Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 11-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
Pointer

Pointer is on a distinguished road
Default Archery Target

Anyone have any suggestions for some cheaper alternatives to arrow stopping targets? I've used the hay barrels, the styrofoam coolers, etc. Am I better off just spending the money and getting a good target that will last? I saw this XL target that has gotten some good reviews and is good w broadheads..
Pointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
killbambidead
bambi killer

killbambidead is on a distinguished road

I bought a rinehardt 18-1 a few years ago it cost a hundred bucks but I still probably have another 2-3 years of shooting it before I need a new one
killbambidead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:55 AM   #3
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

If your looking for something just for target points, it's hard to beat a morrell bag target. There cheap and will take thousands of shots. I pound on there range bag all winter long at 15 yard and the most I ve had to do is rotate it once a day. If the cover wears through for a few bucks you can buy a new cover.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
cowboy50

cowboy50 is on a distinguished road

If your wanting something just for field points then a yellow jacket bag target is the way to go, but if your wanting broadhead and field point then you should look into the Glen dell buck. I bought one recently and i love it. I have shot hundreds of arrows in it already and it is still holding up very well. The cool thing about it is if you shoot one side out, all you have to do is lift the insert out and turn it to one of the three other sides.

Bowtech Destroyer 340
30" draw, 65#, 332 fps
GoldTip XT's
cowboy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
bushmasterar15

bushmasterar15 is on a distinguished road

I've been using a Big Green Target for field points. Works good for me.
Bowhunting forum
bushmasterar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
jg-32

jg-32 is on a distinguished road

I agree with the morrel bag targets, and if you do get a lot of holes in it you can buy a replacment cover for $17 and have a new looking target.
jg-32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
Where's Bruce?
Sponge 4 bowhunting info

Where's Bruce? will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
Anyone have any suggestions for some cheaper alternatives to arrow stopping targets? I've used the hay barrels, the styrofoam coolers, etc. Am I better off just spending the money and getting a good target that will last? I saw this XL target that has gotten some good reviews and is good w broadheads..
Don't buy that piece of sh*t target in the link...it's the generic Black Hole target they sell em at Big 5. Crappy targets.
11 Hoyt Carbon Element 65lb draw, Spot Hogg Hunter sight, QAD HDX drop-away rest, 8 Axion Gridlock 3D Hunter stabilizer, Archer Xtreme Carbon Vapor (camo dipped) quiver w/ riser-mounted Stealth Cam EPIC videocamera.
Where's Bruce? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
Pointer

Pointer is on a distinguished road

thanks for the tips!
Pointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:04 PM   #9
bfisher

bfisher will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where's Bruce? View Post
Don't buy that piece of sh*t target in the link...it's the generic Black Hole target they sell em at Big 5. Crappy targets.
I'll definitely second that. My advice would be, as suggested already, to buy a Morrell bag target for field/target points and possibly a Yellow Jacket designed for broadheads. Bags are not designed for broadheads.

Probably a batter alternative is to join a clocal archery club and shoot theirs. You'll have the added benefit of making new friends, and to my way of thinking get away from the house (wife).

I happen to be fortunate enough to have two clubs within 6 miles of my house. One has indoor facilities where I shoot all winter long. Three nights a week.
Worldwide Scuba Diver
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #10
Westy
Aussie Member

Westy has a spectacular aura aboutWesty has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
I'll definitely second that. My advice would be, as suggested already, to buy a Morrell bag target for field/target points and possibly a Yellow Jacket designed for broadheads. Bags are not designed for broadheads.

Probably a batter alternative is to join a clocal archery club and shoot theirs. You'll have the added benefit of making new friends, and to my way of thinking get away from the house (wife).

I happen to be fortunate enough to have two clubs within 6 miles of my house. One has indoor facilities where I shoot all winter long. Three nights a week.
Becarefull you don't suffer from Bow finger Burnout????3 nights a week you sound like your hooked on the indoor stuff,and why not???

Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:47 AM   #11
bfisher

bfisher will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
Becarefull you don't suffer from Bow finger Burnout????3 nights a week you sound like your hooked on the indoor stuff,and why not???
Not hooked on indoor. Two nights are only practice. Most often I get to shoot about 3 ends (9 arrows) and somebody needs some help with equipment or form so I spend the rest of the evening being a coach or bow technician.

Besides, it's been too cold to shoot outside. I just like to shoot.
Worldwide Scuba Diver
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #12
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Not hooked on indoor. Two nights are only practice. Most often I get to shoot about 3 ends (9 arrows) and somebody needs some help with equipment or form so I spend the rest of the evening being a coach or bow technician.

Sounds like alot of fun.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #13
Westy
Aussie Member

Quote:

Alright then

Old 12-19-2011, 09:59 AM   #14
Ohansolo

Ohansolo is on a distinguished road

Cabelas shot stopper has done well for me. $60 and has lasted me 2 years so far. good for fp and bh. none have made it to the flech yet. even when my father in law brings his bow shooting 330fps. for $60 if it makes it through next year I will say it owes me nothing.
Ohansolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:55 PM   #15
Westy
Aussie Member

I find the neighbours "CAT" is the best target for back yard use!!!!Has anyone else had this experiance????

Old 12-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #16
Gator eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
I find the neighbours "CAT" is the best target for back yard use!!!!Has anyone else had this experiance????
Some people's kids
Old 12-22-2011, 06:07 AM   #17
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust

wilkersonhunter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
If your looking for something just for target points, it's hard to beat a morrell bag target. There cheap and will take thousands of shots. I pound on there range bag all winter long at 15 yard and the most I ve had to do is rotate it once a day. If the cover wears through for a few bucks you can buy a new cover.
amen to that morrells bag target. the one that i have has lasted me for several years now and i have left it outside all the time.
[/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff
wilkersonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote