Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 04-18-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
AstroArcher

AstroArcher is on a distinguished road
Default A Quick Hello

Hello!

I'm looking to get into archery with my fiancee, she is scared of guns so I can't take her out shooting with me. I've been doing a lot of research and I think we want to start off with a Samick Sage Recurve bow, have seen lots of great reviews on them and for the price point it sounds like its a nicer bow than it costs.

I was looking at a 30-35# draw weight for her/us (but depends on who has what in-stock when I go to place the order), with the plans of getting an extra set of limbs in the 40-45# range for myself to work up to once I get my form down.

I have already found that I should add a Fast Flight Flemish string to it to really improve the bow. I'll probably get a bow stringer too even though I learned how to string my own bows in the boy scouts when I was younger (currently 26).

Now, the thing that kills me is that I live in the desert in the middle of nowhere really, about 2hrs to a big city and from what I can tell neither really have an archery shop. So I'm limited to purchasing things online. And as you all know, the internet is the endless abyss where knowledge pools together and becomes impossible to sort through.

Currently I'm stuck on arrows. Arrows are a whole heck of a lot more complicated than ammo. I've been doing research on arrow selecting for bows during this work shift (I work 4 nights, and sleep during the days in the dorms on-site), and I feel so overwhelmed its like I'm looking at buying my very first 22lr rifle and all of the reloading components to make my ammo because I can't just buy it.

Does anyone have tips on great all around arrows to start with? I'm looking at the 3Rivers Hunters Arrows Test Kit that includes 8 arrows of 4 different spines. But after I narrow down what length arrow and spine I need, do I have to buy a jig for fletching the arrows? Or repairing them? How strong are the pre-fletched arrows that you can buy online, like in basic target practice will the fletches fall off regularly or does it only happen once every couple of months.

Now that its getting to be summertime, our nights are a lot shorter and I have a lot more time during the day to hang out. A coworker told me about a local spot he goes to (we work in a National Forest) for some target practice, and I thought if I had a bow I wouldn't have to worry about always running out of ammo. So I'll basically be able to practice for a couple of hours, 3-4 days in a row, and then only in my freetime when my Fiancee isn't having me do projects around the house (which lets be honest here, I have no free time! ).

Anyways, thanks for any help you all can give me, I'm doing all of the research for her too and would be teaching her as much as I learn but I didn't think it would be this complicated.
AstroArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
shocktrooper1984

shocktrooper1984 is on a distinguished road

The FIRST thing you need to do son is...get her un-scared of guns! Guns dont murder/kill people...people do. Get a 12 gauge to protect her and yourself from mean people that just may find you out there in the middle of nowhere.
2nd...You just can't go wrong with Easton brand arrows and the wealth of charts and info avail on their website. Go there to select the correct arrows for your his & hers bows. Check it out.
3rd...practice, practice, practice AND read, read, read all you can about archery and bow hunting...you're gonna love it!
Good luck, be alert and stay safe!
shocktrooper1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:44 PM   #3
Wheely
Wheely Threads

Wheely has a spectacular aura aboutWheely has a spectacular aura about

Archery is a great way to go, especially if she is afraid of guns. I can't help you with the arrows cuz I just go with what is recommended at the local shop.

Good Luck and have fun!!
Wheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
Ol Tom

Ol Tom is on a distinguished road

Easton is a good choice, but I'm more of a Gold Tip man. An ultralight 400 or a 3555 is an awesome target/practice arrow. Either one will be good. When you get tuned up for hunting a heavier 500 or 600 will be better for penetration, but let's not get the cart in front of the horse. Perfect practice makes perfect, so when you get tired or catch yourself short drawing or snap shooting, take a break and rest up. That's the best advice I have. Hope it helps.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Ol Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #5
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust

wilkersonhunter is on a distinguished road

will agree with ol tom. easton has been around since the begginning of time i think.
[/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff
wilkersonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote