Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 05-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
alaz

alaz is on a distinguished road
Default 1/4 away question

I have a 3d question...
Everytime I shoot an animal the is quartering away, I shoot the edge of the 8 ring (or there abouts) on the hind side. Am I just making a bad shot, or am I supposed to be aiming closer to the neck on quartering animals? I shot paper exlusively before this year...so I need a little help on this one.
Thanks.
alaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
Supermag

Supermag is on a distinguished road

Depending on how much they're quartering away, hitting towards the back of the 8 ring would be correct on a live animal but on a 3D target, you're supposed to be shooting for score.

Some of the Rinehart targets have a back vital that is used when the target is quartering away and the 10 ring on that is in a pretty good position for shooting at an animal that's quartering at approx. 45* to you.
Supermag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
alaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermag View Post
Depending on how much they're quartering away, hitting towards the back of the 8 ring would be correct on a live animal but on a 3D target, you're supposed to be shooting for score.

Some of the Rinehart targets have a back vital that is used when the target is quartering away and the 10 ring on that is in a pretty good position for shooting at an animal that's quartering at approx. 45* to you.
I'm not sure if I am asking the right question...
I want to hit the 10, but I consistently hit the 8 on quartering animals, the same spot! Should be aiming more forward on the animal to compensate, or am I just not getting a good shot off that is making me miss? Is there a particular strategy as far as aiming point when targeting a quartering 3d target?
Old 05-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
chip

chip is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaz View Post
I'm not sure if I am asking the right question...
I want to hit the 10, but I consistently hit the 8 on quartering animals, the same spot! Should be aiming more forward on the animal to compensate, or am I just not getting a good shot off that is making me miss? Is there a particular strategy as far as aiming point when targeting a quartering 3d target?
I think you are asking how to hit the 10 or 12 ring on a quartering shot on a 3D range. In this case, you would need to move your aim point forward somewhat in order to hit the score ring. In real life, your shot as is would be correct.
chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
alaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
I think you are asking how to hit the 10 or 12 ring on a quartering shot on a 3D range. In this case, you would need to move your aim point forward somewhat in order to hit the score ring. In real life, your shot as is would be correct.
That is what I figured.
thanks.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
Supermag

Supermag is on a distinguished road

Ok, sorry about the confusion. Yes, move your point of aim forward a bit. On broadside shots, many people just run up the backside of the leg to the middle of the body and you're there but on a quartering away, it's more like running up the middle of the front legs to get where you need to be.
Supermag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
alaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermag View Post
Ok, sorry about the confusion. Yes, move your point of aim forward a bit. On broadside shots, many people just run up the backside of the leg to the middle of the body and you're there but on a quartering away, it's more like running up the middle of the front legs to get where you need to be.
thanks...that gives me a solid point of reference