Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 09-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
Howlindawgs

Howlindawgs is on a distinguished road
Default Fletching alignment?

Hi, this is probably a stupid question and I apologize. I am learning to shoot and at first I had a very simple youth longbow so I could see if I liked archery. The fletchings were always aligned so the "odd" color pointed towards me. Right now I'm using a Hoyt Excel recurve with the default arrow rest (which is wicked flimsy, what's up with that?) But the arrows I have don't line up that way when they are loaded onto the bow. Does it matter since I now have an arrow rest, where my old bow did not? Mr. Howlindawgs, who is teaching me to shoot a bow but uses a compound bow with a whisker biscuit, (so it doesn't matter for him) doesn't know. I love this bow, I'm not very strong or good yet but it is WICKED FUN!!! Thank you.
P.S. I think it's even helping my running cause I put in extra mileage chasing lost arrows around the yard

Last edited by Howlindawgs; 09-16-2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Just for kicks
Howlindawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

If your using feathers you can get away with almost any rest. They "give" better than vanes if there is a contact or spine issue. Recurves and longbows traditionally shoot odd vane out (to the left, for a righty) but I've seen little difference shooting off the shelf using the opposite, odd feather in. Some shoot odd feather up also. Arrow spine(stiffness) is a big factor in how the arrow clears the bow being shot w/out a release.
What rest are you using?
I think if the arrow spine is in the ballpark it won't make much difference as long as YOU are consistant.
Mr so-and-so's buiscut is suppose to be shot odd vane up if his buiscut is one of the newer ones with dark wiskers under the arrow.

Last edited by red44; 09-17-2012 at 08:58 PM.
red44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
Howlindawgs

Thanks! I will pass it on to "Mr. Howlindawgs"
I was using the default rest that came with the bow but it is very flimsy so I just replaced it with a metal one that looks a little like a paper clip. The pro at the store I got the bow from managed to rearrange the notches so the odd feather points out but I don't see a ton of difference yet because I'm not very accurate yet because I have to build up my arm strength so my "pushing" arm (right arm for me, I'm one of those wierdo southpaws) doesn't shake!!
Thank you for your patience with a n00b
Old 09-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #4
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

The original whisker buiscuts had the same fibers all the way oround and he would be correct that it did'nt matter how you oriented the fletching. The newer ones have dark stiffer fibers to support the weight of the arrow at rest and the vanes should oriented to avoid going through that part, so odd fletch up.
Sounds like you have a wire rest. Are you using a plunger button with it or is it one that has the metalic bump-out on the side? Either works fine.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
Howlindawgs

I guess I have a bump-out, it looks like a paper clip lying flat and angled out. I'm afraid I don't know what a plunger button is...(blush) I have a different one ordered though, with this one the vane still drags along the riser and it deflects the arrow to the left. I've just about figured out how to correct for it though
Old 09-21-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
red44

Arrows that are too weak, or too stiff can brush or bounce off the riser (youtube archers paradox) They can really get noodle like if too weak . Stiff arrows (for a righty)tend to hit left of where you aim or expect, and can slam the riser. What arrows and lenth are you using? And what fix are you talking about.
My appaulogies, welcome to 3dshoots to you and Mr Howlindawgs.Are the leaves turning up there already? (I have family in Brandon) Just the swamp (small leaf) maples here.

Last edited by red44; 09-21-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:59 PM   #7
Howlindawgs

Thanks! I have 28" carbon express arrows with practice tips and 3" vanes. The pro shop guy suggested a rest that lifts the arrow a little to prevent the vane from dragging like that. I can't remember the name but it has a v shape in it.
Leaves aren't doing much yet; high season is usually early Oct. but who knows with the crazy weather we've had. Brandon is about 20 minutes from me!
P.s. I've seen slo-mo video of arrows that must have been too weak. They were really wiggly. It was very funny to see what they did. I don't think all of them do that though

Last edited by Howlindawgs; 09-21-2012 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 10-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #8
red44

Peel and stick rest? or is it a bolt-on? The excel being a modern past center riser might require more than a "stick-on" with just the bump. You may need a plunger with that stick-on to get the arrow out away from the riser or a bolt-on rest with that amount of adjustment.
I'm a righty, and if I used a stick-on w/out a plunger on one of my past center-cut modern risers I would be always hitting way right and it would be a hassle to tune. Modern riser/modern rest. Old straight cut riser/stick-on alone might work. Interested in what your results are.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
red44

BTW, What are your specs? Easy now, I'm talking Draw lenth, Bow limb poundage, and just what carbon express arrows? (should be some numbers on them)
Old 10-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #10
Howlindawgs

I have a 23" riser with 25# draw weight. Arrows are 28" Carbon Force "Desperado", I had some of them re-fletched with 3" feathers just to see what that would do. I think they have 75 grain tips on them. Just today got a AAE "Free Flyte" arrow rest that has greatly decreased deflection but STILL pulling left. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong w/o realizing it or if I need arrows with more spine. Thanks!
Old 10-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #11
red44

A couple of pacs of fieldpoints should tell you something. Cheaply.
I can't find anything on actuall spine rating on the carbon force desperados, all of the sites listing them just have them as a youth arrow. They all list them as you have, with 75 grain points. 100 and 125 grain points are quite common and available about everywhere. I'd get a pac of each and see if helps brings impact to the right. You can get points up to 300 grains from a couple vendors. Typically "youth" arrows suffice from a compound using a release but a finger shooter has to deal with that archers paradox so spine is much more important. Set that rest up so when you look from behind the bow the arrow point is slighly left of the string (if your a righty). An arrow too week will want you to move the rest left, an arrow too stiff will want you to move it to the right.
Sounds like you had a rest similar to the Cavalier 300 (paper-clip).
The free-flyte uses a spring steel side blade that acts as a plunger. (to absorbe that archers paradox side to side action.) If anything, based on your results, you want an arrow with less spine (less stiffness). Adding point weight weakens spine. Think out it this way. If you had piece of wire you could push a feather accross a table, but try to push a cemet block with that same piece of wire and that wire will bend alot.. Your arrow is pushing a weight - the point. The heavier the point the more the shaft will bend. It needs to bend some, but not too much, too keep the center of the shaft on line after doing it's snake dance.Did you youtube archers paradox?

Last edited by red44; 10-16-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #12
red44

Do you two do any hunting? Our bowseason opened monday.
Did you feel the little earthquake from Maine this evening?
Old 10-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #13
Howlindawgs

My husband hunts but I like target shooting, if I ever get halfway decent would like to compete in a tournament. Had a lesson a few days ago and he did some corrections to my form which hopefully will make me a little more accurate once I get used to it (it's almost like starting From scratch, learning new form!)
I was in a car and didn't fell the earthquake although some of my friends did. Now we're supposed to get this "Frankenstorm" they're forecasting next week. Jeez, Vermont isn't supposed to get earthquakes and hurricanes!!