Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 07-14-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
Where's Bruce?
Sponge 4 bowhunting info

Where's Bruce? will become famous soon enough
Default Top Ten

What are your Top 10 (hard learned) Tips for successful bowhunting?

For the sake of this discussion, let's focus on bowhunting and not general hunting tips like working the wind, walking slowly and softly, etc. Things you don't encounter when rifle hunting. There must be a slew of techniques and products (from silent nocking to close stalking of dangerous game we can discuss. Do you hunt with a Whisker Bisquit or rest? Why?

Last edited by Where's Bruce?; 07-14-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Where's Bruce? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
vortec 1
Scent free & sittin High

vortec 1 is on a distinguished road

I'v been bowhunting since 1976 and for me the first one was to not get excited or have your heart race when you see a deer. Second, was your only going to see that big buck once so shoot him at the first ethical chance you get. Third, Always be ready,I never hang up my bow,I always hold it.Forth,Sit high. Fith, Always scent free.My truck,clothes,boots,body(head to toe) is scent free or I don't go.Nothing I where hunting ever goes to the gas station or in public.Six, Go where no one else goes also hunt different properties and have many stands.Seven, don't over exsesrize your bow and use somthing just because it the latest thing,for example I use a TM Hunter rest and many would say it's outdated but it's the most reliable rest ever built as far as Im conserned so drop away's are out for me.Eight, I learned this trick by mistake, You can make your own trail to you tree off a deer trail and the deer will follow it right to you tree (very cool) or funnel them to you.Nine, Learn to pass or go with out a deer and let them grow. Ten, learn to score them on the hoof and yes still hunting can be done.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:05 AM   #3
mtbowhunter

mtbowhunter is on a distinguished road
Default Broadheads

Always use the correct broad head and arrow combination for the animal you are hunting. I live in Montana and expendables are legal so I take advantage of that fact. I use a 400gr arrow for deer, antelope, and smaller, tipped with a 2" Rocket Hammerhead @ 70lbs. I have taken many deer sized and smaller animals with this combo, with NO losses! even on poorly hits. {no one wants to admit to them, so I will}
On large sized animals I downsize my heads to G5 Tekan's or Rocket Steel heads, with a 420 - 440 gr set up and 70lbs.
A hard lesson was learned when I tried to use a little larger expandable on a bull elk @ 35yds with VERY Poor penetration.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
Where's Bruce?
Sponge 4 bowhunting info

Where's Bruce? will become famous soon enough
Default What?

I figured that a broadhead is designed to slice and cut arteries so whatever is sharp and fast will work best. I have a variety of 100-125gr G5 heads and believed shooting lighter arrows would improve their effectiveness. Is there more to it?
Where's Bruce? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
Pointer

Pointer is on a distinguished road

Some good advice here for a newbie like me. Thanks!
Pointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #6
Okbowman

Okbowman is on a distinguished road

1. Dont overcall to a mature buck, and don't assume he's not coming in just because he don't turn and head your way.2. You will hunt longer in the stand if the stand is comfortable, leading to more mature buck encounters during the mid-day hours. Bring a snack and stay a while. 3. Learned this one last season. Dont automatically hang up your bow because it's windy. Deer cant bed up forever. This is where I like to hunt the ground blind. 4. Be in the tree just after a big storm. 5. Don't overhunt the same stand. Have enough to rotate so you don't burn one up. 6. As much as you want to brag, keep your trail cam pics and your good spots to yourself and only your closest hunting buddies. Learned this one last year too. 7. Last year I bought a pair of Arctic Shield overboot covers. Great investment. It dont get cold down here long enough for me to justify buying a pair of heavy insulated boots. So I use these with my uninsulated Danner Pronghorns and my feet never got cold. And we actually had a cold winter last year. 8. I try to set my stands so I don't have to make a long shot. I dont want to be able to take a long shot so I'm not even tempted to try it. 9. Dont think that you have to set your stand 30' up in a tree to not be seen. Most of mine are 12 to 15' and I rarely get picked off. When I do, it's usually because I got caught moving. To me, back cover is way more important than stand height. And I never want my stand to face the sunrise. 10. Finally, never leave the ground without your safety harness on. It's just not worth it. Good luck this season. Be safe.
Okbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:03 PM   #7
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

Get there early.
Pay attention to the wind. You can't fool their nose. It applies to bows too, even more. If you can approach you stand from downwind that day, do it.
Motion will get you busted almost as fast as their nose.
Don't bother with scents if your going after a resident Doe. It will just scare her.
Same if you want the buck that might be following her.
As far as arrows go, light and sharp work, so do mid and heavy weight and sharp. That's up to
you, light gives you less arc, heavy gives you better penetration especially when the distance is stretched.
Not 10, but my best advise.

Last edited by red44; 07-20-2011 at 11:09 PM.
red44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:55 AM   #8
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

change things up......mature deer will pattern you just like you try and pattern them.

Change stands, time of the day, and ways to and from your stands.

and biggest of all.........

scent lock doesn't work, the only thing it does well is seperate you and your money.........learn to play the wind and have stand locations for any wind direction.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:02 PM   #9
elkslayer4x5
EastOutfitters

elkslayer4x5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where's Bruce? View Post
I figured that a broadhead is designed to slice and cut arteries so whatever is sharp and fast will work best. I have a variety of 100-125gr G5 heads and believed shooting lighter arrows would improve their effectiveness. Is there more to it?
A bit. Smaller diameter arrows penatrate better than fatter arrows, Heavier arrow weight penatrates better than a lighter arrow. My #1 rule is pick a spot where you want the arrow to hit and don't look at anything else, especially his horns.
04 Martin Cougar Elite Nitrous C X Quiktune 1000
elkslayer4x5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:34 AM   #10
vortec 1
Scent free & sittin High

vortec 1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
A bit. Smaller diameter arrows penatrate better than fatter arrows, Heavier arrow weight penatrates better than a lighter arrow. My #1 rule is pick a spot where you want the arrow to hit and don't look at anything else, especially his horns.
Very good point about the horns,but if you looking for a shooter,a deer's ears are 16 inches from tip to tip 9 out of ten times. So look at the main beams verses the tips of the ears and know if he is past the ears he's running at least a 17 inch spread and that's where I stop looking at the horns and focus on the shot picking a spot.I never count points.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:39 PM   #11
Ohansolo

Ohansolo is on a distinguished road

the most common thing I do that messes up my hunt is when I see a big buck coming I only watch that deer. I have lost a few good ones because I get so locked in on the one I want to shoot I don't look around before picking up my bow. If the one you want has its head down that doesn't mean that you are clear. another deer could be behind you and if it snorts, stomps, starts waiving its tail or runs a big buck will know something is up.

The other thing that I think happens to bow hunters is they will take a 30 yard shot because they think that the deer will come no closer. They may be right, but you will never know if you take a shot at 30 it may have walked in to ten yards, turned broad side and looked the other way.
Ohansolo is offline   Reply With Quote