Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 04-22-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
sean21toledo

sean21toledo is on a distinguished road
Default New to archery and this site :)

First, hello everyone from Tucson.

I am brand new to archery and I got my first bow as a gift. Well, a gift to myself

It is a Pearson Bulldog, 29" draw and 60-70#. I am 6'2, around 250 lbs (depending on dinner that night )

I have measured my draw length and it is 29" so that is a good fit.

I have to get some accessories for it (I am assuming)
I have tried to do some research before I came on here asking everyone to do my research for me

I would need sights, quiver, and an arrow rest correct? Is there anything else you guys could think of? Also any tips would be great.

My buddy back in Ohio told me to get "The Block" archery target as they seem to outlast all the other ones. He said he has had his for 5 years.

Last edited by sean21toledo; 04-22-2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Entered location
sean21toledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
Wheely
Wheely Threads

Wheely has a spectacular aura aboutWheely has a spectacular aura about

do you have a good archery shop helping you out?
Wheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
sean21toledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheely View Post

do you have a good archery shop helping you out?
No, this was all based on friends recommendation when he was out here, he measured my draw. We looked for a bow on ebay, and on his recommendation (which I highly trust) I purchased it.

He did also recommend going to a good archery shop. I guess I feel like I could easily get taken advantage of walking in not knowing ANYTHING about archery.

Main reason I purchased this is for eventual hunting.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
Wheely
Wheely Threads

Wheely has a spectacular aura aboutWheely has a spectacular aura about

I can't say you will or won't get taken advantage of in a shop, but in addition to getting advice here, it might help if you do go into a shop to get a feel for what is offered, prices, and if you are comfortable with the person(s) in the shop. You don't have to buy the first time you are in there.
Wheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
J.C.

J.C. is a jewel in the roughJ.C. is a jewel in the roughJ.C. is a jewel in the rough

you left arrows and a release from your list. a stabilizer would be nice too but not absolutely mandatory.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:43 PM   #6
srj26

srj26 will become famous soon enough

Locate at least three local shops and go and talk with them. You'll get a feel for who is out to help you and who is out to...well you know. I have been to 5 shops within 40 miles of where I live and I only deal with 3 now(and that was just after going in and talking with them briefly). You'll need to find someone you feel you can trust to help you get your new bow tuned in. You can't just slap a rest and sights on it and start shooting. Things need to be lined up and if your're just starting out you'll end up racking your brain out trying to figure things out.
Good luck
srj26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
sean21toledo

Thanks for the advice everyone. Should I get my bow restrung? How much does that usually run? I will hit up some shops and feel them out. My bow arrives wednesday. Should I take my bow with me or go without to feel them out?
Old 04-24-2011, 03:40 AM   #8
sean21toledo

I went to a local shophere and the archery guy was actually out turkey hunting today. He should be in monday so I will swing over there. He is actually the manager of the store.

I spoke with one gentleman who seemed very sincere. I liked the vibe I got from there. We will find out more on monday.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:49 AM   #9
Dredly
Site Guru

Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly

Wow you are taking New to a whole new level bud :P

Here is your basic needs:

Bow
Sight
Arrows w/ points, fletched and nocks
release
rest

optional but HIGHLY recommended:
peep (in string)
stabilizer
wrist strap
string stopper

Optional (completely your choice)
kisser button
string silencers
vibration dampeners
sight light
Arm guard

don't take it the wrong way, but here are some questions we need to know:

1. Do you find Bunnyman attractive? (Its like asking someone what day it is after being hit by a truck to make sure they aren't brain damaged)

2. How did he determine your Drawlength? Did he use the "wingspan" method?

3. Did he check for eye dominance? it makes a big difference

If you have an experienced friend nearby to walk you through setting up and shooting you should be okay, otherwise you need a pro shop. I would absolutely take your bow in, have them set it up and give you some pointers.

keep in mind, they most likely have an hourly charge, don't expect something for nothing :P
Old 04-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #10
sean21toledo

Bunnyman is the reason I stalked him to here. It just happened to be an archery forum so I lucked out ;-)

He measured my draw length by holding a tape measure out with my left hand and drawing it back to my chin with my right hand.

I am right eye dominant.

And I didnt take it the wrong way, no worries bud. I am just glad you guys can throw some advice my way. I do have abuddy who I can talk to about the bow setup. We are actually going campin this friday.

Planned on taking the rifle and the bow. Is there anything that needs to be done at the shop myfriend couldn't do? He is pretty informative on anything hunting, been doing it his entire life and is the one who got me started.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:41 AM   #11
bushmasterar15

bushmasterar15 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to 3dshoots from another Arizona member from the northern part of the state.
bushmasterar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:34 PM   #12
Southernfryedyankee

Southernfryedyankee is on a distinguished road

Welcome to this site, lots of good archery folk here.

http://www.godscountryoutdoors.net
http://http://www.meanvarchery.com/home.html
Southernfryedyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:42 PM   #13
sean21toledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushmasterar15 View Post
Welcome to 3dshoots from another Arizona member from the northern part of the state.
Thanks bud!
Old 04-25-2011, 10:47 PM   #14
sean21toledo

So I found my pro shop!

Guy named alex at second amendment sports here in tucson was great. I definitely felt comfortable with the guy and he wasn't out for just the money. He talked with me for quite awhile, explaining everything to me. He even suggested less expensive items based on personal experience, but I still felt that I was the one making the decision.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:08 PM   #15
sean21toledo

So here is the setup we decided on...

He also suggested not buying the items today but going home and talking to my friends to get their opinion too so I felt comfortable with my decisions.

Scott quick shot release

Tru glo tru site xtreme site

Whisker biscuit quick shot

Gold tip warrior 55/75 arrows

He suggested just a hip quiver now to help with finances since I wont be hunting right away.( altho my fiance gave me the go ahead for a bow hunting trip back home in ohio with my friends in january)

Not yet sure on which stabilizer as he suggested I feel different ones on the bow wednesday before i decide.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:04 PM   #16
sean21toledo

So I can't fall asleep for crap tonight. My bow arrives tomorrow and knowing my luck, it wont be until late.

I know not too many here get excited over a 6 year old bow but this being my first bow, I feel like a kid on xmas eve again. I can't really explain it. I wasn't this excited for my first rifle or shotgun.

I have tomorow off of work too :-)
Old 04-27-2011, 01:05 PM   #17
sean21toledo

Well, I might have fallen asleep. Dude said in his ebay post that the bow was in good shape with a little wear. Great starter bow.

What he sends me is a broken bow with one of limbs cracked.

Not really the way I wanted to break into archery

Talk about going from one emotion to the complete opposite.

Well, now I have to handle this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-04-27_10-59-17_774.jpg (154.9 KB, 108 views)
Old 04-27-2011, 01:17 PM   #18
Dredly
Site Guru

DON'T SHOOT IT

Immediately file a claim with Paypal and Ebay that the good you received were damaged and not the same as the description of the product. You'll get all your money back in short order.

I would contact the seller as well and advise what you are doing and offer to send the bow back to him on his dime if he wants it. also take pictures of the box it came in or the seller will attempt to say it was damaged in transit.

Then stop shopping for bows on Ebay and go look on Archerytalk, always better prices and better people
Old 04-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #19
sean21toledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
DON'T SHOOT IT

Immediately file a claim with Paypal and Ebay that the good you received were damaged and not the same as the description of the product. You'll get all your money back in short order.

I would contact the seller as well and advise what you are doing and offer to send the bow back to him on his dime if he wants it. also take pictures of the box it came in or the seller will attempt to say it was damaged in transit.

Then stop shopping for bows on Ebay and go look on Archerytalk, always better prices and better people
Didnt shoot it. First place I took it was my archery shop so I have a witness. ****ty but I have learned my lesson I guess. Thanks for directing me to a new place to look for a bow.

Filing a claim with ebay and paypal right now. Thanks and wish me good luck.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #20
vortec 1
Scent free & sittin High

vortec 1 is on a distinguished road

I really feel for ya, makes me sick!! I never buy used bow's because you never know what kind of history it's been through. I would take all the money you have for excessories and if you have enough just buy a new bow and build it one piece at a time.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:40 PM   #21
sean21toledo

Guy apologized and is refunding me money and paying for the shipping.
Found a local guy with a 2005 Fred Bear buckmaster 4000, tru glo 5 pin, biscuit whisker, quiver, hard case, $220. Already shot it and love it!
Old 04-27-2011, 09:45 PM   #22
sean21toledo

Oh yea, and a stabilizer! Bullseyes zfrom 20 and 30 yard. Just high at 40
Old 04-28-2011, 01:00 AM   #23
srj26

srj26 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean21toledo View Post
Found a local guy with a 2005 Fred Bear buckmaster 4000, tru glo 5 pin, biscuit whisker, quiver, hard case, $220. Already shot it and love it!
Most Ebay sellers will go to any lengths to keep from getting any negative feed back. Great to hear the seller is taking care of you! I do alot of shopping on Ebay and so far have only gotten burnt once (knock on wood(had none around used my head)).
If you do anymore shopping on there look for sellers that operate an archerystore or specilize just in archery. They are usually the best.
Good luck with your new bow Fred Bear seems to making a pretty nice bow now adays.
srj26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:37 AM   #24
vortec 1
Scent free & sittin High

vortec 1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean21toledo View Post
Good for you!!! glad things worked out for ya.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #25
sean21toledo

I again wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted here and helped me out. I did take new to a brand new level

With everything that happened, I feel like things worked out for the best. I got much more with my money, and I got a site that is already sighted in for me up to 40 yds.

I had so much fun shooting last night!! I really never had any instruction, just took everything out to the desert and kind of winged it. I am glad I didnt shoot myself in the foot.

I will try to get some pictures of her up for ya in the next couple of days. Going camping this friday so maybe I can get some up for you by saturday at the latest.

I just cannot get over how much more fun shooting a bow is than shooting my rifle. I want to go shoot again tonight but dont think it will be possible with my schedule today. Maybe I can talk my fiance into getting some pics/vids of me shooting it! That will probably cost me a couple dinners

Thanks again everyone and thanks for getting me started in my new hobby!

Sean
Old 04-28-2011, 01:08 PM   #26
Dredly
Site Guru

Wow, you move fast... hope you like the bow, they are nasty on the jump and their draw cycle is harsh as well. if you like it though then more power to you :P
Old 04-28-2011, 09:36 PM   #27
sean21toledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
Wow, you move fast... hope you like the bow, they are nasty on the jump and their draw cycle is harsh as well. if you like it though then more power to you :P
I guess when the only thing I have to compare it to is a savage arms .308 and remington 870, it is smooth as silk ;-)
Old 04-28-2011, 10:17 PM   #28
sean21toledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortec 1 View Post
I really feel for ya, makes me sick!! I never buy used bow's because you never know what kind of history it's been through. I would take all the money you have for excessories and if you have enough just buy a new bow and build it one piece at a time.
I could possibly do that with my next bow but I really have a lot to learn and wanted to get an older starter bow.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:57 AM   #29
Kiko

Kiko is on a distinguished road

Welcome from NH!
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote