Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 01-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
knarly9
Hoyt Katera XT 29.5@62

knarly9 is on a distinguished road
Default PIG HUNTING help

Ok fellow meat seekers, help me. I went on a wild feral hog hunt a few weeks ago (with rifle) and loved it. The land ownner has the property set up for 100-150 yard shots on tripod feeders. I didn't kill anything but did see a few. HOT WEATHER on NEW YEARS seems to keep em laid up during the day. A lot of hogs are taken from this property yearly though. I need help with how to bow hunt them. I have taken many whitetails but Hogs are a new thing to me and all my hunting buddies. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The land is mostly thick cover and marshy located in SC. Probably going back in a couple of weeks. Spot and stalk is my guess.
knarly9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes will become famous soon enoughHoly Smokes will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by knarly9 View Post
Ok fellow meat seekers, help me. I went on a wild feral hog hunt a few weeks ago (with rifle) and loved it. The land ownner has the property set up for 100-150 yard shots on tripod feeders. I didn't kill anything but did see a few. HOT WEATHER on NEW YEARS seems to keep em laid up during the day. A lot of hogs are taken from this property yearly though. I need help with how to bow hunt them. I have taken many whitetails but Hogs are a new thing to me and all my hunting buddies. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The land is mostly thick cover and marshy located in SC. Probably going back in a couple of weeks. Spot and stalk is my guess.
them critters are fearless and territoral
stalking would be foolish
ask the owner to put some feed close to a treeline
call him up and tell him your coming down and want to bowhunt
maybe he will accomadate you

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps
Holy Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:44 AM   #3
Westy
Aussie Member

Westy has a spectacular aura aboutWesty has a spectacular aura about

WoW I know the answer to this one really I do!!! this is our staple hunting diet here in Oz,Stalking Boars is A.O.K and the best time are during the miday heat althought it's winterthere right now isn't it?????Pigs connot sweat and have to controll or regulate their body heat during the day thats why you find them near waterholes wading!!!!Forget about pushing through the scrub unless you have a couple of mean nasty dogs with you who know their stuff.A good pair of dogs can hold a large boar down while you finish the job.The other way is to set a deer or other critters carcase out and set up a hide for them and give'm hell when they turn up to feed!!!they normally won't eat fresh meat so leave it for a day or two and then just wait for nature to do it's thing!!!1Post us a photo of the one that didn't get away when you hunt him down
Cheers westy

Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes will become famous soon enoughHoly Smokes will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
WoW I know the answer to this one really I do!!! this is our staple hunting diet here in Oz,Stalking Boars is A.O.K and the best time are during the miday heat althought it's winterthere right now isn't it?????Pigs connot sweat and have to controll or regulate their body heat during the day thats why you find them near waterholes wading!!!!Forget about pushing through the scrub unless you have a couple of mean nasty dogs with you who know their stuff.A good pair of dogs can hold a large boar down while you finish the job.The other way is to set a deer or other critters carcase out and set up a hide for them and give'm hell when they turn up to feed!!!they normally won't eat fresh meat so leave it for a day or two and then just wait for nature to do it's thing!!!1Post us a photo of the one that didn't get away when you hunt him down
Cheers westy
with a bow
I would want a 44 mag on my hip

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps
Old 01-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
knarly9
Hoyt Katera XT 29.5@62

So, if u were me, try to find a tree in the thick that I could climb with a climber, or stalk outside of the thick? I do not have access to gritty dogs to pin em up. My labrador retriever wouldnt appreciate that assignment.
The feeders are fairly close to tree line but the trees are scrubby.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:35 AM   #6
Westy
Aussie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
with a bow
I would want a 44 mag on my hip
Smokes it's easy once someone shows you how !!!!! 99% of Boars will run scared the other 1% well maybe that 44 might come in handy????

Old 01-19-2012, 03:39 AM   #7
Westy
Aussie Member

Quote:
So, if u were me, try to find a tree in the thick that I could climb with a climber, or stalk outside of the thick? I do not have access to gritty dogs to pin em up. My labrador retriever wouldnt appreciate that assignment.
The feeders are fairly close to tree line but the trees are scrubby.
Remember the critter I said you could use for the bait well if you send in the labrador,you'll have it!!!! maybe move the feeders out into the clear a little,lets face it pigs aren't the brightest of Gods Creations are they???? Their stomichs will over take their common sense before long

Old 01-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #8
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust

wilkersonhunter is on a distinguished road

i went on a wild boar hunt in the mountains of tennessee with my bow 2 different times and killed a 296lbr and a 314lbr and the last time i took my son and he killed also. if you take a bow, then i highly suggest using a cut on contact broad head. i used the magnus heads the 1st year and then tried the slick trick heads and both done just fine. good luck
[/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff
wilkersonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:03 AM   #9
Westy
Aussie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkersonhunter View Post
i went on a wild boar hunt in the mountains of tennessee with my bow 2 different times and killed a 296lbr and a 314lbr and the last time i took my son and he killed also. if you take a bow, then i highly suggest using a cut on contact broad head. i used the magnus heads the 1st year and then tried the slick trick heads and both done just fine. good luck
both of these are fine ,we use the good old tried and tested muzzy phantoms 100grn never given us a lick of trouble ever!!!!

Old 01-20-2012, 03:18 AM   #10
Holy Smokes

Quote:
was that in Crossville tn
did you go on the guided hunt

Old 01-20-2012, 07:23 AM   #11
OneMustFall

OneMustFall is on a distinguished road

Just setup a feeder or corn pile,then put a stand up and wait they will find it.Maybe mix a little strawberry jello mix in with corn.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #12
knarly9
Hoyt Katera XT 29.5@62

I shoot the slick trick mags and love them on whitetails. I figured they'd be extremely effective on pigs too. Thanks for the tips wilkersonhunter.
I have thought about asking the land owner to let me bait one of the feeders with another form of bait, say Acorn rage added to the corn, maybe a couple of days prior. They should go wild over this and its not gonna hurt deer feeding either cause they love that stuff. Has anyone ever used it around hogs, if so, how'd it work?
Old 01-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #13
knarly9
Hoyt Katera XT 29.5@62

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMustFall View Post
Just setup a feeder or corn pile,then put a stand up and wait they will find it.Maybe mix a little strawberry jello mix in with corn.
Thats sounds like it would work, the smell, im guessing would allow them to find it quicker. Ive also heard of putting beer in sweet-feed and letting it ferment. I just dont know if I could waste that much beer.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:39 AM   #14
OneMustFall

OneMustFall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thats sounds like it would work, the smell, im guessing would allow them to find it quicker. Ive also heard of putting beer in sweet-feed and letting it ferment. I just dont know if I could waste that much beer.
Ya save the beer for when you BBQ the hog.........
Old 01-24-2012, 02:18 AM   #15
Westy
Aussie Member

Default Check this out

Here's a mate of ours mick doing what you want to do!!!Hope this helps you

http://youtu.be/_VpRU0S36M8

Cheers Westy

Old 01-24-2012, 02:27 AM   #16
Westy
Aussie Member

Here's a little bit more this time with the recurve and no 44 mag anywhere to be seen!!!!!

http://youtu.be/T_2vFHIC9sA

Hope this gives you some ideas knarly 1

Old 01-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #17
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
was that in Crossville tn
did you go on the guided hunt
no, it was in monteray tenn. and i didnt use a guide. they just showed me a map of the 2300 acre ranch and me and my son took out on the 4 wheeler. Its a lot of fun but i am wanting to give ken moodys ranch a try. i beleive its in clarkrange tenn.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:59 AM   #18
Westy
Aussie Member

High lights from day 4 please enjoy !!!!These are live feeds to youi tube
http://youtu.be/VpoOPOuW_C0

Old 01-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #19
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust

Quote:
High lights from day 4 please enjoy !!!!These are live feeds to youi tube
http://youtu.be/VpoOPOuW_C0

THIS GUY IS BARE FOOTED!!!
Old 01-25-2012, 08:57 PM   #20
knarly9
Hoyt Katera XT 29.5@62

Quote:
THIS GUY IS BARE FOOTED!!!
You guys not have snakes down under? Here in hog country, we got too many biting critters. Copperheads and Cottonmouths tend to hang out with pigs. Rattlesnakes too. Thanks for the video links though Westy. He makes it look almost easy.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #21
Westy
Aussie Member

Quote:
You guys not have snakes down under? Here in hog country, we got too many biting critters. Copperheads and Cottonmouths tend to hang out with pigs. Rattlesnakes too. Thanks for the video links though Westy. He makes it look almost easy.
Only the most deadly in the world!!!!!here in Queensland

Snakes aren't a problem as long as you stay away from the Sharp End Hunting in the wet season ,it's too wet to wear shoes this time of year anyways

Last edited by Westy; 01-25-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #22
knarly9
Hoyt Katera XT 29.5@62

Quote:
Only the most deadly in the world!!!!!here in Queensland

Snakes aren't a problem as long as you stay away from the Sharp End Hunting in the wet season ,it's too wet to wear shoes this time of year anyways
Tiapans would definatly keep me from walking around bare-footed. You ausies must not have hip waders. I hope to get down to the hunting property soon and Ill get back to you all with pics(hopefully).
Old 01-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #23
Westy
Aussie Member

Quote:
Tiapans would definatly keep me from walking around bare-footed. You ausies must not have hip waders. I hope to get down to the hunting property soon and Ill get back to you all with pics(hopefully).
Tiapans aren't a worry there 8-10ft long so you normally see those Buggers!!!It's the little ones like a Death Adder that will always give you the most grief!!!!As for hip waders at 75 degrees and 99.5% humidity your going to get sack rott for sure!!!!!!!

Old 03-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #24
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust

Quote:
Tiapans aren't a worry there 8-10ft long so you normally see those Buggers!!!It's the little ones like a Death Adder that will always give you the most grief!!!!As for hip waders at 75 degrees and 99.5% humidity your going to get sack rott for sure!!!!!!!
I'd rather get sack rot than bitten by one of those monsters and my leg fall off.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #25
Westy
Aussie Member

Wasn' he just the crazyest bugger ever?????

http://youtu.be/HXh0rLQPK5g

Old 03-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #26
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust

Quote:
Wasn' he just the crazyest bugger ever?????

http://youtu.be/HXh0rLQPK5g
this guy has lost his mind
Old 03-29-2012, 03:05 AM   #27
Westy
Aussie Member

Quote:
this guy has lost his mind
give you the heads up this snake has been put on ice and the last bit were he's handling it near his face is the first bit where the snakes still almost asleep and the first bit where it's striking at him is when it's warming up bit of Aussie Bull**** here Mates!!!!A close friend and shooting buddy was tagged buy one of these and he almost lost his life????After 30min he was in a commer and was out for 3 days ,now days he's fine but I hate Snakes!!!!

Old 03-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #28
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust

Quote:
give you the heads up this snake has been put on ice and the last bit were he's handling it near his face is the first bit where the snakes still almost asleep and the first bit where it's striking at him is when it's warming up bit of Aussie Bull**** here Mates!!!!A close friend and shooting buddy was tagged buy one of these and he almost lost his life????After 30min he was in a commer and was out for 3 days ,now days he's fine but I hate Snakes!!!!
only good snake is a dead one