Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 02-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
Lamps3

Lamps3 is on a distinguished road
Default Traditional pull Poundage

If I were in the market for a new bow. What would you recommend for the lbs to pull? This bow would only be used for 3d shoots!

Respectfully, Rickey
Lamps3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:33 AM   #2
sweet old bill

sweet old bill is on a distinguished road

a traditional bow has no let off and if I was going to buy one for just 3D or NFAA I would buy one in the 35 to 45 lb range. I would want it also be about 62 inches long. I would go with 500 spine carbon arrows with 3 4inch feathers, and 100 gr points. Now it also would depend on the end user, I am a old guy so I can not draw and hold a lot of weight. I would look at some of the cheapers bow lines like SAmik from Korea, they do make lots of them and they are cheaper than a custom bow like Martin, or Bear.
Senior archers of Oneonta NY
sweet old bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
Lamps3

Lamps3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet old bill View Post
a traditional bow has no let off and if I was going to buy one for just 3D or NFAA I would buy one in the 35 to 45 lb range. I would want it also be about 62 inches long. I would go with 500 spine carbon arrows with 3 4inch feathers, and 100 gr points. Now it also would depend on the end user, I am a old guy so I can not draw and hold a lot of weight. I would look at some of the cheapers bow lines like SAmik from Korea, they do make lots of them and they are cheaper than a custom bow like Martin, or Bear.
I am shooting with a Heritage Impala model which was only a couple of hundred dollars from Cabellas. It has a 35 pound pull on it. I bought it in 2007 and still using it today with original bow string. I am just starting back into the 3d shoots this year and am having a good time. I am using Red Head Carbon Fury Arrows with first a 100 gr tip, and just bought some 85 gr tips to see if the accuracy improves. I was not happy with the way the 100 gr tips were for accuracy. Hoping with 85's it will improve. The arrows have the dura feathers, which arent really feathers at all. I was just wondering if I have the right equipment to be somewhat competitive. I only shot a 132 on 30 targets this past weekend. I need more "PRACTICE", AND MAYBE INSTRUCTION FROM SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING. Hard to find out here in
Clinton, Mo. I am considering buying the DVD's from Lancaster Archery entitled Master of the Broad Bow, something to that effect. The 2nd volume teaches several different ways to be more accurate with different systems to shoot the arrows. What do you think?
Lamps3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

That bow is fine. I think you want something in the 600 spine. Although feathers are recomended, vanes can be used if the arrow spine is correct. Feathers are my choice if your shooting off the shelf. You can have a fast arrow with carbon in the right stiffness. I use either my 30 or 40 lbers for 3d. It's only got to stick in.
Masters of the bare bow series of cd's are great.

Last edited by red44; 02-25-2012 at 08:45 PM.
red44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

Go to easton archery, click on shaft selector, plug in your stats. I would copy/paste it here but I don't know how to do it with this damm laptop without a mouse, LOL. Ain't no right click, left click thing.