Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 05-14-2012, 07:28 AM   #1
Crimson

Crimson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Crimson
Default Books for Beginners!

So, having just purchased my first recurve which is also my first bow, I need a bit of help! I was hoping to purchase a few books about form, shooting, and mechanical knowledge to help me out since I don't have a teacher. I'd hate to practice all wrong in the beginning and have it bite me in the buns later.

Perfect practice makes perfect. Any advice you guys and gals could give would be appreciated as well.
Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
chip

chip is on a distinguished road

Douglas Engh - Archery Fundamentals

James Park - Mastering Archery

James Park - Mastering Bow Tuning

Steve Ruis & Claudia Stevenson Precision Archery

Those will give you a very good library from start to competition level.
YouTube has many videos from Archerytv that you will find helpful to watch. These are competitons and some howto's You can learn a lot by emulating the best archers in the world then find what suits you best and stick with that.

As far as advice goes; use a full length mirror, two would be even better watch your self and see the form flaws then correct them one at a time. Always use your back muscles (lats etc.) in the draw and learn to use them as you squeeze the shot with those same back muscles. I find that practicing with my back flat against a wall lets me know if I am doing it right (your scapulas should not overlap).

Last edited by chip; 05-22-2012 at 10:42 AM.
chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
montigre
Tidewater Member

montigre is on a distinguished road

Save the books for a little later--your time would be much better spent now joining a local club and shooting--you'll get great advice, a solid leg up, and like a few good friendships from fellow archers you'll meet through a club--especially if you become an active working member. Welcome to the sport!!
montigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:56 AM   #4
Crimson

Crimson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Crimson

Thanks a million for the responses! I'll look into those other books in the near future, but just picked up a copy of Shooting the Stickbow and I'm loving the advice it gives and all the detailed information!

Been a bit tight on time lately, but I'm definitely going to look into local clubs in my area (Sacramento, CA) because I'd love to shoot with some people! My room mates don't really go shooting with me too often, and it'd be nice to have some company.

Thanks again and loving the sport so far, and I don't see my interest dying away any time soon!
Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
chip

chip is on a distinguished road

There are bound to be at least two clubs in the greater Sacramento area. If you can't find them, try contacting yolo bowmen in Davis, CA. They should be able to point you to a closer club. I used to live in Sacramento a long time ago I don't know if the Sacramento Archers is still around though. But there is a Range on the American River Park grounds.
chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
Howlindawgs

Howlindawgs is on a distinguished road

Is there a book or website that gives info about, for example, the choice of shield cut vs parabolic vanes, 2" vs 3" vanes, feathers vs vanes, why you would use a Flu Flu arrow (and where did they come up with that name, it's hysterical!), choosing stabilizer length and weight, what a plunger button is for, you know, explaining the different types of equipment and what they are for? Up til now my biggest equipment issues were what type and model of running shoes to get, and whether to go with a handheld, belt-carried or camelbak water bottle! (25 years in, I think I've got those figured out!) It's all so confusing but all the stuff does look really cool.
Howlindawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
J.C.

J.C. is a jewel in the roughJ.C. is a jewel in the roughJ.C. is a jewel in the rough

try this one:

http://www.shootingthestickbow.com/about.html
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #8
Howlindawgs

Howlindawgs is on a distinguished road

Thanks! Looks very informative, i ordered a copy from LAS!
Howlindawgs is offline   Reply With Quote