Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 09-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about
Default OT, rifle Maine bear

My nephew connected. He's been trying with gun and bow for 4 or 5 years. He got one, 150 sow, with his Rem 06. Looking forward to trying some pork recipies. Should be a good eater.
I don't know yet if he's got pics but I'll post them if he does. He's a good guy and well deserving. Bow hunting is his priority, but not too proud to hammer one when needed. Good going Erick!

Last edited by red44; 09-12-2012 at 09:44 PM.
red44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

Post pics, I ve always wanted to go after a bear.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

Just sent him a text, to email me one if he took one.
I hunted in the same area he got it for years, but later in the deer season and the bears were usually denned up by then. I did draw blood once and never found it. I pretty much swore bears off after that. I did'nt (still don't) know if they were anything I would eat. I resolved to say that if I don't know, I would'nt kill just to say it got one. I will be trying this one. Erick has had it several times and tells me it is good. He's had it from an all day crock pot every time.
My dads uncle grew up in the same area, born in 1920 (to give you a time frame) back when there was a bounty on bears. His dad took 98 bears over his lifetime, big or little paid the same, rifle or trap, so bear was on the table alot. My great uncle told me many times he would much prefer bear meat to deer (mutton to him). he said his mother would par-boil it, then slice it up and fry it. It's related to swine, so you have to cook it like you mean it, I'm thinking pork roast, ham, etc. I am anxious to try it.
Hopefully Erick took the time to take a pic.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

I ve had bear acouple of different times and it was always cooked in a slow cooker or done up in alot of BBQ sauce. It is probably one of those meats that you need to know how to cook it or your going to end up with something your dog wouldn't eat.
I like it both ways.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote