Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 03-15-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
JTClark

JTClark is on a distinguished road
Default need some idea

thinking of build a homemade archery target, i would like to see a pictures or information of step to step to build a archery target, then i can get some idea to build my own target coz i can get tons of flat cardboards across street by coffee shop,

post your pictures or step to step with size measure and tools will help get my mind up to create my own..
JTClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
Wheely
Wheely Threads

Wheely has a spectacular aura aboutWheely has a spectacular aura about

for my first target, I got a burlap bag and filled it with plastic...it worked for quite a while

If you have access to cardboard, I would build a frame and start filling it layer by layer until you have enough

Let us know what you come up with
Wheely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:58 PM   #3
vanillanutz

vanillanutz is on a distinguished road

You can take a box and stuff it full of old clothes rags towels whatever you got or can get your hands on remove all the metal and zippers and stuff first. works great just only problem with it is the cardboard can't be left outside of course and after couple hundred shots it is shot up. i would say if ya can get a burlap sack would work Alot better. plus if arrow blows through weak spot in target cardboard hard on fletches
vanillanutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
longcut36

longcut36 has a spectacular aura aboutlongcut36 has a spectacular aura about
Default target

4 years ago I made a frame 4'x5'x3' and put chicken wire around it and stuffed it with rags. at that time you could get a 100 lb bale of rags for 25.00 from RAGS R US. they have stores in about ever state. you could shoot the bale like it is with out a frame.

sent using my keyboard and two fingers
longcut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
CutTheLoop

CutTheLoop will become famous soon enoughCutTheLoop will become famous soon enough

Posted this on AT around June of 2009... still stopping arrows to this day.

I work for our local School District. We had hired a company to deliver and build computer tables for our labs.

While I was walking through checking on them yesterday, they had unboxed all of the tables and there was cardboard packing materials everywhere.

Saw several pieces that caught my eye(first pic). I immediately thought "Target backstop" General Archery Forum

Each piece is made of 4 sheet, cut almost all the way through in 1/4's then fold over onto each other.

They were more than happy to let me haul off some of their "trash".

Got them home, built a simple base, stacked them carefuly, then used a 2 ton bottle jack and the center ceiling joist of my shop to compress them a little tight. Wrapped a strong ratchet strap around the stack and cranked it down.

Arrows go in as straight as when they left the string. I figure it will make for a good Bare Shaft tuning tool.

This weekend I plan to get a roll of pallet wrap, and wrap the whole stack, hopefully to prevent it absorbing moisture and extend the life.

Name:  DSC02032.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  24.4 KB

Name:  DSC02034.jpg
Size:  35.0 KB

Name:  DSC02033.jpg
Size:  26.2 KB

CutTheLoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:51 PM   #6
Wheely
Wheely Threads

Wheely has a spectacular aura aboutWheely has a spectacular aura about

Perfect CutTheLoop! you can do the same thing with carpet if you can find a contractor that has a bunch of old carpet.
Wheely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:23 PM   #7
JTClark

JTClark is on a distinguished road

just got back from across street at coffee shop and wow they have tons of same size cardboards so i pick up most of them and put it in and will have to go get more cos will need to figure out on the measure. but burlap sound like good idea and fast build.

on the burlap how will u make stand up if u fill somethings in bag, beefore start fill up with somethings like plastic bag or clothes or carpet ?
will it need backstop to aviod lost a arrow or hit somethings..
JTClark is offline   Reply With Quote