Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 08-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #1
Bowhunter84

Bowhunter84 is on a distinguished road
Default What (if any) are the timing issues with the cam and a half system?

For the past five years I have shot and tuned Mathews. I worked at a Mathews shop and, for the most part, dealt with one cam systems. I am in the market for a target bow, and I am definitely curious about the hoyt. How often do they creep out of time-even with good strings? I probably shoot 200 arrows a week now. I do have a press so I can handle it, but I don't want to worry about it constantly.
Bowhunter84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
elkslayer4x5
EastOutfitters

elkslayer4x5 is on a distinguished road

With a quality after market string and cable set you'll probably never see any creep or streching, with the amount you're shooting now. That said, timing is your biggest concern, and once again with good after market rigging, once set it won't be changing. Make pencil marks on the cam and half at an edge of the limbs as a constant check. Quality rigging, da bomb!
04 Martin Cougar Elite Nitrous C X Quiktune 1000
elkslayer4x5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
Bowhunter4545
Archery field tester

Bowhunter4545 is on a distinguished road

Hello, and welcome to this site, post often.
Bowhunter4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
wihoyt

wihoyt is on a distinguished road

The great thing about a cam and half system is even when they creep a bit out of time they still shoot in a same place as long as your drawing all the way to the stops. They dont act the same as a true dual cam. There is nothing to work about with them
wihoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
montigre
Tidewater Member

montigre is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunter84 View Post
For the past five years I have shot and tuned Mathews. I worked at a Mathews shop and, for the most part, dealt with one cam systems. I am in the market for a target bow, and I am definitely curious about the hoyt. How often do they creep out of time-even with good strings? I probably shoot 200 arrows a week now. I do have a press so I can handle it, but I don't want to worry about it constantly.
I've been shooting Hoyts for the past 3 years and for half a year prior to that, it was a Mathews Q2. I can tell you that the Hoyts are much easier to tune/time and stay that way once you get them there. I currently shoot about 500 arrows a week and once the weather is warm enough for me to shoot outdoors full time, that amount will easily double.

Once my bow is tuned/timed and the string settled, I really don't have to do anything to it unless it is something I'm intentionally doing to get a little different reaction out of the bow. Hoyt's cam .5 system is VERY user friendly. A good friend of mine recently made the switch to a hybrid cam system after shooting single cam bows for years and really likes their ease of set up and flexibility. It's almost a set it and forget it scenario....
montigre is offline   Reply With Quote