Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 05-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough
Default Are you a breaker or step aside.....

This is starting to drive me crazy........

A few of the local clubs putting on 3d shoots are getting carried away on some targets by placing brush infront of the 10 and 11 ring.

Do you shoot it as it sets, move to the side for a clear shot, or just break off the offensive branch and make your shot?

I'll break it off if I can reach it if not I'll step off to the side to get a clear shot or shoot the back rings if advailable. I was told it was to make it more like a hunting situation......I wouldn't shoot through brush at a deer why should I have for a 3d shoot? Beside 3d doesn't have nothing to do with hunting, the only thing the 2 have in common is the color of the targets.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
poorman
And thats no lie !

poorman has a spectacular aura aboutpoorman has a spectacular aura about

Personally I would step to the side and shoot. I am not into 3D all that much and just do it to tune up for hunting. I personally like the targets with different ojects potentially blocking the vitals.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
bfisher

bfisher will become famous soon enough

I always take issue with shots like this. There are lots of ways to make shots difficult, but always give a clear shot at the vitals, including the "8" scoring area. Tunnel shots where you may have to get on the knees to shoot. You can hide part of the animal behind brush or shoot between trees. Quarter the animal a bit. Any of these things work well to mess with the shooters ability to judge the yardage or mess with the mind little bit., but give the shooters the whole vital area.

I'm with you though. 3D has nothing to do with hunting. It's simply another target venue. There just isn't a defined bullseye to shoot at. I'd clear the offending brush from the path just for spite and then let the people running the shoot know about it and voice my displeasure.
Worldwide Scuba Diver
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorman View Post
Personally I would step to the side and shoot. I am not into 3D all that much and just do it to tune up for hunting. I personally like the targets with different ojects potentially blocking the vitals.
What about a round of 3d tunes you up for hunting?
Old 05-02-2011, 12:13 PM   #5
Gator eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
I always take issue with shots like this. There are lots of ways to make shots difficult, but always give a clear shot at the vitals, including the "8" scoring area. Tunnel shots where you may have to get on the knees to shoot. You can hide part of the animal behind brush or shoot between trees. Quarter the animal a bit. Any of these things work well to mess with the shooters ability to judge the yardage or mess with the mind little bit., but give the shooters the whole vital area.

I'm with you though. 3D has nothing to do with hunting. It's simply another target venue. There just isn't a defined bullseye to shoot at. I'd clear the offending brush from the path just for spite and then let the people running the shoot know about it and voice my displeasure.

I got no problem with setting up the target with the 10 ring next to a tree........it adds alittle pressure aiming in next to a 8 inch tree and it's always fun to rub it in when someone sinks one into the tree. But the brush shots got to stop. I hate to be the winer but I believe I'm gonna voice my opinion at league this week.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:38 PM   #6
Wheely
Wheely Threads

Wheely has a spectacular aura aboutWheely has a spectacular aura about

Something to think about for those who set up the shoots.... set up the targets for different hieghts of people....brush might not be in the way for one person, yet totally block the shot for someone else.
Wheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
poorman
And thats no lie !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
What about a round of 3d tunes you up for hunting?
Looking at an actual animal size target versus a bag or spots can make a difference. At least it does for me.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:43 PM   #8
dbdcougar
He Who Drops His Bow Arm

dbdcougar will become famous soon enough

I NEVER set a target that the 8 ring is not clear on. I wouldn't take a shot in the woods that the "8 ring" area is not clear on so I'd step aside until it was - that's While 3D isn't hunting, when setting a target I ask myself "would I take that shoot in a hunting situation" if the answer is no I change it until I would. I'd have a word with whoever is running the shoot as well; if I did not get satisfaction I would not be back.

PS for Wheely: I do try to remember to bend around as I look at the shot from the stakes to try and be sure different height people still have a shot

Last edited by dbdcougar; 05-02-2011 at 01:59 PM.
dbdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #9
Gator eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheely View Post
Something to think about for those who set up the shoots.... set up the targets for different hieghts of people....brush might not be in the way for one person, yet totally block the shot for someone else.

I think someone here is vertically challenged.

but yes, it should be clear enough for all heights too.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #10
shark3

shark3 has a spectacular aura aboutshark3 has a spectacular aura about

there is a few clubs around here that set shots like this and i don't care for it if the animals head or back side is blocked thats one thing but leave the rings open short or tall they should be seen by all

Red. PSE Supra ME
Black. PSE Supra ME
shark3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:11 PM   #11
Wheely
Wheely Threads

Wheely has a spectacular aura aboutWheely has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I think someone here is vertically challenged.

I am 5' 8", so I am not as vertically challenged as some
Wheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #12
Archerdad

Archerdad will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Archerdad

we might put a log in front of the target or in between trees or a branch just over the top or something , but the vitals are always clear enough for a fair chance at a good shot.
it is hard to keep in mind short people, tall people lefty or righty, but we try to do it so everyone can make the shot.

challenging is and can be fun, making it so you will tear something up trying to "thread the needle" is not a lot of fun to me especially as much as arrows cost.

hard quatering shots are really tough wometimes but like you guys say that is ok as long as it is not blocked by a ton of junk.
Archerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:47 PM   #13
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheely View Post
I am 5' 8", so I am not as vertically challenged as some
Whats that supposed to mean?
Old 05-03-2011, 06:33 AM   #14
Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes will become famous soon enoughHoly Smokes will become famous soon enough

been shooting 3d since the concept and before paper
I have shot thru a 4" pvc pipe in the forks of a dogwood to get the 10
backed off a treestand shot trying to get a clear shot thru the brush
fortunately my foot caught in the step and only fell back on the steps
this is just a smaple of some of the shots we used to do back in tha day of real men archery

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps
Holy Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:44 AM   #15
Gator eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
been shooting 3d since the concept and before paper
I have shot thru a 4" pvc pipe in the forks of a dogwood to get the 10
backed off a treestand shot trying to get a clear shot thru the brush
fortunately my foot caught in the step and only fell back on the steps
this is just a smaple of some of the shots we used to do back in tha day of real men archery
Back in Smokes day they use to give em 10 minute to build the bow out of maple branches and cat gut before each shoot.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:52 AM   #16
jim p

jim p is on a distinguished road

I like to set the shooting stake so that you have to shoot standing up in a hammock. Only kidding.

I guess that clubs can set up the targets like they want but most organization rules require the kill zone to be clear of obstacles.

Just let the club know that all blocked targets will be scored with the highest score possible without an arrow being fired. That will arouse some discussion about how the targets should be set. My guess is that these targets are being set by inexperienced guys or by guys that want to put some luck into the game so that they might have a better chance to win.
jim p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:24 AM   #17
Gator eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim p View Post
I like to set the shooting stake so that you have to shoot standing up in a hammock. Only kidding.

I guess that clubs can set up the targets like they want but most organization rules require the kill zone to be clear of obstacles.

Just let the club know that all blocked targets will be scored with the highest score possible without an arrow being fired. That will arouse some discussion about how the targets should be set. My guess is that these targets are being set by inexperienced guys or by guys that want to put some luck into the game so that they might have a better chance to win.

I don't think it's anything as sinister as that, I mean it is only a weekly league with nothin more than braggin rights at stake..........if anything it's a " let's see how many arrows we get with this one, hehehehe."
Old 05-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #18
Kighty7Xtreme

Kighty7Xtreme is on a distinguished road

I enjoy the challenge that it brings but I do have a problem with some clubs that set their corse up for right handed people only. I have been to clubs where they set up the pin and for me, being left handed, it is nearly impossible to stand on the pin and get a shot off. I wish clubs would be a little more cosiderate of that.
Kighty7Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:48 AM   #19
BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed will become famous soon enough

The idea of having ANY of the scoring rings blocked is moronic. Being a lefty I run into this more often than my right handed commrads. I will side step to get an open look at the scoring rings everytime. I'm not going to ruin a $20 arrow cause a course setter wants to get cute.

Lets face it, these days 3D is much more of a target scoring round than a simulated hunting round. If it wasn't, every target would be anotomically correct. Not a paunch liver shot 14.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #20
Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes will become famous soon enoughHoly Smokes will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Back in Smokes day they use to give em 10 minute to build the bow out of maple branches and cat gut before each shoot.
you slimy dog:lau gh:

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps
Holy Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #21
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

I take issue when the target is quartering away and the scoring ring would result in a crappy shot in the real world. Hard to reinforce waiting for the right shot for a beginner hunter when they set them up like that.
I don't mind shooting from the knees if necessary for a clear shot but there should be a clear crack at the vitals and the "animal" at a decent angle. More than 1 shoot we've pocketed the score cards and shot them like we should on a real animal just because of the quartering away issue. I don't hunt from the ground but if your going to use animal 3d targets, at least make it a shot you'd actually take. Otherwise put paper targets out there.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:27 AM   #22
Brian H

Brian H is on a distinguished road

Some clubs also don't take Lefties into consideration when setting
up targets either.
Brian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:20 PM   #23
ranger53

ranger53 is on a distinguished road

About 8 years ago, I went to a 3-D shoot that did that kind of crap. I ended up messing up almost a whole dozen arrows. I got about 2/3 through the course, and said the heck with it. The people running the shoot asked me if I was through, and I told them I was through ever shooting there. I guess they wanted to keep their own bunch happy. I know there was one guy that was a pro, and when all was said and done, he didn't even get in the top 3.
As far as 3-D goes, I love the shoots. But you also have to think a bit ahead. This future of this sport depends on how many you can get to shoot, but it also depends on how many you can keep coming back. The shoot I went to had the hunter stake way off from the other stakes, in a bunch of folaige and stuff. And like any other sport, the youth are our future,, so you need to think a couple of moves ahead. We ended up last year voting out a club in our coalition, because the way our local championship course had been set up. The idiot that set the course up had been a member of the group that I talked about earlier. Now we are down to 6 clubs. You shouldn't go to a shoot thinking how much crap you got to shoot through just to hit the target.
Tommy
Old 05-08-2011, 06:55 AM   #24
poorman
And thats no lie !

I voted step aside. With that said you sholdnt have to shoot through limbs and branches. However I dont have a problem changing levels or shooting from my knees or leaning away from the stake to take the shot. It makes it interesting. IF all targets were set out in the open and all broadside you might as well have the shoot in an open field. For me that is what makes it fun and different than just shooting the same 3 3d targets I have set up in my back yard.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:40 AM   #25
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Carpshooter will become famous soon enoughCarpshooter will become famous soon enough
Talking Here's what I think !

I'm not much into 3D shooting and will move some keeping my one foot touching the correct stake , even if I have to bend , twist or whatever !
Carpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:33 AM   #26
Chequamegon
Cricket Spitting Champ

Chequamegon is on a distinguished road

This is a problem here is Wisconsin. Too many BRUSH shoots. Most are indoors, but, there are some stupid set ups out side too. IMO these are and should be called novelty shoots.

A couple of years ago Myself,two sons and a friend went a nearby shoot and it was very intersting.....around the 5th target I looked at the target and felt I could not get a shot, the score keeper tells me "Its a brush shoot". I pass and take a zero. My eldest some how puts an arrow through a tangle of brush and scores. My friend puts the tip of his shoe on the mark almost lays down so that his 6'-2" frame can find a clear path and shoots a 12. Then we shoot at a spinning box hanging from the ceiling and get pass throughs, into corrugated steel, and have to shoot again. We finaly get to a steel target. My freind gets another pass through into....yes a metal wall....and the score keeper says "shoot again, or take a zero". He shot, and you could just see thge nock, getting the points. When we left eh and my oldes son had the high score by a wide margin( 3PM Sunday of weekend shoot). No checks, no payout. Every shoot prior to that, they posted scores online.....this is the shot they stopped, no one knows who won

I really don't have a problem with these shoots, but, allow all those shooting to be able to make a shot!
Chequamegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:44 PM   #27
Brown Hornet

Brown Hornet will become famous soon enough

Quote:
This is starting to drive me crazy........

A few of the local clubs putting on 3d shoots are getting carried away on some targets by placing brush infront of the 10 and 11 ring.

Do you shoot it as it sets, move to the side for a clear shot, or just break off the offensive branch and make your shot?

I'll break it off if I can reach it if not I'll step off to the side to get a clear shot or shoot the back rings if advailable. I was told it was to make it more like a hunting situation......I wouldn't shoot through brush at a deer why should I have for a 3d shoot? Beside 3d doesn't have nothing to do with hunting, the only thing the 2 have in common is the color of the targets.

A lot of people setting up shots like this seem to forget or don't get it....3D maybe used as practice for some for hunting.....but 3D shoots are ARCHERY TOURNAMENTS....not fake hunting tournament.

Stop putting crap in the way.
Brown Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #28
hoytultratec
aka SETTHEHOOK

hoytultratec is on a distinguished road

I came across a impossible shot a few weeks back at a shoot, the target was behind a thicket and there was no way to squeeze a arrow through it so we stepped to the side till we could get a decent shot at it..did i mention it was a 36 yard shot?

talked to the group ahead of us and they shot through it..5 guys and 1 arrow hit the target, 2 arrows lost. I did say something to a guy at the club.

PSE Vendetta XL,Limbdriver,Doinker,Fatboys,Easton Axis
hoytultratec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:59 AM   #29
steve bear

steve bear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to steve bear

1st i step over & shoot
2nd i tell the club where the junk shot is.
3rd next shoot i find a better club.
most of the time i have 2-6 shooters with me so at $10.a head bad shots can cost a club 2-$300..bucks a year just from us.i'm sure lots of others do the same....so keep the kills clear & make money .
steve bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:11 AM   #30
Gator eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve bear View Post
1st i step over & shoot
2nd i tell the club where the junk shot is.
3rd next shoot i find a better club.
most of the time i have 2-6 shooters with me so at $10.a head bad shots can cost a club 2-$300..bucks a year just from us.i'm sure lots of others do the same....so keep the kills clear & make money .

yeap, junk up around the 8 and 10 rings all you want but leave the score rings open.

I made a comment about not shooting my 12 dollars arrows through brush shots. we'll see if it's any better this week.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #31
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust

wilkersonhunter is on a distinguished road

i really take my 3-d seriously and for that matter there needs not to be anything in the way of the path of the arrow. asa or ibo dont do that nonsense.
[/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff
wilkersonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote