Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 02-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
kgoss33@gmail.com

kgoss33@gmail.com is on a distinguished road
Default Shot execution

I shot my 3-d round today, and it was not the best round i've ever seen....My string has some broken strands, not sure what that affects...if anything, but i was having a few visibility issues, hoping to get that fixed today, the bow held well, but my question is about the shot execution, i was shooting with ken lantz, a hoyt pro, and after the round i asked how he shoots his release, he says, he pulls to the wall, then relaxes a little, but keeps it against the wall, and waits for it to go off....evreyone's different, i get that.....but im still trying to find whats best for me....he also said for his thumb release, him among alot of other good shooters are basically squeezing the thumb peg like a trigger on a gun.....anyone have any opinions on these?

Thanks.
kgoss33@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #2
jame

jame is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoss33@gmail.com View Post
I shot my 3-d round today, and it was not the best round i've ever seen....My string has some broken strands, not sure what that affects...if anything, but i was having a few visibility issues, hoping to get that fixed today, the bow held well, but my question is about the shot execution, i was shooting with ken lantz, a hoyt pro, and after the round i asked how he shoots his release, he says, he pulls to the wall, then relaxes a little, but keeps it against the wall, and waits for it to go off....evreyone's different, i get that.....but im still trying to find whats best for me....he also said for his thumb release, him among alot of other good shooters are basically squeezing the thumb peg like a trigger on a gun.....anyone have any opinions on these?

Thanks.
Its each to there own. Different strokes for different folks. I try stay a little more aggressive then just relaxing and letting it go off. I like to pull into the wall and load my draw side. I do relax my release hand some but try to stay aggressive with the release. I pull untill it fires. If your release hand and fingers are relaxed some then the release will pivot on your index finger.
I dont shoot a trigger much but when I do I relax my hand some but stay hard against the wall. Then I will gradually lay more pressure on the trigger untill it fires.

I prefer a hinge over a trigger but both styles are proven to win. The one thing I can say about a hinge is most people set the rotation to light. You need to set them slow so you can really get aggressive with you shot IMO.

Anyhow I hope some of this may help.
Good Luck,
Jame Jamison
jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
kgoss33@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jame View Post
Its each to there own. Different strokes for different folks. I try stay a little more aggressive then just relaxing and letting it go off. I like to pull into the wall and load my draw side. I do relax my release hand some but try to stay aggressive with the release. I pull untill it fires. If your release hand and fingers are relaxed some then the release will pivot on your index finger.
I dont shoot a trigger much but when I do I relax my hand some but stay hard against the wall. Then I will gradually lay more pressure on the trigger untill it fires.

I prefer a hinge over a trigger but both styles are proven to win. The one thing I can say about a hinge is most people set the rotation to light. You need to set them slow so you can really get aggressive with you shot IMO.

Anyhow I hope some of this may help.
Good Luck,
Jame Jamison

Jame,
Are you pulling with your back, or your hand? i've tried both, and pulling works better that staying static and waiting....but i've never really tried to sit and wait for it to go off...just didnt seem right. What release do you shoot?

and thanks for getting back.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:40 AM   #4
BOYER1

BOYER1 is on a distinguished road
Default moment of truth

I draw into the wall and slowly rotate elbow to the back (modified back tension). This action pulls my hand against my thumb trigger. Don't know if this helps you but I've found what feels good to me. I'm shooting a older carter 3d 2000 release.
BOYER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:00 AM   #5
MeanV2

MeanV2 is on a distinguished road

If I had a few broken strands on my string I would not suggest shooting that bow

Dan
www.meanvarchery.com
MeanV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:58 AM   #6
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of

Back tension has always been about pulling with the back and relaxing the hand/wrist to allow the shot to happen, it started with recurves and longbows .... it hasn't changed

The secret to shooting a hinge or thumb trigger is what part of your scaplua you move... Try only moving the lowest point ONLY in toward your spine and you'll see the motion that fires a hinge...
Old 02-18-2011, 08:25 AM   #7
vortec 1
Scent free & sittin High

vortec 1 is on a distinguished road
Default String and Release

I'm with MEANV2, What ever you do, don't shoot that bow t'ill you get a new string on it. I use a Scott Shark release which works very well for me. I have the trigger set as sensitive as it can be.I don't pull to the wall but hair line the trigger and it goes off.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #8
vortec 1
Scent free & sittin High

vortec 1 is on a distinguished road

I forgot to mention, that with your string in that condition, you would have what's called string streach.You also get this with a worn string, not necessarily with strans broken and this will affect accuracy.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:30 AM   #9
kgoss33@gmail.com

I appreciate the feedback, im getting the string and cables switched out today...was erratic and low yesterday, my 40 pin is much lower than my 30, making that gap HUGE. i hope yesterday was a mechanical thing.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #10
jame

jame is on a distinguished road

I pull with my back. When you come to draw and anchor there should be a continuation of pulling in your back. Its around my scapula and rt below my shoulder. At the same time your release hand should be somewhat relaxed allowing the relase to rotate. You will feel the release rotate or slide in your hand a little. I feel my self pulling the whole time in my back and just below my shoulder. Both hands should be relaxed rt along with your should tops also.

I shoot a scott black hole rt now.

Im not gonna say that a person just rotating or relaxing there hand allowing the release to rotate doesnt work cause there are some awesome shooters that do that. Like I said before. Different strokes for different folks.
Good luck.
Jame
jame is offline   Reply With Quote