Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 09-18-2012, 06:14 AM   #1
snowmagic70

snowmagic70 is on a distinguished road
Default i keep missing!!why????

i recently upgraded myself to a new bow by bowtech.i had my old darton for about 10yrs.but my new bow i have no trouble hitting the target at 20 to 40 yards.from sitting in my stand also.perfect shots.but in the last 2 days i have 3 different bucks.some of which i have gotten more than one shot off.i shoot under then i make up the difference and shoot over.then i come home and shoot out of practice stand by house and hit the target.im wondering if i shoot with both eyes open or string hits arm guard or i have Buck fever and i never had a problem before?? i need help cause im ready to give UP.
snowmagic70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:26 AM   #2
dbdcougar
He Who Drops His Bow Arm

dbdcougar will become famous soon enough

Quite possible it's nerves. Make sure you are following through and not "peeking"....you may be dropping your bow arm trying to watch the arrow and that's why your first shot went low; then when you compensate by holding higher you of course shoot high. Don't know that's right, but it fits.
dbdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:04 AM   #3
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

Check your equipment, wear the same clothes during practise as your do for hunting. Check for a sleeve hitting the string, how about broadhead flight? If you not perfectly in tune your broadhead won't hit the same as your practise tips.

Last but not least, it sounds like it's gettin in your head alittle. Relax, take a deep breath, don't rush, pick a spot and execute your shot. The same shot that you've practised in your back yard thousands of times.

Let us know what you find.

To 3dshoots.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #4
snowmagic70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
Check your equipment, wear the same clothes during practise as your do for hunting. Check for a sleeve hitting the string, how about broadhead flight? If you not perfectly in tune your broadhead won't hit the same as your practise tips.

Last but not least, it sounds like it's gettin in your head alittle. Relax, take a deep breath, don't rush, pick a spot and execute your shot. The same shot that you've practised in your back yard thousands of times.

Let us know what you find.

To 3dshoots.
well do you think the angle of my shooting is steaper than when i practice at home.could that have anything to do with it.im so frustrated its hard to even focus on my log furniture business.im also shooting Rage 3 blade broadheads,i practiced with the extra head.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

Use a rangefinder? If not I'd pace off the distance of the missed buck from your tree and see if it was the distance you guessed it at when you shot at him. You've shot at home a bunch and are comfortable hitting your target, you know that distance. In the woods it is a different view. Different surroundings makes distance judgement a little tougher. And there is always (for me anyway) that feeling that he's going to get away so hurry up and shoot! NOT Take that deep breath and pick a spot.
On the bright side, at least you missed him clean. That's way better than hitting him in a bad like through a leg or something
Old 09-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #6
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmagic70 View Post
well do you think the angle of my shooting is steaper than when i practice at home.could that have anything to do with it.im so frustrated its hard to even focus on my log furniture business.im also shooting Rage 3 blade broadheads,i practiced with the extra head.
Oh yeah the angle could have lots to do with it.

If your hunting from a tree stand you need to practise from a tree stand, depending on your height most shots will come in high compaired to the same distance on the ground.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
snowmagic70

Default thank you

thanks for all the help.i ll let you all know how it goes tonite(if i didnt scare them all off)
Old 09-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #8
snowmagic70

Default 8 point

heres to all the people that helped.i got a nice 8pt tonite.not a wall hanger but its going to taste good,but i also shot 2in under the belly and hit the sweet spot.this is a new stand this year and didnt realize that the small grade to where the salt lick is and how the lower terrain and small drops in the terrain makes.i like my old stand better for shooting reasons.but im not sold on the Rage broad heads yet,1 of the 3 blades didnt move from o ring
Old 09-19-2012, 06:51 AM   #9
Gator eye

Congrats on the deer!!!

I just got some two blade rage broadheads, I hope I don't have the same problem. Do you use the shock collar they put in the package to hold the blades inplace?
Old 09-19-2012, 07:35 AM   #10
snowmagic70

Default rage

well my 3 blade rage only had the rubber o ring.my buddy got the new 2 blade and he has the lock collar,but he hasnt shot anything yet so we dont know whats going to happen
Old 09-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #11
rage-it

rage-it is on a distinguished road

I've got the rage two blade and the new chisel tip and i've never had a problem with any of them love them heads

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
rage-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #12
Gator eye

Are you using the shock collar?
Old 09-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #13
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

Salt Lick?