Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

View Poll Results: When do you change your stands?
Change them every 5 years 1 10.00%
Change every 10 years 0 0%
Change them when they look worn 8 80.00%
Wait intil I fall out of the tree 1 10.00%
Who cares, all I do is hunt for fish. Deer hunting is for land lovers 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough
Default Tree stands

Sitting in my stand last weekend staring at the squirrels and I noticed the cables on my tree stand looked alittle rusty.

HUMMM...so this gets me thinking about this stand. I try to remember when I purchased this stand and how long it's been in this tree? I look at the back and see the chain is dug into the tree, the lower strap has some serious pressure on it, so I knew that stand has been in the tree for quite a long time. I figure that I must of got that stand right around 1995 or so. So that thing has been hanging around in a tree (not the same tree) for around 17 years. Now me being the cheap skate I am I know it was a cheap stand and on sale stand as it was. So I wonder......What is the usefull lifespan of a tree stand? I got quite a few spread out through our woods and I'm thinking it might be time to start replacing them.

What do you do? Change them out ever so often or wait intil you fall out of the tree before replacing them?
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
OneMustFall

OneMustFall is on a distinguished road

I have a few store bought ones i take down after season but i have some ones made by a school ag department that are all one piece and very heavy.I leave them up year round,i hunt hogs from them also and just change out straps as needed....
Old 10-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
duanelane

duanelane will become famous soon enough

My stands seem to not like the tree i put them in..... they dont leave me an adress or directions to their new spot....... dont matter if its public or private so ive never got a chance to wear one out.....just use my double bull any more.
duanelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

That sucks Duane. I hate thieves.
I've started replacing a few this year that sound like Gators. I think they've been out there about 8 or 10 years. (I still have a bunch with chains, LOL) Last couple of seasons I've been tenative when stepping out on them. I had some Cabelas points so I grabbed a few new Gorrilas to replace them. I hate spending much on them but at least a few of them are on a friends property so hopefully they will stick around. Before he bought the property I would just buy what was on sale at wallyworld because I have had a few walk off. I would not expect long life from cheap stands, those cables don't give you any warning. Replace the cables, or add homemade cables to the existing ones, or just replace the stand. Not worth a fall. Interesting when you've had stands a long time how they change. I have a few older gorrilla's that are chain on's. I would prefer they still had that. I wish the cables were chains too. I feel a couple rebuilds coming...
I voted replace every 5, if there out there year round. Bring them home and go through them.

Last edited by red44; 10-09-2012 at 09:19 PM.
red44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

I think at the end of this year they are going to come down and I'm gonna see what I can do to replace the cables or just pitch the stands and get some new ones.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:42 AM   #6
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust

wilkersonhunter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
I think at the end of this year they are going to come down and I'm gonna see what I can do to replace the cables or just pitch the stands and get some new ones.
thats what i need to do with about half of mine. but i dont hunt them too often since ive bought a lone wolf sit and climb stand. best $400 investment ive made in hunting.
[/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff
wilkersonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:09 AM   #7
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

I just rebuilt 3 over the weekend. Could'nt get replacement cables, so I used vinyl coated chain. New grade 8 nuts/bolts, a little sanding here and there, and new coat camo paint. Cost about $20 per stand for the hardware. I had the paint. These were 10 year old +/- Hunter's View stands. These will be put out on public land, so if I lose them, I'm not out much.

Last edited by red44; 10-22-2012 at 07:12 AM.
red44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:14 AM   #8
Gator eye

I like the idea of replacing the cable with chain.

That will work better than what I had planned on doing.

Thanks