Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 11-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
TN1978

TN1978 is on a distinguished road
Default arrow weight question/ tournament

I'm not sure if this is the right section so sorry if it is not. I suffered a shoulder injury that prevents me from drawing more then 50# and I have a short draw length of 26.5 inches. I need to know what the lightest arrow weight I can shoot in 3d tourney. I need to gain speed despite my handicap. Thank You
TN1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
Compound Comedian

Compound Comedian is on a distinguished road

If your want a 3D /gen purpose target arrow and NOT a hunting arrow a Victory VX 22 HV at 6.6 gr GPI and a 80 gr target point all built out would be easily under 300 gr. with light vanes. They make 3 grades, the cheap greade is fine.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
Compound Comedian

Im not pushin Vics, I shoot GT S22ULs myself but theyre heavier.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
TN1978

TN1978 is on a distinguished road

Thanks. I currently shoot Gold Tip 5535s for hunting. I'll look at the ones you mentioned for my 3d set up
TN1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
Brown Hornet

Brown Hornet will become famous soon enough

Really you can shoot whatever arrow you need as long as its safe to get to 280fps. IBO 5 grain rule would mean you can shoot a 250 grain arrow.....BUT since your not going to get into any speed race at your draw you can ignore it and shoot the 280 rule.

With your draw weight and length you can actually SAFELY go under 250 grains.....now you still want to get an arrow to spine right but if it's a little under it's not a biggie. ASA and IBO rules both allow you to shoot 280 fps and they don't care what your weight is to get there. Yes the IBO also...they allow you to choose. If your shooting over 280 your setup better be at the 5 grain rule.....

You have a few choices....

Easton Lightspeed 500: 6.5 grains
Easton Carbon One 660: 6.6 grains
Carbon Express CXL 150: 5.9 grains
Carbon Express Blue Streak 150: 6.5 grains
GT Ultralight Pro 600: 5.7 grains
GT Velocity 500: 6.3 grains
Carbon Tech Cheetah 650: 5.3 grains

Id go with the GT Ultralight Pro 600s or the Cheetah 600....if I wanted something fatter I would go with the CXL 150.
Brown Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:29 PM   #6
bfisher

bfisher will become famous soon enough

Now that Hornet has explained the ins and outs I can give you some ideas on arrows. I have similar specs---47# at 27" draw.

Gold Tip Ultralite 600 (5.7 gr/in) cut to 26", Easton CB bushing & G nock, three 2" feathers, 4" wraps.

Points can vary a bit. 35 gr tip with a 10 gr. weight brings that arrow up to 230 grains. FOC is a bit light at 7%, but this is target points. The 80 gr glue in points or inserts with 65 gr Saunders combo points (also totals 80 gr) would come in at about 265 grains and a better FOC.

I've actually built some UL-600's 25.5 inches without wraps that only weigh 209 grains. Shoot them out of a 42# Alien Z and get right at 277fps.

I haven't checked into the Victory VAP's and components, but the shaft weight is 5.3 gr/in so could concieveably be made lighter yet than the Gold Tip. I'm planning on trying some early next spring.
Worldwide Scuba Diver

Last edited by bfisher; 11-30-2011 at 09:32 PM.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:53 AM   #7
Compound Comedian

The Vic VX 22s @ 6.6 gpi are the fatest of the ultra-ultra lights for 3D , fat diameter being one of the major considering factors for a 3D shaft. All the rest of these are smaller dia. and the Vaps are like sewing needles. I wouldnt give Gametracker Carbon Xpress a dime. CarbonXpress bold face lies in thier Advertising http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5302I2Wh9Y

Last edited by Compound Comedian; 12-01-2011 at 03:02 AM.
Compound Comedian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:57 AM   #8
bfisher

bfisher will become famous soon enough

I've seen that video many times and can agree. What has always bothered me the most is that although CE markets some good arrows their manufacturing cost has to be lower (made in Korea) than US counterparts, but CE likes to rape the buying public here. What's even worse is the hype (re: video) and that people eat this stuff up like it's some sort of magic.

I also have some of the GT 22 Pros. I'm always amazed that being a 300 spine they still shoot well out of my light DW, short DL setups. Great for indoor, but I feel I needed to shed some weight for outdoor 3D.

If I remember right my 27" 22 series with 80 gr Nibbs turn the scale at 291 grains. That's with feathers and standard 22 series nocks.
Worldwide Scuba Diver
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust

wilkersonhunter is on a distinguished road

If it dont say easton then i wont shoot anything! I have tried almost every other brand out there and i can tell you nothing even comes close.
[/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff
wilkersonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #10
muck

muck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkersonhunter View Post
If it dont say easton then i wont shoot anything! I have tried almost every other brand out there and i can tell you nothing even comes close.
i have always shot easton till last summer. i tried victory hv1 and the spine felt like every one was different and one i just tossed because it was way to weak. then i got hit by the Archery talk hype and tried harvest time, they seamed like a good arrow but my next dz is back to easton.
muck is offline   Reply With Quote