Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 08-06-2008, 10:38 PM   #1
jojobama12

jojobama12 is on a distinguished road
Default rage vs. swacker

if been hearin alot about these swacker broadheads and was wandering if they were any good and if so are they better than the rage broadhead????
jojobama12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:12 PM   #2
Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Rage heads have problems-Period. I doubt anything could be worse. I want to try the swhacker, but I am going with tried true and unfailing Magnus 2-blade. The swhacker is the same as the old sonoran blades-so see how you like their reviews. Swhacker brand is too new to have many good reviews on the net, yet.
Tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:56 PM   #3
Werd

Werd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenderfoot View Post
Rage heads have problems-Period. I doubt anything could be worse. I want to try the swhacker, but I am going with tried true and unfailing Magnus 2-blade. The swhacker is the same as the old sonoran blades-so see how you like their reviews. Swhacker brand is too new to have many good reviews on the net, yet.
My orings on the rages kept rottin out. Horrible to me. Then they wouldnt stay shut in my quiver. Most wouldn't open when the enter the deer.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:03 PM   #4
bowcraze30

bowcraze30 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werd View Post
My orings on the rages kept rottin out. Horrible to me. Then they wouldnt stay shut in my quiver. Most wouldn't open when the enter the deer.
the o rings arent used to keep them shut.
bowcraze30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:10 PM   #5
Werd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowcraze30 View Post
the o rings arent used to keep them shut.
Yes they are? They are used as a shock adsorber, and the blade " slips " under it to keep it locked.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:28 PM   #6
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

The customers at our shop absolutely love the rage heads, period.
The holes we've seen are incredible. The only bad report we have had was an elk hunt. When I grilled him on it, he said it was shot in the neck. Yep, that's a broadhead problem for sure.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:12 PM   #7
Werd

dont get me wrong chris, i love them too, but i may have had a bad batch, i think they did have a couple bad runs with the blades not opening. How about them crimson talons?
Old 08-08-2008, 12:02 AM   #8
I missed

I missed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes they are? They are used as a shock adsorber, and the blade " slips " under it to keep it locked.
what are you talking about!!!
it is used as a shock absorber the blades lock into place
Old 08-08-2008, 12:08 AM   #9
I missed

I missed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
dont get me wrong chris, i love them too, but i may have had a bad batch, i think they did have a couple bad runs with the blades not opening. How about them crimson talons?
and the blade " slips " under it to keep it locked.

well theres your problem!!
Old 08-08-2008, 01:16 PM   #10
Werd

Quote:
Originally Posted by I missed View Post
and the blade " slips " under it to keep it locked.

well theres your problem!!
the sharp part that cuts the animal doesnt go under it, the back part of the blade, under the sharp part.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:00 PM   #11
bowcraze30

bowcraze30 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
the sharp part that cuts the animal doesnt go under it, the back part of the blade, under the sharp part.
the way u said it made it sound like u put the o rings over the blades.
bowcraze30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:38 PM   #12
Werd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowcraze30 View Post
the way u said it made it sound like u put the o rings over the blades.
LoL! let me clear that up. The bottom of the blade has a little" lip " thing that hides under the oring to keep it shut. then you know the rest. lol
Old 08-09-2008, 03:40 AM   #13
kbohunt
are u a fat boy?

kbohunt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kbohunt
Default ha there

Must be a north-south thing i guess
My nephew switched to the rage last year
and he switched back to his rockets..lol
they aint sellin down here like they were last year when ya couldnt keep them on tha shelf.

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
Arrows..beman ICS hunter
SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
FBSA-MEMBER
Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A
kbohunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:03 PM   #14
Rino

Rino is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbohunt View Post
Must be a north-south thing i guess
My nephew switched to the rage last year
and he switched back to his rockets..lol
they aint sellin down here like they were last year when ya couldnt keep them on tha shelf.
Hey, Maybe I should have you pick me up a couple packs if they go on sale since nobody is buying them. Here in MN they go for as much as a tank of gas.
But they definitely put a hole in a deer big enough for my 4-year-old to crawl through!
A lot of blood.
Rino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:42 AM   #15
kbohunt
are u a fat boy?

Default ha there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rino View Post
Hey, Maybe I should have you pick me up a couple packs if they go on sale since nobody is buying them. Here in MN they go for as much as a tank of gas.
But they definitely put a hole in a deer big enough for my 4-year-old to crawl through!
O i know the damage they can do ive see it.
But rockets do the same.and have been alot longer than rage has
thats why ppl dont change when something works
when it stops then they change.or atleast i do..lol
my nephew just got out of collage 2 tears ago
i got him into bowhuntin when he was 16
and he's an engeneer so he buys all top quality stuff.
he went on tha bandwagon with rage and his 4 buddys that he bowhunts with
they even went out and leased 400acres of farm land at the base of a mountain to bowhunt only on..
there what i call high class red-necks with there big 4-wheelers and all
anyway .
He and one of his buddys switched to rage.
he was shooting rockets before and switched becausethey say rage makes a bigger whole.in a deer ..lmao
and his buddy was useing muzzys and was trying his first mechinicals.
they both in 2 days had a problem on the shot with the rage.
my nephew shot a 10pt in the 145class the first day of hunting season.
ive allready told everyone this last year..but ill do it 1 more time lol
he shot the deer at 28yds.quatering away..the arrow passed thru the deer and stuck in the ground on the other side.
he called me to drive 55miles and ask me to track for him.
he was very nervious and told me he made a great hit.i believed him.
he said at the shot the deer bolted off down a powerline and never stopped.
when i got there wasnt much blood and the broadhead looked like it didnt open.
we found the deer about 150yds up the powerline the hit was high at the top of both lungs..the deer just exploded and ran till he was dead on his feet.
the whole in the deer on both sides was around the size of a nickle or a little bigger..the rage did its job by killing the deer but my nephew..( john )
Well he is now an anti-rage kinda guy.
I havent tryed them so i dont care what ppl shoot..i know what i shoot allways works..so far..( Knock on wood )
This broadhead he shot the deer with came stright out of the package
he checked to see if it worked fine and it did..it just didnt open on this deer.
His buddy ( ray ) shot a doe with a new one out of the package..a couple days later checked the same broadhead thought it was fine..tryed to shoot another deer with the same one..this time it was a small 8pt ..it didnt open this time..they didnt find the deer.
he now shoots muzzys and wont even touch a mechinical..i told him try rockets or anything and he wont.
so rage is giveing ppl a bad taste in there mouth..in some places as you can see.
I think its a pretty good broadhead myself..but like anything i want consistancy.when it comes to killing an animal..i aint got time to blame a broadhead my time in the woods is to important to me..
Anytime ya need some shoot me a pm i think there like 26.99 for 3 around here.
have a great bowseason
kenny

Arrows..beman ICS hunter
FBSA-MEMBER
Old 08-10-2008, 07:16 AM   #16
Paul S.
I do not follow!

Paul S. is on a distinguished road

What possible advantage does a mechanical have over a fixed blade anyway? I see them as one more possible thing to go wrong. I've never shot one, so can you shoot the same weight field tip and not have to tune them? Is that the attraction to them? Until I figure out a good reason to switch, I'll stick with my fixed blades.

3D for CP - www.archeryata.com/3dcp.html
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:29 AM   #17
MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S. View Post
What possible advantage does a mechanical have over a fixed blade anyway? I see them as one more possible thing to go wrong. I've never shot one, so can you shoot the same weight field tip and not have to tune them? Is that the attraction to them? Until I figure out a good reason to switch, I'll stick with my fixed blades.
I'm the same way. I think there are a lot of good Mech. Broadheads out there but I have heard too many horror stories and when I pull back on a deer I don't want to have to second guess anything. I'm not knocking mechs. Im just an old dog and will stay with the fixed. My buddy hunts with the rage and loves them.
MoSkeeter0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:23 PM   #18
kbohunt
are u a fat boy?

Default hi paul

Quote:
There are several advantages to a mechinical
the main one is if you make a bad hit because the animal was walking or it trys to jump the string..its still gonna die..if the mechinical opens like its supposed to.
I was very sceptical about changeing until 10 years ago.
i tested the whole bunch of them before i desided on 1
just like i did on the fixed blade until i desided on the muzzy..same thing
I make a bad hit by 2 inches the deer go's down now thats the reason.
the Rockets i shoot open to 2 inches and ive hit a deer quarting away and the hole in them was like 5inch long..these things are bad and you need to give them a try.
The only other blade i use now is fixed off my re-curve its a lead cutting edge broadhead the steelforce sabertooth 100.
but as far as going back to fixed.on a deer..i dont want a big buck getting away because of my mistakes or because he was nervious when he came in and tryed to jump the string..
thats my stand on mechinicals.
some work..some dont...im not useing the ones that dont.
have a great bowseason

Arrows..beman ICS hunter
FBSA-MEMBER
Old 08-10-2008, 05:03 PM   #19
Paul S.
I do not follow!

Paul S. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
There are several advantages to a mechinical
the main one is if you make a bad hit because the animal was walking or it trys to jump the string..its still gonna die..if the mechinical opens like its supposed to.
I was very sceptical about changeing until 10 years ago.
i tested the whole bunch of them before i desided on 1
just like i did on the fixed blade until i desided on the muzzy..same thing
I make a bad hit by 2 inches the deer go's down now thats the reason.
the Rockets i shoot open to 2 inches and ive hit a deer quarting away and the hole in them was like 5inch long..these things are bad and you need to give them a try.
The only other blade i use now is fixed off my re-curve its a lead cutting edge broadhead the steelforce sabertooth 100.
but as far as going back to fixed.on a deer..i dont want a big buck getting away because of my mistakes or because he was nervious when he came in and tryed to jump the string..
thats my stand on mechinicals.
some work..some dont...im not useing the ones that dont.
have a great bowseason

Thanks for that. I'd have to do some serious testing myself before I would consider changing. Maybe someday, but for now, I'll stick with my Muzzys. Its that "if" they open that scares me. I try to get out as much as I can during the season, but even then my time is limited, and I can't risk anything.

3D for CP - www.archeryata.com/3dcp.html
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:18 PM   #20
kbohunt
are u a fat boy?

Default i agree

Quote:
Thanks for that. I'd have to do some serious testing myself before I would consider changing. Maybe someday, but for now, I'll stick with my Muzzys. Its that "if" they open that scares me. I try to get out as much as I can during the season, but even then my time is limited, and I can't risk anything.
100% i agree with you..be very sceptical about anything we do.
and some of the guys on here that know me know how scepitical i am about takeing game.
I didnt just jump up and one day say i was gonna shoot a mechinical.
And im not any kind of salesman for anything.
but i will tell you this.
If you or anyone that shoots a muzzy..which i love..and switched to a 100gr Rocket hammerhead for 1 season.and got a shot at a deer...you would kick yourself for not trying them along time ago..i guarantee it.
cause when i first used a Rocket Mini-blaster 10-12 years ago..i kicked myself royaly in the butt for not doing this earilier.
and im 46 been bowhuntin since i was 15.and this old dog will learn a new trick every now and then.

Arrows..beman ICS hunter
FBSA-MEMBER
Old 08-13-2008, 12:24 PM   #21
Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Hey, I was just watching Hank Parker 3D TV. His son shot a big old buck through the liver on a quartering shot and lodged the swhacker in the vitals...but the arrow only penetrated about half way down the shaft. It entered from behind the ribs which should have been a very soft shot. It was at 30 yards(they said). If he didn't bust any bones, why did it only go so shallow? The deer died, but the swacker did not go deep. They look iffy. It performed, but I doubt the broadhead after seeing that.
Tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:26 PM   #22
OrthoPT

OrthoPT is on a distinguished road

The swacker broadhead is the current sonoran broadhead made here in Az. I just got off the phone with Rick the Owner of Sonoran and they combined companies to form Swacker. The 2 blade broadhead is held together in flight with shrink tubing and the blades are made in germany and are super sharp. I shot a deer with the broadhead at 42 yds and he went approx. 20ft before expiring. They fly very well and are a well made broadhead with thick blades. If you want to buy some go on to sonoran broadhead site and buy the 2 blade 100 or 125 gr head. The design of the head will not change only the company name. The change should take place by mid fall ie. Nov or Dec.
Hope this clears things up and give the sonoran/swacker head a try you will not be dissatisfied.
Mile High Archery
OrthoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:09 PM   #23
scottg
Huntin Junkie

scottg is on a distinguished road

O rings on the rage are easily replaced and pretty cheap. Things do wear out and need to be replaced. Also, anything mechanical that can malfunction, will malfunction at some point.

I guess that if one shot out of 50 does not open and only wound the deer, that is still better than 5 out of 50 with a fixed blade. There is no such thing that a perfect boradhead or bow. If there was, that is all that anyone would own. I think that the Rage is still a bit better than the pointed rock that was used 150 years ago.

If you can read this, thank a teacher
If you can read this in english, thank a soldier.

08 82nd Airborne, 29" - 60 lbs - 300 fps
Octane Hostage Pro
Octane quiver
G5 XR .019 sights, Meta peep
Sims S-coil
Carbon Force Radial X-weav, Rage 3-blade - 390 grn

06 Tribute, 27.5" - 284 fps
scottg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:10 PM   #24
red man

red man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobama12 View Post
if been hearin alot about these swacker broadheads and was wandering if they were any good and if so are they better than the rage broadhead????
is there any where you can get the swacker BH besides of the tv
2008 Mathews Switchback XT
Mathews Ovation blubbery
red man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:13 PM   #25
beenfarr

beenfarr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
O i know the damage they can do ive see it.
But rockets do the same.and have been alot longer than rage has
thats why ppl dont change when something works
when it stops then they change.or atleast i do..lol
my nephew just got out of collage 2 tears ago
i got him into bowhuntin when he was 16
and he's an engeneer so he buys all top quality stuff.
he went on tha bandwagon with rage and his 4 buddys that he bowhunts with
they even went out and leased 400acres of farm land at the base of a mountain to bowhunt only on..
there what i call high class red-necks with there big 4-wheelers and all
anyway .
He and one of his buddys switched to rage.
he was shooting rockets before and switched becausethey say rage makes a bigger whole.in a deer ..lmao
and his buddy was useing muzzys and was trying his first mechinicals.
they both in 2 days had a problem on the shot with the rage.
my nephew shot a 10pt in the 145class the first day of hunting season.
ive allready told everyone this last year..but ill do it 1 more time lol
he shot the deer at 28yds.quatering away..the arrow passed thru the deer and stuck in the ground on the other side.
he called me to drive 55miles and ask me to track for him.
he was very nervious and told me he made a great hit.i believed him.
he said at the shot the deer bolted off down a powerline and never stopped.
when i got there wasnt much blood and the broadhead looked like it didnt open.
we found the deer about 150yds up the powerline the hit was high at the top of both lungs..the deer just exploded and ran till he was dead on his feet.
the whole in the deer on both sides was around the size of a nickle or a little bigger..the rage did its job by killing the deer but my nephew..( john )
Well he is now an anti-rage kinda guy.
I havent tryed them so i dont care what ppl shoot..i know what i shoot allways works..so far..( Knock on wood )
This broadhead he shot the deer with came stright out of the package
he checked to see if it worked fine and it did..it just didnt open on this deer.
His buddy ( ray ) shot a doe with a new one out of the package..a couple days later checked the same broadhead thought it was fine..tryed to shoot another deer with the same one..this time it was a small 8pt ..it didnt open this time..they didnt find the deer.
he now shoots muzzys and wont even touch a mechinical..i told him try rockets or anything and he wont.
so rage is giveing ppl a bad taste in there mouth..in some places as you can see.
I think its a pretty good broadhead myself..but like anything i want consistancy.when it comes to killing an animal..i aint got time to blame a broadhead my time in the woods is to important to me..
Anytime ya need some shoot me a pm i think there like 26.99 for 3 around here.
have a great bowseason
kenny
Were these the 2 or 3 blade? I just some 2 blade, and now I'm nervous.

FBSA Member
beenfarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:38 PM   #26
gobucs84

gobucs84 is on a distinguished road

I recently purchased the Swhacker broadhead and found several things that I did not like. According to the tv commercial and the website the swhacker has a 2 1/4" cut but when I recieved mine it was only a 1 3/4" cut. A half inch is a very big difference. Also they never mention any o-ring or shrink tube that hold the blades closed. I sent an email to the Swhacker company asking about returning them (since they aren't what was advertised) about two weeks ago and am still waiting for a reply. The broadhead is probably a good broadhead but after all the problems and the lack of customer support, I'm very dissapointed and have little faith in them and would never puchase another pack.
gobucs84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:29 PM   #27
hoytman

hoytman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
ive had very good luck with the crimson talons excellent blood trail and shoot very accurately
hoytman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:50 PM   #28
Hoyt_563

Hoyt_563 is on a distinguished road

im not really a big rage fan.
Cobra DiamondBack
Maxima 250`s
Hoyt_563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:27 PM   #29
dreco
dreco

dreco is on a distinguished road
Default Mechanical vs. Fixed Broadheads

I am perfectly satisfied with shooting G5 Montecs, and see no advantage to mechanicals of any brand.

I only shoot animals standing broadside within 30 yards, and 1 1/16" entrance and exit holes are sufficient for producing good blood trails. They are dependable, fly accurate, I have complete confidence and proven performance. What more does one need?

dreco

Last edited by dreco; 08-14-2009 at 09:29 PM. Reason: spelling correction
dreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:48 PM   #30
Breck

Breck is on a distinguished road

I purchased a pack of the rage heads and test shot them sometimes they would open sometimes not. I agree some expandable's will leave a nasty hole.

If you want to be 100% sure that you expandable will open get the old style Vortec expandable head It will open no matter what They come in a plane cardboard package.

They are very tough I have shot several deer with these and the hole is more brutal than anything out there. They make them in different flavors.

I posted this a few times seems like no one wants to listen.

There is too much mechanical movement of the Rage blades one blade get's binded on the other.

Get a Vortec and be done with it. No more problems.

Last edited by Breck; 08-15-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:56 AM   #31
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

As someone that owns a bow shop, I've heard more tall tales on broadheads than you could imagine. You name it, I've heard it.

I'll tell you this, I'm shooting rage until I prove to myself that it doesn't work. So far, I don't see that happening.

You can't blame a broadhead on a poor shot, period.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:39 PM   #32
'SIN'ERGY

'SIN'ERGY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That's because you missed the deer remember??
Old 08-16-2009, 03:45 PM   #33
killbambidead
bambi killer

killbambidead is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
As someone that owns a bow shop, I've heard more tall tales on broadheads than you could imagine. You name it, I've heard it.

I'll tell you this, I'm shooting rage until I prove to myself that it doesn't work. So far, I don't see that happening.

You can't blame a broadhead on a poor shot, period.
i agree 100% with you there
killbambidead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:44 PM   #34
J.Blay

J.Blay is on a distinguished road

I read that Rage redesigned the 3 blade models because the front shoulders of the blades were too rounded and sometimes wouldn't open. I took 4 for 4 last year with my 2 blade versions without a problem. 3 things I ALWAYS do with any mechanical broadhead. First I inspect and move all working parts of the broadhead. I don't use what seems less than perfect. Second, I sharpen even new blades. The cut on contact tip on a new Rage is dull. Third, I disassemble, scald, scrub, and resharpen before reuse. Any tallow left behind can cause problems.
J.Blay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #35
HoytUSA

HoytUSA is on a distinguished road

I shot the rage 2 blade last year and was very dissapointed. I think I may try the Rage 3 blades this year...I am just a little worried that the same thing will happen that happened with the 2 blades. I would really appritiate any input on this matter. What are you talking about when you said you clean them...help me out, I'm bow and broadhead ignorant.
HoytUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:18 PM   #36
grizz49
Old Archer

grizz49 is on a distinguished road
Angry Quality Broadheads

At $40.00 for a pack of three broadheads, there should be no problems!
Don't get hung up on what is trendy, surely you have a tried and try in your arsenal. I personaly do not like paying $40.00 FOR MOSTLY ALUMINUM.
09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.
grizz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:55 PM   #37
Breck

Breck is on a distinguished road

If you had issues with the 2 blade why would buy the 3 blade? Tune your bow good and get broadheads and be done with it.

You spent $40+ bucks for 3 another 3 thats $80 that a lot for 6 heads. You can get 12 slick tricks for that price.

Chris, I have test shot these heads and they do not open all the time. I blade will open the other will get binded by the other. Does not happen all the time. The one's I have I shot several times at a target at least 3 time's they did not open properly. Try it for yourself.

Last edited by Breck; 08-16-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:37 PM   #38
Looney Bin
At least I admit Im Crazy

Looney Bin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Blay View Post
I read that Rage redesigned the 3 blade models because the front shoulders of the blades were too rounded and sometimes wouldn't open. I took 4 for 4 last year with my 2 blade versions without a problem. 3 things I ALWAYS do with any mechanical broadhead. First I inspect and move all working parts of the broadhead. I don't use what seems less than perfect. Second, I sharpen even new blades. The cut on contact tip on a new Rage is dull. Third, I disassemble, scald, scrub, and resharpen before reuse. Any tallow left behind can cause problems.

This is the reason I stopped shooting Rage. They were deadly, accurate and left great blood trails. However, most of the time the blades were bent once throug an animal, cleaning them and changing the blades was a pain in the arse. All most made them disposeable BH's. Honestly all that was a pain, but the bigger problem I had was keeping them closed in and out of a quiver.

Last, I never had one open in flight, but my best friend did. It really threw him for a loop.

Looney Bin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:02 AM   #39
grizz49
Old Archer

grizz49 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Broadhead Commercials

Chris,

The reason that head is popular at your shop is because Rage, that is Feild Logic is spending a ton of advertising on TV and magazines to promote there product. They have been out long enough that some issues are showing up with them. Again as stated in other threads $40.00 is a lot to pay for Aluminum. Give me a ready sharp stick already fixed and ready to cut. Amen!

I have a good friend of mine who is what is considered today a trophy hunter,
he has to his credit some forty head mounts, from 160 to 190+. He told me recently the rage head works, he in fact used it last season. However like some have stated the removeal from a quiver can upset the lock down of the washer. If shot like this you will have very poor results. So now you would have one more thing to miss things up on a animal of a life time. I say no thanks, razor sharp ready stick for me. Fully deployed and ready to go, thats the way Fred Bear done it.
09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.
grizz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:52 AM   #40
Ohansolo

Ohansolo is on a distinguished road

Rage heads have a problem when they go into the quiver not when they come out. Also I would like to mention that I put an arrow on the string when i hang the bow in the stand. You may not knock an arrow until you see the deer you want but that's your choice. I have killed deer with fixed and mech and I don't think one is better than another. I do think that many a bad shot have been blamed on bh's weather fixed or mech. When i went to get a new pack of g5 striker I had a person tell me a story about how he shot a deer with a striker and the arrow bounced off its shoulder at 20 yards. I asked what speed his bow shot, he replied 298. Now we all know that what this man said is not true. Some people just can't say I messed up. Sometimes an arrow hits a branch, sometimes the string hits your shirt, and sometimes we just make a bad shot. In the end we should all face the truth, If you hit the lungs or hart your field points will do the job. if you shoot rage and the blades don't open you have less cutting surface but if the arrow is aimed right it matters not.
Ohansolo is offline   Reply With Quote