NE KS NRA Youth Hunter Education Challenge (YHEC)
When: Saturday, October 1, 2011; Check in 7:30 - 8 am
Where: Tri-County Rod & Gun Club
Located west of Bonner Springs, KS off K32 highway &
Stillwell Road. 18573 Stillwell Road, Linwood, KS 66052.
(Map will be provided with confirmation information.)
Who: Youth ages up to and including 18 years of age. All participants MUST have completed a basic state hunter
education course. Hunter Education card is required. No prior experience needed, but must be able to shoulder and
control the firearms.
What: Participants will compete in the junior (ages up to 14) or senior (ages 15-18) category. While the YHEC has a
competitive side, the focus of the program is the personal challenge of improvement and the advancement of skills
introduced in a basic hunter education course.
Challenge events will be:
• Shotgun course with clay targets. 12 and 20 gauge guns only. Guns will be available to use if a participant does not bring one. Ammunition will be provided for this event.
• Muzzle-loading course with life-size game targets at 20 to 50 yards. .50 caliber muzzleloaders, ammunition, and
number 11 percussion caps will be available to use. Participant may provide own muzzleloader (.54 caliber and smaller) and respective balls and patches. In-lines with sabot bullets allowed, but not provided. No scopes allowed.
• Light rifle (.22 caliber) course with life-sized game targets at 15 to 75 yards. Equipment is limited to rifles designed
for field use and hunting. Scopes are allowed but set no greater than 4X. Rifles will be available to use.
Ammunition will be provided for this event.
• Archery course with 3-D animal targets from 5 to 40 yards. Participants may bring their own bows and arrows. Some equipment restrictions apply: No more than 6 sight pins; No magnified sights; Only 1 stabilizer 12 inches or less in length; No broadheads. Recurve bows will be available to use.
• Wildlife identification will test participant’s knowledge of Kansas wildlife in the form of animal mounts, hides, bird wings, tracks, horns/antlers, etc. No identification guides are allowed during the event.
• Safety trail will test participant on safe gun handling, game laws, and hunter ethics.
• Orienteering will test participant’s map and compass skills. Compasses will be provided.
Cost: $15 registration includes all ammunition (do not bring ammunition unless allowed). All equipment/firearms to
participate will be provided if needed. Pre-registration is required. Space is limited, so sign up early. We cannot accept
more participants than safety will allow. Registration must be received by September 29. Lunch will be available for
purchase. Awards will be presented at the completion of the challenge.
Contact: Please mail check and registration form to c/o Steve Letcher, 4441 N. 93rd St, Kansas City, KS 66109. Make checks payable to Steve Letcher. For information or questions, call Steve Letcher @ (913) 788-3606 or