Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 02-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #1
OrthoPT

OrthoPT is on a distinguished road
Default Small diameter arrow compared to Large diameter arrows

I was shooting X Cutters this past weekend at 60 yds, with 80 grn points and with minimal wind I was getting drift, and I thought about going to fat boys or lightspds, what are you guys thoughts.
Thanks for your advice.
Eric
Mile High Archery
OrthoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
bfisher

bfisher will become famous soon enough

What's the FOC on your arrows. You may not know it, but if FOC isn't high enough it can allow the arrows to drift and longer ranges. Or if there is too much drag on the back end it can do the same thing. You might try smaller lighter fletching.
Worldwide Scuba Diver
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
OrthoPT

8.0 FOC, and using 1.5 AAE, but I do have a pin bushing and pin nock on the back.
Mile High Archery
Old 02-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
OrthoPT

Ok so let me pose this question: Would fatboys or the 22 series pros from GT be a better choice for 3d her in the west where we get our fair share of wind.
Mile High Archery
Old 02-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrthoPT View Post
Ok so let me pose this question: Would fatboys or the 22 series pros from GT be a better choice for 3d her in the west where we get our fair share of wind.
What class are you shooting? and What is your general terrain?

If your shooting Open class and in a generally open area I would steer towards Lightspeed 3D selects or a/c/c's.

I wouldn't go with anything lighter than 100gr. tip up front reguardless of arrow size.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #6
OrthoPT

up and downs, with some flats but the wind, I have tried ACE and miss some of the line cutters that a little bigger arrow gives.
Mile High Archery
Old 02-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
Brown Hornet

Brown Hornet will become famous soon enough

Heavier points will help.....but those big fatties are going to drift more then a Fatboy, 22 series or a standard diameter carbon no matter what.

I won't usually shoot a shaft bigger then a 23XX outdoors for 3D....and lately when I have shot 3D I just used my field setup with my little 530 Nanos....I get no drift but I also don't really loose anything from not having a line cutter. If I shot ASA shoots still then I would go with a CXL or Line Jammer. But my area shoots mostly IBO scoring so I don't loose anything not shoot a fatter shaft.

That being said....Levi shoots regular GTs and Cousins has shot 500 up in his last 3 K50 ASA shoots he has shot in with X10s. If you shoot a lot of open terrain 3D I would go with a smaller shaft.
Brown Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #8
OrthoPT

Thats what I thought but wasnt sure thought about using the 3d lightspds or regular light spds or man up and shoot aces. What do you think hornet.
Mile High Archery
Old 02-14-2011, 10:49 PM   #9
Supermag

Supermag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Hornet View Post
Heavier points will help.....but those big fatties are going to drift more then a Fatboy, 22 series or a standard diameter carbon no matter what.

I won't usually shoot a shaft bigger then a 23XX outdoors for 3D....and lately when I have shot 3D I just used my field setup with my little 530 Nanos....I get no drift but I also don't really loose anything from not having a line cutter. If I shot ASA shoots still then I would go with a CXL or Line Jammer. But my area shoots mostly IBO scoring so I don't loose anything not shoot a fatter shaft.

That being said....Levi shoots regular GTs and Cousins has shot 500 up in his last 3 K50 ASA shoots he has shot in with X10s. If you shoot a lot of open terrain 3D I would go with a smaller shaft.
Honest question here: Do you really think 1/64" makes enough difference in the wind that you won't shoot a 24/64" X Cutter but you will shoot a 23/64" Fatboy? Wouldn't the added weight of the X Cutter over the Fatboy more than make up for that?

I completely agree that the large diameter shafts are more affected by the wind than a normal size carbon. In fact, I shoot the X-ringer with 165 grs (125 grain plus insert) in the nose and Rayzer feathers and have seen them fly to the target almost sideways in 40 mph cross wind with about 3 feet of drift at 40 yards.
Supermag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:17 AM   #10
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

I used Fatboys last year with good results. Put 100 grains in the tip and they seem to fly well out to 8o yards.
But you pay in windy conditions
This year on windy days I going to put away the Fatboys and set up some ACC's for windy conditions.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #11
ruttinbuck
James Drouillard

ruttinbuck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I was shooting X Cutters this past weekend at 60 yds, with 80 grn points and with minimal wind I was getting drift, and I thought about going to fat boys or lightspds, what are you guys thoughts.
Thanks for your advice.
Eric
Are you setting your arrows up for ASA or IBO? What is your wt of the over all arrow?
Old 02-15-2011, 08:56 AM   #12
OrthoPT

Setting up for IBO and the overall weight is 340 gran. 28.5 length, pin and nock, 80 grn up front and have went back and forth with 90 and 100grn. with no real change at the longer distances with wind.
Mile High Archery
Old 02-15-2011, 09:24 AM   #13
Rattlinman
trust me, I know

Rattlinman is on a distinguished road

If you want a small diameter shaft, I got a look at the new Kinetic from Goldtip and they are pretty cool. The 500's are 7.6 gpi amd the 400's are 9.5 gpi. They are .258 od...so they are real skinny !!

I'm shooting the Triple X's for 3d and I have seen a little drift past 30 yards with a little wind...if we had a lot of wind I'd definitely go with a skinny shaft. What you might loose in line cutting you'll gain in left and rights.
Rattlinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:21 AM   #14
ruttinbuck
James Drouillard

ruttinbuck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Setting up for IBO and the overall weight is 340 gran. 28.5 length, pin and nock, 80 grn up front and have went back and forth with 90 and 100grn. with no real change at the longer distances with wind.
Like mentioned above, I don't think Fatboys are going to be any different then your XCutters. I do feel you won't have as much drift using a Lightspeed or XTHunter/Pro Hunter. I do think you should take notes on how much drift your getting and keep them handy for when you get into a situation like this, you'll know how much to play the wind. Also keep in mind if your shooting National IBO events and your in any open class, you'll only have a handfull of 50 yarders a round.

Last edited by ruttinbuck; 02-15-2011 at 10:25 AM.
ruttinbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:25 PM   #15
Brown Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermag View Post
Honest question here: Do you really think 1/64" makes enough difference in the wind that you won't shoot a 24/64" X Cutter but you will shoot a 23/64" Fatboy? Wouldn't the added weight of the X Cutter over the Fatboy more than make up for that?

I completely agree that the large diameter shafts are more affected by the wind than a normal size carbon. In fact, I shoot the X-ringer with 165 grs (125 grain plus insert) in the nose and Rayzer feathers and have seen them fly to the target almost sideways in 40 mph cross wind with about 3 feet of drift at 40 yards.
You wouldn't think it would make that big of a difference....and in the grand scheme of things it won't really. But I know that the fat shafts I have shot outside 25XX and 26XX size shafts always drift more then my 23XX size shafts....even if it is only 1" less or say the center of the X to the edge of the X it is a big difference when it comes to scoring. Heck even the difference between an ACC and a Nano is HUGE when the wind kicks up. I remember one time I was shooting a FITA and a guy on my target was shooting 3-28s. The wind changed from right to left to left to right and not nearly as strong between the target move from 90 to 70m....I was still hitting in the 10 just on the other side. The guy shooting ACCs went from hitting in the same area as I was to hitting in the 6/7 ring. He had adjusted his sight during warm up at 90m and during scoring at 90m. He was actually beating me when we left 90 because of my release going off on me twice when I went to let down because of a giant wind gust that blew me off the target and shooting a 2 both times and then shooting a zero trying to hurry and draw when the wind died once. When we left 70m I was beating him....the next day we shot about the same but I finished one spot ahead of him because of the wind shift and effect on his shafts at 70m.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:27 PM   #16
Brown Hornet

Quote:
Thats what I thought but wasnt sure thought about using the 3d lightspds or regular light spds or man up and shoot aces. What do you think hornet.
That's a big difference in price.....I wouldn't shoot ACEs for 3D though.

I liked ACEs when I shot them for a brief time. But I found them to be pretty fragile in comparison to my Nanos.....
Old 02-18-2011, 06:48 AM   #17
Compound Comedian

Compound Comedian is on a distinguished road

i think Fat Boys are better than X Cutters but fats are 47/128th and X Cutters are 25/64th , not much difference. More weight in the nose and smaller vanes may help.
Compound Comedian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:45 PM   #18
OrthoPT

Would a light spd 3d be a better choice
Mile High Archery
Old 02-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #19
Brown Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compound Comedian View Post
i think Fat Boys are better than X Cutters but fats are 47/128th and X Cutters are 25/64th , not much difference. More weight in the nose and smaller vanes may help.
On paper there isn't a big difference....on target and in the wind there is a big difference between a 23 size shaft and a 25 size shaft.

Quote:
Would a light spd 3d be a better choice
IMO yes....but if I was going with that size shaft I would lean toward a Maxima Blue Streak....I just feel the Maxima line is a better shaft then the Light Speed.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:02 PM   #20
Radar
Story of my life

Radar will become famous soon enough

I shoot fatboys for indoor and lightspeeds for outdoor. I shot fatboys outdoors and then I started shooting field and saw how bad they flew in the wind. I started to realize that maybe the bad shots I made at longer range werent always me. I switched to lightspeeds for outdoor and field with flexfletch shieldcut vanes and they fly amazing outdoors. Last year at Field sectionals I saw alot of guys shooting those nano's hornet was talking about and they really liked them and they flew great. i did shoot some pro series 22's one year and they were great indoors and out, but then I messed them up by cutting them shorter and going with only 80 gr. up front, they flew like crap and I was screwed they wouldnt hit the broad side of a barn at 50 yds in the wind I was soooo pissed I messed up some really nice arrows

Hunting: 2009 Alphamax35 (Blacked out) 70#, 29", HHA Slider, Bisquit, Easton ACC 3-60, Rage 100 gr. 2 blade
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote