Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 03-05-2012, 12:35 AM   #1
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about
Default High Fence = Hunting?

I'm currently involved in discussion on the other site on this. How do you guys feel about it? IMO if there's a fence, it aint right to call it hunting. But I only own a few acres.
Does size matter? A fence is a fence. If it does'nt, why not just remove the fence?
Old 03-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Carpshooter will become famous soon enoughCarpshooter will become famous soon enough
Talking Here's what I think !

Depends on the shooter , as I'd never shoot a critter that can't be free unless it's one of them darn underwater critter and than it's anything goes !
Carpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

The thread over there was locked down. I'm disapointed more hunters can't seperate themselves from ANY fenced "hunt". Call it a harvest and I'm fine with it, we've done in cows, pigs and chickens and put them in the freezer. There was no part of it I would call HUNTING. Stop supporting it as hunting, it is'nt. It should never be spoken of in the same subject as hunting. We cage trap alot of critters to keep them out of the garden, and I don't consider that hunting either. Let's stop the bull****, and stop supporting what is'nt right just because it's currently legal. Alot of stuff is legal, but it doesn't make it right.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
Berserker

Berserker is on a distinguished road

Amen red i trapped a mouse i wasnt hunting

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
red44

Like when we elect a Senator, who gets a retirement plan as soon as he's in. It's legal, but it is'nt right. OT a bit, but you understand. Stop accepting **** that is'nt right just because there is a loophole in the law for them to hide behind. We need to police ourselves. Hunting is not in a Union. We don't need to protect the ****heads just to save hunting.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:34 AM   #6
Westy
Aussie Member

Westy has a spectacular aura aboutWesty has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by red44 View Post
Like when we elect a Senator, who gets a retirement plan as soon as he's in. It's legal, but it is'nt right. OT a bit, but you understand. Stop accepting **** that is'nt right just because there is a loophole in the law for them to hide behind. We need to police ourselves. Hunting is not in a Union. We don't need to protect the ****heads just to save hunting.
Couldn't of said it better!!!!If it's got a fence it's a Farm Animal or Ranch Critter as you good old boys call it!!!!!Try hunting on some of the locals farms here and see what you get?????? Red Your right on Old Mate!!!!!

Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:07 AM   #7
jwelectric

jwelectric is on a distinguished road

What is FBSA?

My idea of hunting is what I am doing when I canít find my car keys.
jwelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
red44

Another offshoot group of ultra great, fantastic archers who used to hang around here. I think it was Fantastic Bow Shooters Association or something like that, LOL. I paid alot to get in.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:34 PM   #9
Berserker

Are you crapin me fantastic bow shooters thats pretty funny

Old 03-08-2012, 04:29 AM   #10
dbdcougar
He Who Drops His Bow Arm

dbdcougar will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I think it was Fantastic Bow Shooters Association
Yeah, yeah, that was it!
dbdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #11
red44

Fanastic Bow Shooters Association, yup. Some good guys were in it. All were members here prior to the formation of the FBSA, The web site folded as far as I know, but a few of us are still here. LOL. Thanks Chris....
Old 03-13-2012, 08:07 PM   #12
red44

Highjacked my own thread LOL, Back OT.
High Fence = harvest
No Fence = hunting
Old 03-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #13
Berserker

Im changin my prior statement red those damn mice keep gettim into my sunflowers seeds now im humting them but fence = harvest or jarvest if you have big fingers

Old 03-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #14
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Carpshooter will become famous soon enoughCarpshooter will become famous soon enough
Talking Confession time !

I once wanted to shoot a Tiger at the Henry Doory Zoo in Omaha , Nebraska , a few years back !

Glad I got that off my chest now !
Old 03-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #15
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust

wilkersonhunter is on a distinguished road

I'll put my 2 cents in this one. well, i think it has a lot to do with the size of the ranch. Imo and only my opinion is that if the ranch is over 1000 acres or bigger it really doesnt matter cause a deer is a master at hiding from any predator. Most people make the misconception that if a ranch has a fence its some sort of a advantage. and that might be true to a certain extent but like i said before, take a mature deer and put it in a 1000 fenced in acres and see how long it takes the average hunter to kill it.
[/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff
wilkersonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #16
Berserker

True plus ive seen deer hop over pretty tall fences

Old 03-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #17
Ohansolo

Ohansolo is on a distinguished road

I'm with wilkerson on this one. if the fenced area is huge and most likely larger than the animals home range then what is the difference. On the other hand if the area is 50 acers and has 30 trophies walking around on it I would call that fish in a barrel. If a stream is stocked do we no longer call it fishing?

I would consider the use of many game cameras a bigger advantage to the hunter than having a high fence around 10,000 acers. but I use a game camera all the same. not really for scouting locations more to get a look at what is out there and identify the shooters and the ones that are yet to become shooters.

I have never hunted in a fence and don't intend to.
Ohansolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #18
longcut36

longcut36 has a spectacular aura aboutlongcut36 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Another offshoot group of ultra great, fantastic archers who used to hang around here. I think it was Fantastic Bow Shooters Association or something like that, LOL. I paid alot to get in.
how about fat boys shooting archery.

sent using my keyboard and two fingers
longcut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #19
red44

could have been....?
Old 03-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #20
red44

Wilkerson, I do agree with you on the size. Hate to admitt it but size does matter LOL. A 10,000 acre ranch is alot different than a 20 acre game farm. I don't know why anyone would fence 10,000 acres, or how anyone could afford to. To fence in deer would require a hell of a fence. Not just a few strands of barbed wire like for cows.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #21
vortec 1
Scent free & sittin High

vortec 1 is on a distinguished road
Default I look at it like this

If he cant' jump the fence than it's a pet. If the habitat is controled than the Rack is un natural.These bucks should not be allowed in BnC. JMO
Old 03-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #22
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkersonhunter View Post
I'll put my 2 cents in this one. well, i think it has a lot to do with the size of the ranch. Imo and only my opinion is that if the ranch is over 1000 acres or bigger it really doesnt matter cause a deer is a master at hiding from any predator. Most people make the misconception that if a ranch has a fence its some sort of a advantage. and that might be true to a certain extent but like i said before, take a mature deer and put it in a 1000 fenced in acres and see how long it takes the average hunter to kill it.

So size really does matter...... I knew she was lyin
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #23
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortec 1 View Post
If he cant' jump the fence than it's a pet. If the habitat is controled than the Rack is un natural.These bucks should not be allowed in BnC. JMO

I agree with this.........if the deer is fed or are raised or bred for size, horns, or with any type of human interferance it is a penned animal and shouldn't count in any book.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:09 AM   #24
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Talking A little known fact !

I was at the Iowa State fair last year and could of shot this trophey elk !

I really wanted to shoot this critter and be the best hunter here , no doubt about that , just look at this beast !

But beings the ethical hunter that I am , I passed !
Attached Thumbnails
Bowhunting forum - Click for larger version   Bowhunting forum - Click for larger version   Bowhunting forum - Click for larger version  
Old 03-31-2012, 03:01 AM   #25
Westy
Aussie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpshooter View Post
I was at the Iowa State fair last year and could of shot this trophey elk !

I really wanted to shoot this critter and be the best hunter here , no doubt about that , just look at this beast !

But beings the ethical hunter that I am , I passed !
Did they have a cat show at the state fair????We don't call our state fair that it's known as the Ekka!!!!Short for exibition fair

Last edited by Westy; 03-31-2012 at 03:03 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:01 AM   #26
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Talking Here's what I think !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
Did they have a cat show at the state fair????We don't call our state fair that it's known as the Ekka!!!!Short for exibition fair
I'm sure they did , as you Aussies need somewhere to check out your next tropheys !

Old 03-31-2012, 07:16 AM   #27
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Talking Alittle known fact !

Guess I should of shot that elk and made the papers , as by now I'd be in some nuthouse !

Old 03-31-2012, 03:30 PM   #28
Westy
Aussie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpshooter View Post
Guess I should of shot that elk and made the papers , as by now I'd be in some nuthouse !

Oh you mean your not the Carpshooter from Happy Meadows Asylum????Could have fooled me???

Old 03-31-2012, 11:09 PM   #29
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Talking A little known fact !

Quote:
Oh you mean your not the Carpshooter from Happy Meadows Asylum????Could have fooled me???
That's the place for all the cat & dog shooters go !

It's full of Aussies !
Old 06-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #30
ahunter55

ahunter55 is on a distinguished road

First off, I've done 95+% of my 55 bowhunting years DIY, Public access so I KNOW about fair chase. 10 years ago I researched High Fence Hunting & after a year, decided to try it. My 1st Bowhunt was on a little over 1000 acre fenced ranch. Having lived in GREAT Whitetail country all my life I was & am not interested in shooting a Whitetail in a HF. I WAS & AM interested in Bowhunting animals not native to the US & places where I cannot afford to hunt them in their native land. My main reason going HF was I could do it in the off season when Deer, Turkey & other North American Biggame seasons are closed & I could be in the field hunting more. 2nd, was the thought of chasing an animal normally out of my reach $$$ wise. I chose to hunt places called day lease, where you pay a flat fee for x number of days to hunt, with lodging but no additional fees IF you kill something. They do not guarantee you to even get a shot, just hunting of their land. I have Bowhunted 1000, 1200 & 4000 acre ranches & enjoyed each & every hunt. NO, I have not killed something on every hunt as many seem to think you will. I've also hunted Hogs on several of these places & a few others that are exclusive hog operations & a couple Hog places are only 500 acres (low fence). No matter, Hogs don't stay anyplace they don't want to & since the fences are NOT BURIED, they can leave anytime.
I know many would NEVER consider tainting their I AM ONLY A FAIR CHASE hunter with a HF but IF some of these hunters would try it, I think they would find it to be very enjoyable. BUT, I know that ain't gonna happen. What I have found is many of those SAME hunters are placing attractants, food plots, food sources JUST to draw animals into a shooting are. EVEN in states where it is ILLIGAL. The reply is (mostly), Oh, I don't hunt by them, they are just to get trail cam pics for my HIT LIST. Thats a new Bowhunting term that was not around my 1st 45 years of Bowhunting.
I've NEVER gun hunted a biggame animal BUT take my hat off to those who are successful, same as the crossbow hunters. As I've said, I've been fortunate to have hunted soooo many Biggame animals most will only dream of. Example, I've been on about 30 Elk & Mule deer Bowhunts (2 guided), 15 Black Bear (6 guided by law), 2 Caribou (guided by law), Whitetail in 13 States-all DIY, Public land but 1 & a ton of other DIY Bowhunts for various animals. No, I would not hunt the put & take trophy fee places-that is a guarantee shoot/kill. Anyway, it's an argument that will never be solved but yes, (my opinion) there is a place for it. Check out my album & you'll see I have been blessed with great Bowhunting success (If you call a kill success). Lots of public land & DIY for sure.. I did my 1st ever DIY, puClick image for larger version

Name:	MenGoatresize.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	25595

Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0017.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	25596

Click image for larger version

Name:	BigFallow.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	25597blic land Antelope Bowhunt in 2010 at age 68..
ahunter55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #31
DeerHunter55

DeerHunter55 is on a distinguished road

High fence is cheating. Like shooting fish in a barrel in my eyes.
DeerHunter55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:39 PM   #32
Westy
Aussie Member

You know that High Fence hunting has been going on for 1000's of years!!!!!!Look what the ancent chinese built to keep the Rabbits out!!!!!

http://youtu.be/DvlWQyvEI38

see we Australians have a answer for everything!!!!!

Old 08-03-2012, 06:21 AM   #33
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust

wilkersonhunter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerHunter55 View Post
High fence is cheating. Like shooting fish in a barrel in my eyes.
Have you ever hunted high fence? I went to a ranch in Tennessee to hunt some wild hogs a couple years ago and it was 2000 plus acres and it took me the better part of the weekend to kill a nice boar. Go hunt a mature whitetail and let me know if its like shooting fish in a barrel.

[/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff
wilkersonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #34
OneMustFall

OneMustFall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm currently involved in discussion on the other site on this. How do you guys feel about it? IMO if there's a fence, it aint right to call it hunting. But I only own a few acres.
Does size matter? A fence is a fence. If it does'nt, why not just remove the fence?
My take is hunting is hunting ,as long as it's legal then it's fine by me.There is enough bad press against hunter's we dont need to fight among ourself's about what is right.
Do whats legal have fun and get a huntin.............
OneMustFall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:06 AM   #35
Westy
Aussie Member

Quote:
I just read this and can't belive I'm really this funny!!!Nice Work Westy