Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum
 

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 02:37 PM   #1
Ohansolo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 229
Ohansolo is on a distinguished road
Default how many here process their own deer

I love doing my own butchering and I thought maybe I am not the only one. I know there are many ways to do it and thought maybe we could all pitch in a few of our little ticks of the trade.

I have one trick that some may find useful and that is to remove all meet before dealing with the bladder and colon. last year when helping a friend with his deer I saw him try to remove the bladder before we hung the deer up. I don't know if this is common but I skin it and remove all meet hanging below it, shoulders tenderloins neck meet and back straps before I even touch the bladder. in other words when I do the colon and bladder the only thing left hanging is the rear hips.

anyone do anything that they think makes things easier or faster.
Ohansolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
vortec 1
Scent free & sittin High
 
vortec 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 229
vortec 1 is on a distinguished road
Default I do my own too!!

I drag my deer at least 75 yards from my stand and start at the rib cage and cut all the way to the colon then split the butt bone then reach up all the way to the wind pipe and cut it and pull everything out by the windpipe.Then I flip it over and let the blood drain.I let it hang for three day's head down which tenderizes the meat.I remove the backstraps first then the front leg's then I slice from the tail bone and follow each leg bone all the way around to the tarsel gland and remove each hind quarter with no bone in any of it. Once in the house I remove all the renit (silver lineing) then I cut it into steaks,jerkey strips and a sausage pile.
__________________
HIGH COUNTRY SPEED PRO X10 "SPEED KILLS",HHA site,Carbon force Mayhem/Easton Fat Boy Arrows,Alpine quiver,TM hunter and Swhacker Broadheads.

Last edited by vortec 1; 10-05-2011 at 09:59 PM.
vortec 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
cowboy50
Senior Member
 
cowboy50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: texas
Posts: 125
cowboy50 is on a distinguished road
Default

I usually process my deer myself. Usually just hang it up, skin it, and then i start with the backstrap. Take off the front shoulders next and then saw off the hind quarters. I usually just butterfly the backstrap. And cut hinds into some steaks and then cube the rest for sausage or hamburger.
__________________

Bowtech Destroyer 340
30" draw, 65#, 332 fps
GoldTip XT's
cowboy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
Gator eye
Senior Member
 
Gator eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In the horn of Michigan
Posts: 7,185
Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortec 1 View Post
I drag my deer at least 75 yards from my stand and start at the rib cage and cut all the way to the colon then split the butt bone then reach up all the way to the wind pipe and cut it and pull everything out by the windpipe.Then I flip it over and let the blood drain.I let it hang for three day's head down which tenderizes the meat.I remove the backstraps first then the front leg's then I slice from the tail bone and follow each leg bone all the way around to the tarsel gland and remove each hind quarter with no bone in any of it. Once in the house I remove all the renit (silver lineing) then I cut it into steaks,jerkey strips and a sausage pile.


I follow just about the same process.....I like to let them hang for at least a week if temp is right.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
Ohansolo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 229
Ohansolo is on a distinguished road
Default

you guys skin then let hang or just let hang?

thinking about trying that. have herd of people doing that with deer. I know that it is standard with beef.
Ohansolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
vortec 1
Scent free & sittin High
 
vortec 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 229
vortec 1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohansolo View Post
you guys skin then let hang or just let hang?

thinking about trying that. have herd of people doing that with deer. I know that it is standard with beef.
I don't skin em ti'll the day I butcher him. keeps the flies off the meat if its warm out and keeps the meat from drying out.
__________________
HIGH COUNTRY SPEED PRO X10 "SPEED KILLS",HHA site,Carbon force Mayhem/Easton Fat Boy Arrows,Alpine quiver,TM hunter and Swhacker Broadheads.
vortec 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:30 PM   #7
cowboy50
Senior Member
 
cowboy50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: texas
Posts: 125
cowboy50 is on a distinguished road
Default

So...does this effect the meat? And what should the temperature be to leave them hanging outside?
__________________

Bowtech Destroyer 340
30" draw, 65#, 332 fps
GoldTip XT's
cowboy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:34 PM   #8
killbambidead
bambi killer
 
killbambidead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Red bud il
Posts: 733
killbambidead is on a distinguished road
Default

I'm just curious how letting them hang for a couple days tenderizes the meat ?
killbambidead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:01 AM   #9
Gator eye
Senior Member
 
Gator eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In the horn of Michigan
Posts: 7,185
Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by killbambidead View Post
I'm just curious how letting them hang for a couple days tenderizes the meat ?
I don't know all the in's and out's but basicly bacteria break down and loosen the muscle fibers so in effect tenderizing the meat.

9 days under 40 degree's but above 32 is perfect for hanging meat.

If the temp is right around 40 I'll pull the hide off, if flies are a worry I quarter it out and put it in a fridge. If temp is closer to 32 and falling under at night I leave the hide on which will keep it from freezing.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:33 AM   #10
OneMustFall
Member
 
OneMustFall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 796
OneMustFall is on a distinguished road
Default

I pretty much do it like the rest here,but i dont let it hang i just cut it up and in freezer it goes.
__________________
2010 PSE AXE 7
OneMustFall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:07 AM   #11
cowboy50
Senior Member
 
cowboy50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: texas
Posts: 125
cowboy50 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
I don't know all the in's and out's but basicly bacteria break down and loosen the muscle fibers so in effect tenderizing the meat.

9 days under 40 degree's but above 32 is perfect for hanging meat.

If the temp is right around 40 I'll pull the hide off, if flies are a worry I quarter it out and put it in a fridge. If temp is closer to 32 and falling under at night I leave the hide on which will keep it from freezing.
So this has to be in cold weather. So...pretty much u cant do this in Texas? Hahaha
__________________

Bowtech Destroyer 340
30" draw, 65#, 332 fps
GoldTip XT's
cowboy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:36 AM   #12
kebees4
Senior Member
 
kebees4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 354
kebees4 is on a distinguished road
Default

I have tried letting them hang vs. cutting and straight to freezer and we can't tell a difference. I think how it is prepared makes a bigger effect on tenderness of meat. Some of ours are from hoof to freezer in a few hours then if I am busy they may get quartered and into spare fridge for a day or so until we have time to process. We processed 7 deer last year and none of the meat was tough at the table. My wife has it down how to prepare and it is hard to tell from beef.
__________________
Athens Factory Staff Shooter
Dead Center Archery Staff Shooter/Tru Ball staff shooter/Bohning Shooting Staff
K&E Taxidermy
http://www.freewebs.com/gerrystaxidermy/index.htm
kebees4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:29 AM   #13
vortec 1
Scent free & sittin High
 
vortec 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 229
vortec 1 is on a distinguished road
Default

If you talk to a butcher he will tell you to hang em for a few days. Here's some info I pull off the internet see below.

Meat, in general, is tenderised by being allowed to "hang" for a period of time, its flavour also develops. The practice probably started in America, when refrigeration made this possible.

The alternative to this is to eat it immediately, before rigor mortis stiffens the animals muscles.

The advantages of a traditional butcher, rather than a supermarket, are often accentuated by the care taken in this "hanging" process.

The length of time meat should hang largely depends on its fat covering, for unless it has enough outside fat, it will deteriorate, even spoil, if held for more than five days or so. Veal and lamb generally lack the necessary fat covering and are not aged more than a few days; whereas beef and mutton carcasses benefit from a longer period of from five to eighteen days (and in the case of beef sometimes up to six weeks) at a temperature of 34 to 38 F.

Unless meat has enough outside fat, it deteriorates quickly, especially if held for more than five days. So lamb and veal are generally hung for no longer than this time. Beef and mutton, however, benefit from a more lengthy hanging period - as long as eighteen days (and for beef, even as long as six weeks if stored at 34-38F. Enzymes in the meat soften the muscle tissues.

Average meat consumption is about 75kg/165lbs per person in Britain, while in the U.S.A. it increases to 110kg/242lbs per person per year.

Hope this helps!!!
__________________
HIGH COUNTRY SPEED PRO X10 "SPEED KILLS",HHA site,Carbon force Mayhem/Easton Fat Boy Arrows,Alpine quiver,TM hunter and Swhacker Broadheads.
vortec 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #14
kebees4
Senior Member
 
kebees4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 354
kebees4 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortec 1 View Post
If you talk to a butcher he will tell you to hang em for a few days. Here's some info I pull off the internet see below.

Meat, in general, is tenderised by being allowed to "hang" for a period of time, its flavour also develops. The practice probably started in America, when refrigeration made this possible.

The alternative to this is to eat it immediately, before rigor mortis stiffens the animals muscles.

The advantages of a traditional butcher, rather than a supermarket, are often accentuated by the care taken in this "hanging" process.

The length of time meat should hang largely depends on its fat covering, for unless it has enough outside fat, it will deteriorate, even spoil, if held for more than five days or so. Veal and lamb generally lack the necessary fat covering and are not aged more than a few days; whereas beef and mutton carcasses benefit from a longer period of from five to eighteen days (and in the case of beef sometimes up to six weeks) at a temperature of 34 to 38 F.

Unless meat has enough outside fat, it deteriorates quickly, especially if held for more than five days. So lamb and veal are generally hung for no longer than this time. Beef and mutton, however, benefit from a more lengthy hanging period - as long as eighteen days (and for beef, even as long as six weeks if stored at 34-38F. Enzymes in the meat soften the muscle tissues.

Average meat consumption is about 75kg/165lbs per person in Britain, while in the U.S.A. it increases to 110kg/242lbs per person per year.

Hope this helps!!!
Looking at what you posted about fat covering deers have very little if any so does that say don't hang very long?
I will continue to process mine ASAP.
__________________
Athens Factory Staff Shooter
Dead Center Archery Staff Shooter/Tru Ball staff shooter/Bohning Shooting Staff
K&E Taxidermy
http://www.freewebs.com/gerrystaxidermy/index.htm
kebees4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #15
vortec 1
Scent free & sittin High
 
vortec 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 229
vortec 1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebees4 View Post
Looking at what you posted about fat covering deers have very little if any so does that say don't hang very long?
I will continue to process mine ASAP.
Hey, more power to ya,keep doin what ya do.I learned many years ago from a butcher in the family and from Dad and I always have done it that way and alway's will.
__________________
HIGH COUNTRY SPEED PRO X10 "SPEED KILLS",HHA site,Carbon force Mayhem/Easton Fat Boy Arrows,Alpine quiver,TM hunter and Swhacker Broadheads.
vortec 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #16
Ohansolo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 229
Ohansolo is on a distinguished road
Default

the way I understand it is that beef is hung for 7-9 days to let the fats break down. the fats are absorbed by the meat which both tenderizes and improves the flavor of the meat. deer have little fat compared to beef but I don't know how much difference that makes. I personally was told to quarter the deer and put it in the fridge for 2-3 days before making my individual cuts. maybe I will try to do some the day it is shot some at 3 days and some at 7 days and see what I like best.

anyway, everyone dresses the deer the same it looks like I like the idea of removing the meet from the hind end wile the deer is still hanging. i will have to give that a go. seems to me that you would never have to remove the bladder that way. is that right?
Ohansolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #17
Major257
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Creek, NY
Posts: 119
Major257 is on a distinguished road
Default

Most guys around here in the ADKS let them hang with the hide on for 5 to 10 days if the weather permits.

One other thing I do different than what has been stated above is to take the front shoulders off first. That way I have a backstrap about 3' long. I take it all the way to down to where I took the head off, basicly boning the neck all at the same time.
__________________
Z7 Extreme, Ripcord, TR Alfa V5, Smooth Stability and G5 Montecs
Major257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:59 AM   #18
mikieday
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: michigan
Posts: 9
mikieday is on a distinguished road
Default

we have been doing our own for alot of years and we decided to pool all our money and resources together between us hunting budies and build a processing room with all the tools to do it all from arrow to BBQ grill.

we have a stnd up freezer x 2 and 2 refridgeators and if the weather wont lets us hang the deer for a few days we skin n quarter them and let them set in the fridge for a few days.

we have 2 smokers for whole deer or sausage, jerky, all of the good stuff

we have slicers, grinders, band saw set up for the elk and moose..

2500lb wench in the celing, we installed AC to help keep the room cool when its hot out. we hve hot and cold running water , and all butcher grade wall covering and tables and a sweeeeet drain in the floor. it was a true labor of love and we enjoy the benifits of having made the investment

Bowhunting forum
Bowhunting forum
Bowhunting forum
Bowhunting forum
mikieday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:04 PM   #19
5finsup
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Decatur, AL
Posts: 2
5finsup is on a distinguished road
Default

Just started doing it a couple years ago myself. Absolutely love processing it myself, it really seems to add to the whole hunting experience to me. It helps that my 11 year old son enjoys helping as well, mainly the skinning part. My wife on the other hand gets a little aggravated with deer meat all over the counter when I'm getting it bagged up for the freezer.
5finsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2004 3DShoots.com