite Nitrous C X Quiktune 1000
elkslayer4x5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:12 AM   #10
Bowhunter4545
Archery field tester

Bowhunter4545 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
I hunt with a HHA OL 5519, leave it at 30 yys, but don't lock mine down. MIne has 5 feet of fiber, and in full light needs the rheostat, cause it will starburst in stron daylight. If the eyes are starting to go, drop by your favorite shop and ask the see the Speciatly Archery super ball peep and a range of verifiers, I use the pink, #5 lowest power and now see pin and target clearly again.
Yea, my eyes are getting weaker, and am seeing a big fuzzy pin now, will the verifier help with that?
Bowhunter4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #11
vortec 1
Scent free & sittin High

vortec 1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunter4545 View Post
Yea, my eyes are getting weaker, and am seeing a big fuzzy pin now, will the verifier help with that?
Yes it does. I can see far but I have been noticing this last deer hunting season, the pin was fuzzy or I saw three pins. Yesterday I went to the pro shop and got a 1/4 inch peep made from Specilty Archery.I got it in my case , with the Blue lable verifer and I can see that pin clear as a bell. My peep site also comes with a 1/8 sleave so you can reduce the site to different sizes. Very Cool!!!
Old 02-14-2011, 07:46 AM   #12
AxeMonster

i got the one with 3 feet of fiber with a 29 pin.they should be here tomorrow.pretty excited about getting them.kinda dreed the sighting in process
Old 02-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #13
elkslayer4x5
EastOutfitters

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMonster View Post
i got the one with 3 feet of fiber with a 29 pin.they should be here tomorrow.pretty excited about getting them.kinda dreed the sighting in process
Whats to dread? Shooting is shooting, instead of seeing how many spots you hit, you just shoot for group, adjust pin accordingly, step back, I shoot in all my marks, every five yards. HHA's come with a pac of sight tapes, put a piece of masking tape on, find your 20 yds setting, step back to 25, move slider 1/4" and see where it hits, once you find the pin gap, it will gradually increase, but not much, depending on your equpiment, of course. But if your gap at 20 and 25 is say 1/4", about 1 1/2 will be 60 yd, once youve found your 60 ( think thats what the instructions say, 20 and 60 ) then find matching tape that fits your marks, move your slider pointer to the 20 yd mark, remove masking tape and replace with matching tape from pac. You can also move the pointer to the 20 yd mark, remove tape find match and replace. So easy even old guys like me can do it!
Old 02-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #14
elkslayer4x5
EastOutfitters

Sorry for such a long post, favorite subject
Old 02-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #15
AxeMonster

i saw a video on u tube from ikes outdoors and looked at the instruction sheet on there website.it says it comes with a sight in tape.but the way u described it might be easier than the way they show.i know it cant be to hard.just never done it before.thanks for your help.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #16
elkslayer4x5
EastOutfitters

Nope not too hard, I've always enjoyed the sighting in process. I started marking sights like that way back in the late 60's, shoot Field then with a Bear HC-30, a 72" recurve. The 1st archery club I joined had an outdoor 42 target field course, about 4 miles from where I lived and worked. The sight-in butts were at the end of a bank of butts ( 10 ) and streched out along a old logging road, and every time it would raim, more arrowhead parts would be exposed. I worked as a prep cook/pearldiver, and worked a split shift, 9-12, 5-10. Each day my son andf I would go out to the range, I'd shoot 14 , and he tag along. After the round I'd work on form and release, shot with a finger tab, wasn't till the 70's I saw a release, nothing like we use now. While I was shooting and resting betwing shots, or going back and forth retriecing arrows, we'd find bit and pieces and every once in a while, after a heavy rain we find good ones! Each time I sight in a new tape, I remember those days with my 4 yo son.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #17
AxeMonster

you been shooting a long time so any advice u give should be good advice.im hopeing my son will take a bigger interest in archery but i dont want to force it on him.he has so many other things he would rather be doing at his age.baseball is gonna be his thing i think.and my sights didnt get here like they were supposed to.ups is backed up from the weather we been having.im gonna pick them up in the morning at terminal.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:24 AM   #18
elkslayer4x5
EastOutfitters

Yeah, you guys have been getting hit pretty hard, gonna take a bit to get running smooth again. Take you time, enjoy the process, concentrate on where in the spot you want this arrow. What's Uncle Ted call it, "the mystical flight of the arrow'? When your son sees how much you enjoy the sport, his intrest will pick, let hin take he time, keep his equipment light weight, no need to ruch, they grow up too fast anyway. .
Got kin in southwest MO, they're finally getting all dug out.

Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 02-16-2011 at 04:32 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:04 AM   #19
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default One pin

Been using one very accurately for many years.

I use the CBE Tex Hunter. CBE Tex Target can be used for tournament and hunting.

HHA is a fine product as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture%201569.jpg (148.5 KB, 285 views)
Old 02-16-2011, 07:45 AM   #20
AxeMonster

funny thing was we had 6" of snow on thursday.by saturday it was 55 degrees and been in the upper 60's most of this week.oh well its the south.i am looking forward to sighting them in an like u said gonna take my time and do it to the best of MY abilatey.nice gobbler D.B. thats my ulaimite goal but so far they have escaped me with a bow.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:30 PM   #21
elkslayer4x5
EastOutfitters

Almost have to hunt out of a blind for turkeys. They see too well for much un hidden movement! How about it DB, in a blind or up a tree to get that gobbler?
Old 02-16-2011, 08:17 PM   #22
AxeMonster

well elkslayer got my sights in put them on my axe 6 and didnt work out at all.for some reason i just cant hit consistent with that bow i think it s becaues the grip is so thin.well right before xmas i traded a hoyt alphamax in on a mission venture an a craze riged the venture with a nap apache rest and really like the way it felt an was alot more consistent so i put the hha sights on it and i love um.got it set in on 20 yrds so far but it got dark.i also have a monster that i enjoy shooting but its name says it all at 70#.i guess some would ask why so many bows,but i dont c it any different than somone who buys guns and trades um around.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:24 PM   #23
AxeMonster

fixin ti try to get a thicker grip for that pse.any suggestions
Old 02-17-2011, 04:03 PM   #24
elkslayer4x5
EastOutfitters

Oh I've always got a sugestion or two, but you need to be carefull when 'fatting up the grip' Too much and you can tourque the bow. Which bow are we talking about, the PSE? Does it have grip panels? If it does, remove 'em, cut shims from plastic , as many as you need and replace panels over the shims. If it doesn't have panels like that, you could wrap the grip with "ToughTec 9000" A durable, abrasion resistant non-scuff grip material which retains grip, wet or dry.
http://questoutfitters.com/miscellaneous.htm#Misc. Fabrics

Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 02-17-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #25
AxeMonster

yes the pse axe 6.it has the real slim grip.i was torqing it with the slim grip.i worked with it all afternoon.i put a new qad ultra rest hd on it an put some tennis racket grip tape on it,just enuff to make it about the size of my mission an monster and got it tuned in.i really like the axe so i spend more time with it.can u get that tape ur talking about from lancaster archery.tomorrow im gonna get the mission like i want it.i can shoot it more consistent thats why i put the hha sights on it.the axe was the only bow that didnt have a drop away on it and putting the qad on it seemed to help a bunch.thanks for all ur advice
Old 02-17-2011, 08:29 PM   #26
elkslayer4x5
EastOutfitters

That ToughTec 9000 is a fabric, not a tape. The only place I know of to find is the link I provided. We use it as part of our Bow Sling shoulder pad, and as a non slip/thermal wrap on our bows, but we hand sew it in place and then clamp the grip panels over it. It streches in one direction, so the grip is tight before the grip panel clamp it down.
You're welcome to all the advise you can use, I've forgotten more than I know....
Old 02-18-2011, 08:25 AM   #27
AxeMonster

the pse has a solid handle with small rubber grips.i think the tape i put around has made a big difference.that will do till i find some better stuff.chk out the picture i posted on the hogs topic.we caught 7 at once.that trap has a weight activated trip.iguess the were so small it took that many to trip it.i think that makes a total of 13 hogs we have pinned up.and yes these are wild and quite aggressive.gonna turn back out an hunt them this spring.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:33 AM   #28
Compound Comedian

Compound Comedian is on a distinguished road

with todays bows , all you need is a 25 and 35 yd pin in most tree stand situations.
just a question? do you single pin guys set up at about 25 yds and then make an adj if thought necessary when game is in range? or do you guesstimate range and hold over or under?
Compound Comedian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #29
archeryassasin
trophy class deer hunter

im set for 20 25 30 35 and so on up to 65. and i mainly keep it on 30 because thats what most your hunting situations are and my bow doesnt drop much at all from 20 to 30.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:15 PM   #30
AxeMonster

i can say one thing the single pin has helped with the bluring problem is was having with multi pin sights that and the 29 size.should have switched along time ago.hha makes a qualitey sight.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:18 PM   #31
elkslayer4x5
EastOutfitters

I hunt in the Pacific Northwest, steep, heavily wooded coastal mountain ranges, but mostly I'm on logging roads, on my trusty Rockhopper. Thousands of acres of Timber companys lands, all crisscrossed with roads. Access is avaible if you write to the companys, just no moterized traffic. Walk or ride, I ride. But back to your question, I leave my HHA OL 5519 set on 30 yds, and don't lock it down, I carry a range finder and always check yardages especially in clear cuts, where you have nothing to judge size with. So, for me no, I don't hold over or under, but take the time to range and set.

Bowhunting forum
Old 02-19-2011, 04:27 PM   #32
elkslayer4x5
EastOutfitters

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMonster View Post
i can say one thing the single pin has helped with the bluring problem is was having with multi pin sights that and the 29 size.should have switched along time ago.hha makes a qualitey sight.
You may want to start thinking about the Speciatly Archery super peep with screww in verifires, My pins where blurring on me, am using a #5 the weakest porew and see a crystal clear pin and target. Besy to see if one gonna help is go to your favorite shop, hold a verifer to your eye and a sight out at bows length away from you. When the pin clears up, thats your power, that also make clairfiers which fix other vision troubles.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #33
AxeMonster

I'll chk an see if they have anything like that,but i doubt it.dont have a real solid archery shop near by.most of the time i either order it or drive 120 miles round trip to the one that would probably have it.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:35 AM   #34
archeryassasin
trophy class deer hunter

you can also get verifyers that are diffrent colors for making ur target more visible if it is dark when u look through ur peep
Old 02-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #35
elkslayer4x5
EastOutfitters

I picked up my 2nd one off the AT classifieds, peep and 2 verifiers, and have seen the full kit for about $35. Want to see that pin like a teen again?
Old 02-23-2011, 06:47 AM   #36
AxeMonster

I'll look around for the kit,im sure it will make a big difference.I really like ur bike an the way u have it set up,thats pretty impressive.Alot cheaper than on of those elec.powered rigs.Ive often thought about getting a mtn.bike just to take with us camping so i could ride around the parks with the kids,if i get one you will have to tell me how u rigged ur bow holder.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #37
elkslayer4x5
EastOutfitters

The bow rack is just a modified handlebar atv gun rack, pretty much like this one, just remember to get the replacemant rubber straps. That the modification you need, other wise, your bow will want to ride riser down, string up, I wanted it laying flat, so to make a flat spot I used 1/8" elastic cord and tied the right sized loop, the bow rests on those 4 1/8" cords and is held onwn snugly by the included rubber straps, if I knew that I'd need them I' have gotten replacements at the same time, just happened to have the elastic cord on hand. The Pack is a whole other story, try finding one of those babys!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Kolpi...?WTz_l=Unknown
Old 02-24-2011, 07:27 AM   #38
AxeMonster

i kinda figured thats what u had on there.for the 6 months i have been going thru some serioues back trouble and on my second round of shots in my lower back.i asked doc.yesterday about getting a bike and she didnt no if that would be a good idea or not.but ive been working out twice aday lifting weights(small ones) and using a rubberband apperatice thats kinda like a bow trainer.i looked at some on walmarts websight an there not that exspensive may give on a try an see.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #39
elkslayer4x5
EastOutfitters

Setting up my bike like that has increased my hunting range tremendously. Here in the Pacific Northwest, there's millions of huntable acres behind locked gates, all you need is permission, ( just write to the timber company, tell them who you are, and how you hunt ) and time. 80-90% or more hunters never go more that a mile from a motor vehicle, and the critters know it.
If you bad back will allow you to ride, its great excerise. And not a sound game associates with danger....

Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 02-24-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #40
AxeMonster

i found me one today,but its been pouring rain all day an figured i would wait till morrow.our club is a timber company but they will let u ride 4 wheelers but ur right about the sound.i bet u can see alot more game just rideing the roads.by the way love my sights.makes alot of difference.havnt got them completley sighted in yet but i want them to dead on.still got plenty of time before turkey season.turkey hunting is my favorite.nothing like a gobbler almost blowing ur hat off gets my heart going like a drum.population has been going down over the last few yrs.hope this year is better.got a big flock located already.at least 25 hens.any turkeys out your way