Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 12-30-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
alaz

alaz is on a distinguished road
Default blade vs limb driven drop away

I currently shoot a limb driver and love it, but was thinking of going back to a blade. I picked up a used blade and was looking at it and realized the diameter shafts I use will cause fletching contact at the base of the vane.

Are blades more forgiving...more accurate is what I really mean, and how do you adjust for this contact? The more I look at it the more I lean toward a limb driver or limb driven rest.
alaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust

wilkersonhunter is on a distinguished road

i like my limbdriver rest its not micro adjust but when i get it locked down i am good to go. i just wish they had that feature on it. It would make walk back tuning a lot easier
[/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff
wilkersonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:53 PM   #3
The G

The G is an unknown quantity at this point

That small amount of contact is normal. Make sure to use it **** feather up, eyeball and don't worry about it, do you think reo wilde doesnt have any contact with his super thin X10's? (if thats the arrow he still uses lol).
The G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:24 AM   #4
MickeyBee

MickeyBee is on a distinguished road

The liz is the way to go but has some limitations. Just got done setting up a couple of TripWire drop aways with my home-made version of a 50% containment liz and took them out for a test ride tonite.......NICE!!!!

Gonna use them for everything from now on!!!!

Last edited by MickeyBee; 12-31-2011 at 12:39 AM.
MickeyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:53 AM   #5
alaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkersonhunter View Post
i like my limbdriver rest its not micro adjust but when i get it locked down i am good to go. i just wish they had that feature on it. It would make walk back tuning a lot easier
That is why I am thinking of trying out the Pro Drop AAE. Still debating though.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:54 AM   #6
alaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyBee View Post
The liz is the way to go but has some limitations. Just got done setting up a couple of TripWire drop aways with my home-made version of a 50% containment liz and took them out for a test ride tonite.......NICE!!!!

I liked the trip wire...I just felt that I would get inconsistent contact every so often.
I would love to see pics of what you did.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:57 AM   #7
alaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The G View Post
That small amount of contact is normal. Make sure to use it **** feather up, eyeball and don't worry about it, do you think reo wilde doesnt have any contact with his super thin X10's? (if thats the arrow he still uses lol).
I am sure he gets contact as do all the pros...yet this is what they choose. I just wonder what makes them more "consistent" then a limbdriver. I think it would be very difficult to have the same type of contact shot after shot, arrow after arrow. If vanes are slightly off, nocks not perfect aligned, etc. I just think a drop away that uses a blade (pro-drop/ limb driver) would be more forgiving.

Last edited by alaz; 12-31-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:07 AM   #8
Brown Hornet

Brown Hornet will become famous soon enough

Like the G said....if you setup a blade rest and your arrow correctly that amount of contact is not a factor. In fact if you set it up correctly you shouldn't or won't have the contact that your appears that it is going to have.

I have NEVER had a setup with a dropaway on it that was as forgiving or shot as good as a well tuned and setup bow with a blade rest on it. They shot good...but they aren't as forgiving and I can make a blade setup shoot tighter groups.
Brown Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:37 PM   #9
MickeyBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaz View Post
I would love to see pics of what you did.
A lot of banging the back end of a .2" drill on a piece of .020" full hard SS spring steel into a block of wood followed by some perimeter work curtesy of a cheap drum sander mounted in a drill press and then slotted with a dremmel diamond c/o tool. Last major step was to cut off the buisness end of the old launcher with the remainder to be used as a clamp. Played with the slot (and V cut) till it felt like it had the same resistance as my Pro Tuner spring.
Attached Thumbnails
General Archery Forum - Click for larger version  
Old 01-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #10
jfuller17
Vendetta Archery Owner

jfuller17 is on a distinguished road

Nice idea!! My only complaint on the blades is falling off shooting FITA in the wind. I started using a doodle since it has two blades that seem to cradle it better. Was also looking into the brite site blade with the 3-D mount anyone have any experience with that?
Old 01-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #11
alaz

thanks for the pic...looks great.

I am sure a blade when set up correctly is great. I just got this idea of contact in my head esp. with smaller diameter blades. I know brite site offers blades for that.

I would like to hear what others say about the brite site 3d blade as well.

Last edited by alaz; 01-01-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #12
alaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfuller17 View Post
Nice idea!! My only complaint on the blades is falling off shooting FITA in the wind. I started using a doodle since it has two blades that seem to cradle it better. Was also looking into the brite site blade with the 3-D mount anyone have any experience with that?
I also like the bodoodle...any negatives to that?
Anyone see the AeroRest by Firenocks, any thoughts on that as well?
Old 01-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #13
jfuller17
Vendetta Archery Owner

So far I have been using the doodle on my spot bow and its been just fine and pretty simple to set-up. I like the dual blades for support. Sometimes the vanes hit your cheek a little different depending on ATA and string angle because you have to shoot **** vane down. Put its not bad.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #14
Brown Hornet

Quote:
A lot of banging the back end of a .2" drill on a piece of .020" full hard SS spring steel into a block of wood followed by some perimeter work curtesy of a cheap drum sander mounted in a drill press and then slotted with a dremmel diamond c/o tool. Last major step was to cut off the buisness end of the old launcher with the remainder to be used as a clamp. Played with the slot (and V cut) till it felt like it had the same resistance as my Pro Tuner spring.
That looks good....better get to work on another one now so your not screwed when that guy Murphy shows up.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #15
Brown Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfuller17 View Post
You shouldn't have anymore problems with the arrow falling off in the wind. IF you have a solid steady draw. I have shot in some crazy winds and don't have any trouble getting drawn back and not having the arrow fall off. Even more so since I am not shooting giant arrows. If your shooting fatter arrows use a wider blade. I was shooting my XJammer27s outside the other day. It was windy as crap and I was using a standard size blade not a wide blade.

All the guys shooting FITA World Cup events are shooting in windier conditions then the avg shoot or day at the range since they are usually shot off an ocean or bay....they don't have problems with the arrow falling off. I remember Braden G, and a buddy of mine shot a FITA one day and the winds were pretty steady at 30 mph....with gust that would blow you from one target to the next one over. Braden said he hadn't seen wind that bad shooting in forever. Not one of us was having arrow falling off issues.

The 3D Tuner head is ok....some like it. I bought one to hunt with a few years back.....didn't use it long and I wouldn't want to use one for target.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #16
jfuller17
Vendetta Archery Owner

What was it you didnt like about that head?
Old 01-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #17
Brown Hornet

Other then the benefit of the arrow not falling off....there is no advantage over a regular blade. For me it doesn't shoot as good and it doesn't react the same way a blade does, which totally defeats the purpose of shooting a blade rest in the place. If your not going to shoot a blade...then shoot a dropaway or something else. This is nothing more then a Jerry Rig IMO

Shoot the correct blade....and or sure up your draw and it doesn't matter what the conditions are outside. The wind isn't going to blow your arrow off the rest.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #18
MickeyBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Hornet View Post
That looks good....better get to work on another one now so your not screwed when that guy Murphy shows up.
Me and Murphy go way back......

made a second spring for just that occasion but, with my luck, the Trip Wire will fail before the spring does.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #19
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

Blade all the way, no moving parts nothing to break

If your blade is to thin your arrow will fall off easily. To stiff and you might run into contact problems, it's not hard to figure out.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:26 AM   #20
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust

i guess just call me old fashioned. i will just stick with my limb driver rest. it can surely out shoot me.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #21
MeanV2

MeanV2 is on a distinguished road

I've shot the Limb Driver for 5 years and I know I have setup 100's. IMO there is nothing better with everything considered.

Dan
www.meanvarchery.com
MeanV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #22
BowTech DAve

BowTech DAve is on a distinguished road

I'm with Dan, my Limbdriver has served me well in both hunting and tournaments throughout the years! And you don't have worry about the wind with them. As far as which is better, try them both and see what you like! I honestly think it is a preference thing and what your equipment likes.

Good luck on you decision!
Dave

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
BowTech DAve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #23
wicked ridge

wicked ridge is on a distinguished road

Removed my limb driver and put my doodle game dropper on set the spring
so it holds the arrow up at full draw seems to work fine i think i will stick with the the kentucky made rest.
wicked ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #24
Brown Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowTech DAve View Post
I'm with Dan, my Limbdriver has served me well in both hunting and tournaments throughout the years! And you don't have worry about the wind with them. As far as which is better, try them both and see what you like! I honestly think it is a preference thing and what your equipment likes.

Good luck on you decision!
Dave

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
You guys need to get over the wind thing with a blade rest....shoot the correct blade and draw your bow under control and correctly and drawing the bow with a blade isn't an issue even in the wind..... Otherwise all the videos on YouTube of the FITA shoots would be nothing but people fighting to get their bows drawn back.

If you like a drop away that's great...good for you. But don't blame a rest for shooter issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #25
bowhunterkdc

bowhunterkdc is on a distinguished road

I use a limb driver on both my tournement bow and my hunting bow and have not had a problem with either one. Can't go wrong with Vaportrail rests.
bowhunterkdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:12 AM   #26
Paheadhunter

Paheadhunter is on a distinguished road

Very interesting points from both sides here. I've never used a blade rest enough to get completely comfortable with one. I do like limbdriver rests. Have them on all but one of my bows and I plan to put the pro v on my hunting rig this year. Maybe someday I'll take the time and set up a now correctly with a blade rest. I understand the advantage to one. But for now I'll stick withy limbdrivers. They've been easy to set up and I have never had any issues with them
Paheadhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:30 AM   #27
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paheadhunter View Post
Very interesting points from both sides here. I've never used a blade rest enough to get completely comfortable with one. I do like limbdriver rests. Have them on all but one of my bows and I plan to put the pro v on my hunting rig this year. Maybe someday I'll take the time and set up a now correctly with a blade rest. I understand the advantage to one. But for now I'll stick withy limbdrivers. They've been easy to set up and I have never had any issues with them
It seems to me that the people that has used the limb driver rest has had no problems with them so why would a person want to change something that isnt broke? I like my limb driver rest for both 3d and hunting. simple to use and set up
Old 01-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #28
JDX--

JDX-- will become famous soon enough

Most folks that run into problems with the arrows falling off of the blades are either running to weak of a blade or they have it set up to flat.

JDX-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #29
MickeyBee

Quote:

Actually, thats not true anymore. Had one break tonite.

Back to the drawing board.......
Old 01-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #30
MeanV2

Tripwire? I have seen more than a few problems with that rest

Dan

Quote:
Actually, thats not true anymore. Had one break tonite.

Back to the drawing board.......
www.meanvarchery.com
Old 01-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #31
alaz

Just got the AAE ProDrop. I have not set it up yet, but it is very nice. I will most likely have that on my next bow.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #32
MickeyBee

After removing the home made lizzard and installing the OEM unit, I noticed that the rest was not dropping fast enough and may have even needed contact to get it to drop. Just might have to give the concept one more chance.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:46 AM   #33
alaz

Still have a limb driver.
But I am considering the Firenock AeroRest
or spot hogg Edge.
The AeroRest can be shot without the top "finger". The micro-adjust version should be ready soon.
I like the idea of adjusting the tension on each side of the arrow, the free floating ceramic balls, the minimal points of contact with the arrow. I just do not like shooting **** vane down, I get some contact with the hen vane on my big chin!

Any thoughts out there on the Aerorest?
Old 06-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #34
MeanV2

A lot of rests have improved over the last few years and new rests on the market give lots of choices. While there are things I don't like about the Limb Driver it is still one of the Best options out there.

Dan
www.meanvarchery.com
Old 06-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #35
alaz

I think limb drivers are great...just wish they had micro adj, and attached to the lower limb.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #36
MeanV2

The Micro adjust is not that big of a deal to me. it usually just makes the rest heavier and more expensive. I have never saw much of an advantage when tuning.
I do wish they made a model to attach to the lower limb as the most trouble I have experienced with the rest is attaching to the top limb with an HHA, Tight Spot, etc. It just gets crowded

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaz View Post
I think limb drivers are great...just wish they had micro adj, and attached to the lower limb.
www.meanvarchery.com
Old 06-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #37
alaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanV2 View Post
The Micro adjust is not that big of a deal to me. it usually just makes the rest heavier and more expensive. I have never saw much of an advantage when tuning.
I do wish they made a model to attach to the lower limb as the most trouble I have experienced with the rest is attaching to the top limb with an HHA, Tight Spot, etc. It just gets crowded

Dan
I wouldnt mind just a windage micro adjust. Sometimes I have problems just getting those little adjustments.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #38
Gig49

Gig49 is on a distinguished road

Love my Limb Driver, so when your on a good thing, stick with it
Gig49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:56 PM   #39
Firenock

Firenock is on a distinguished road
Default AeroRest

I have all 5 version of the AeroRest out,
Standard, standard with Camo
Micro Adjust, With camo, and optional U-frame. Below are pictures of all five and internal design of the Rest.
General Archery Forum General Archery Forum
General Archery Forum General Archery Forum
General Archery Forum
General Archery Forum

Post or call me for any question or comment.
Use ProString, Posten Stabs
Firenock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #40
J.A.G.

J.A.G. is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to J.A.G.

we've had Limbdrivers and they are great, until they fail. Hub had one fail at a tournament, now he only uses a launcher - either a Trophy taker ss pro or the Spot Hog Edge. But on his hunting rig is still a limbdriver.