Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 02-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
Lamps3

Lamps3 is on a distinguished road
Default Inserts Glue for our Arrows

Who makes the Best Glue? I purchase Insert Iron at Bass Pro! Anyone know if this is a Good Glue or not?
Lamps3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:03 AM   #2
Westy
Aussie Member

Westy has a spectacular aura aboutWesty has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps3 View Post
Who makes the Best Glue? I purchase Insert Iron at Bass Pro! Anyone know if this is a Good Glue or not?
Yep this stuff is A.O.K we use it all the time !!!!We have to keep it in the fridge down under though to stop it going off in the heat!!!!

Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

I still like hot melt glue.

It holds well and I can always pull the insert if I need to.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
Westy
Aussie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post

Obviously you don't use the butts at my club

Old 02-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
longcut36

longcut36 has a spectacular aura aboutlongcut36 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

what he said. never had a insert come out using hot melt.

sent using my keyboard and two fingers
longcut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Brown Hornet

Brown Hornet will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
Obviously you don't use the butts at my club
Or maybe he just knows how to put points in....

If you know what your doing hotmelt points aren't going to pull before anything else will. The last time I lost a point with hotmelt....never.

I remember shooting a FITA match a few years ago, those matts are the worst. Everyone that was shooting was loosing points but me and two of my buddies that also use hotmelt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brown Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
Lamps3

Got it. Hot melt and Insert Iron. Put in fridge to keep from going off. Good Ideas Thanks for the info!
Old 02-21-2012, 06:04 AM   #8
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust

wilkersonhunter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by longcut36 View Post
what he said. never had a insert come out using hot melt.
have you ever shot a old mckenzie target in cold weather?
[/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff
wilkersonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:25 AM   #9
Renegade88

Renegade88 is on a distinguished road

I agree with Gator. I like hot melt the best. Although, I have had points pull out using all types of glue. I just chalk it up to operator error
Renegade88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:32 AM   #10
dbdcougar
He Who Drops His Bow Arm

dbdcougar will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade88 View Post
I agree with Gator. I like hot melt the best. Although, I have had points pull out using all types of glue. I just chalk it up to operator error
Same here.
dbdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #11
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkersonhunter View Post
have you ever shot a old mckenzie target in cold weather?

I live in Michigan.....what do you think.

If you don't clean the inside of the arrow first you might loose one but I ve never had a problem and I ve shot 3d rounds in a blizzard where we had to wait for a break in the snow cause we couldn't see the white goat to make a shot.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:52 AM   #12
jwelectric

jwelectric is on a distinguished road

I have never lost a tip either.

I will use an ax, hammer and chisel, pocket knife or whatever I have available to dig that tip out of that tree or root or whatever my “dead eye” was aiming at when I busted my arrow.

I also use hot glue to hold in my inserts or should I say my bow shop does. I haven’t been able to keep an arrow long enough to reinstall anything.

By the way, how do you all keep those trees from jumping in front of your arrows? I declare I had a pine tree root jump up out of the ground to catch a brand new carbon express 250 last week.
I started shooting in the barn but the walls seem to move inward every time I shoot. I haven’t figured out how the trusses dip down to catch my arrow without hitting me in the head.

There must be something I am doing wrong but I just can’t figure out what. My grandson tells me I need to keep my eyes open but I just can stand to watch that high dollar arrow get caught by something like they seem to be doing so I just don’t watch.
jwelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #13
Gator eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwelectric View Post

I will use an ax, hammer and chisel, pocket knife or whatever I have available to dig that tip out of that tree or root or whatever my “dead eye” was aiming at when I busted my arrow.

I also use hot glue to hold in my inserts or should I say my bow shop does. I haven’t been able to keep an arrow long enough to reinstall anything.

By the way, how do you all keep those trees from jumping in front of your arrows? I declare I had a pine tree root jump up out of the ground to catch a brand new carbon express 250 last week.
I started shooting in the barn but the walls seem to move inward every time I shoot. I haven’t figured out how the trusses dip down to catch my arrow without hitting me in the head.

There must be something I am doing wrong but I just can’t figure out what. My grandson tells me I need to keep my eyes open but I just can stand to watch that high dollar arrow get caught by something like they seem to be doing so I just don’t watch.

Ive heard that Carpy also has the same problem with his basement walls.
You don't live in Iowa do you????
Old 02-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #14
jwelectric

No I live in the center of NC but thanks for giving me a chance to work on my post count
Old 02-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #15
Renegade88

Quote:
No I live in the center of NC but thanks for giving me a chance to work on my post count
Near the center of NC wouldn't be around Sanford would it?
Old 02-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #16
jwelectric

Quote:
Near the center of NC wouldn't be around Sanford would it?
Asheboro about 5 miles from the Zoo.
The wife won’t let me take my bow with me when we go to the Zoo. She keeps reminding me of my rabbit hunt when I got kicked out of the pet store.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #17
Renegade88

Quote:
The wife won’t let me take my bow with me when we go to the Zoo. She keeps reminding me of my rabbit hunt when I got kicked out of the pet store.
Asheboro has some nice roads around it. Ride that way often. Like to have lunch at the K&W

I think you're wife may be right about the bow at the zoo. The safari would be fun but, the long vacation and the big fines would really kill the mood.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #18
jwelectric

I work part time just up the street from K&W. I am a part time electrical instructor at Randolph Community College. I did electrical contracting for more years than I can count thus the user name the same as on my electrical license, JW Electric. Use it for everything simply because I can remember it as I have been using that handle for more than 40 years.

PS watching that post count going up
Old 02-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #19
Gator eye

Quote:

Sometime when I have more time I'll tell you the story of West-T first bow hunt.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #20
Westy
Aussie Member

Quote:
I like this guy!!!!What happened when you told them you only wanted the rabbits to attract the tigers at the Zoo?????

Old 02-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #21
Westy
Aussie Member

Quote:
Sometime when I have more time I'll tell you the story of West-T first bow hunt.
Yerr Yerr I'll get you yet!!!!! your a skinny bugger and man your fast but I've mounted a secret tree stand on your running trail,see you at 5.00 am tommorow?????:wel come:

Old 02-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #22
Lamps3

Quote:

Looks like I need to start carrying a knife to dig out some of the arrows my son and I put into them there trees. My son even bounces them off 2 at a time by ricocheting them. Was COOL to watch not so good on the arrow. Broke the knock end on 2 of my arrows doing that. So now how do I fix it with out cutting the arrow shorter and getting into the fletching? Just use insert glue and glue the knock in there?

Respectfully, Rickey
Old 02-25-2012, 06:51 AM   #23
Hoyt1945

Hoyt1945 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Hornet View Post
Or maybe he just knows how to put points in....

If you know what your doing hotmelt points aren't going to pull before anything else will. The last time I lost a point with hotmelt....never.

I remember shooting a FITA match a few years ago, those matts are the worst. Everyone that was shooting was loosing points but me and two of my buddies that also use hotmelt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with BH. I use to use epoxy and would have some inserts to pull out. I switched to low temp hot melt and never have inserts to pull out.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:12 AM   #24
Lamps3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt1945 View Post
I agree with BH. I use to use epoxy and would have some inserts to pull out. I switched to low temp hot melt and never have inserts to pull out.

Where can you buy Low Temp Hot Melt at? I have access to Cabelas and Bass Pro. I dont remember seeing Hot Melt at Bass Pro though. Or is there some online place to get a good deal at?
Old 02-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #25
Renegade88

Quote:
Where can you buy Low Temp Hot Melt at? I have access to Cabelas and Bass Pro. I dont remember seeing Hot Melt at Bass Pro though. Or is there some online place to get a good deal at?
Here you go........ http://www.basspro.com/Bohning-Ferr-...0212209/145840
Old 02-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #26
Lamps3

Quote:
After reading the reviews on Bass Pro website I dont know if this insert glue is going to work in Hot weather. Seems they start trying to come out when it is near a hundred degrees. As you well know last summer it got over a hundred several times here in Missouri. Thank You for the link on the Bass Pro website Renegade88.

Respectfully, Rickey
Old 02-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #27
Renegade88

You're very welcome.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #28
Westy
Aussie Member

Quote:
After reading the reviews on Bass Pro website I dont know if this insert glue is going to work in Hot weather. Seems they start trying to come out when it is near a hundred degrees. As you well know last summer it got over a hundred several times here in Missouri. Thank You for the link on the Bass Pro website Renegade88.

Respectfully, Rickey
As the king of hot weather nothing to be over 100deg in summer here we use anything except hot melt glues!!!Might be great in Michigan or iowa but it's as useless as well????? Here in the hard lands of Australia!!!!! Use the iron insert glue and live with the loss of a few tips !!!!

Old 02-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #29
Lamps3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
As the king of hot weather nothing to be over 100deg in summer here we use anything except hot melt glues!!!Might be great in Michigan or iowa but it's as useless as well????? Here in the hard lands of Australia!!!!! Use the iron insert glue and live with the loss of a few tips !!!!
Nice to hear from you guys down in Australia. Went there when I was in the US Navy many years ago. Visited Perth and Fremantle. I will go with the Insert Iron glue as you suggest. Thanks for the Information!

Respectfully, Rickey
Old 03-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #30
RABDIVER

RABDIVER is on a distinguished road
Default sticky stuff

Hi Guys, I am relatively new to the sport but do shoot 3x wkly.=600-700 arrows wkly. The only times I had to remove an insert (with heat) was when I passed through a shot up area of the backstop and hit the concrete block wall behind it. Cut off an inch of shaft,I left the arrow a little long from the start, clean the inside and re glue insert. Super Glue! Is there some reason I shouldn't be using this $1.00 a tube product?
RABDIVER is offline   Reply With Quote