Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 06-07-2004, 05:34 PM   #1
glenny

glenny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to glenny
Default holding steady and punching problems

Shooting average scores lately,I seem to find myself getting very frustrated and discusted with my ability to hold steady on the bullseye.I also fire off a shot when not even on the center,and I punch the trigger instead of squeezing or putting tention on it.I shoot better with pins and a caliper than with my target setup.I just am getting started by getting serious and find it really hard to stay in this realm of guys who outshoot me everytime I go to a course.
I know I am a very excellent shot and I use to have my day where noone could outshoot me,but for the last 6 months even with the bomb setup on my bow I struggle to place in the middle.This scope comp thing is almost for the birds I feel,but I guess I can't give up,I just am in a real mental rut or phase of some sort,any suggestions on mental positive shooting?
glenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 06:07 AM   #2
Jefro

Jefro is on a distinguished road

First of all what set up are you shooting? (poundage, pins, long or short stabilizer ect.) Second. What are you shooting at? 3-D, field, indoor paper.

As far as not being able to hold steady, is your bow well balanced? Or are you maybe holding to much weight? It may even be in your draw lenght.

Now the punching thing. It sounds as though you may have a little target panic.(when the pin gets on the target everything goes wrong). You may want to start shooting at 5-10 yards. Shoot at a back stop without a target face on it. Don't aim, just work on squeezing the release, not punching. As you feel you are working this out. Try putting a target or small spot on the back stop (still at 10 yards) and work on aiming and squeezing at the same time. Keep working your way back. It may take some time. Don't be in a hurry. It will take some time to train your mind and muscles to do the right thing.

Hope this helps. This just my opinion. Jeff
Jefro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 07:55 AM   #3
glenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefro
First of all what set up are you shooting? (poundage, pins, long or short stabilizer ect.) Second. What are you shooting at? 3-D, field, indoor paper.

As far as not being able to hold steady, is your bow well balanced? Or are you maybe holding to much weight? It may even be in your draw lenght.

Now the punching thing. It sounds as though you may have a little target panic.(when the pin gets on the target everything goes wrong). You may want to start shooting at 5-10 yards. Shoot at a back stop without a target face on it. Don't aim, just work on squeezing the release, not punching. As you feel you are working this out. Try putting a target or small spot on the back stop (still at 10 yards) and work on aiming and squeezing at the same time. Keep working your way back. It may take some time. Don't be in a hurry. It will take some time to train your mind and muscles to do the right thing.

Hope this helps. This just my opinion. Jeff
Jeff,
Well,understanding the setup isn't the situation.
I will let you know last night I lit it up,it's just a frustration mental thing.
I shoot a ovaion with winners choice,29"draw at 61 lbs.,trophy taker rest,extreme scope with .019 in a 4x,or 6x I switch over occasionally,all doinkerD2 stabilizers,2 8"v-bar setupw/dawgs,30"on front,suppresion,blackhawk speed23's w/95 nibs,2"duravanes,getting 285F.P.S.Releases are King George extreme,and carter solution3.
What are you shooting?
I noticed by shooting the backtention,on the same releases,and shortening up the drawlength a 1/4",everything is working a little better,we will see what happens out at 50 and 80.
I shoot both,3d and feild.
I shoot alot and have a few proshooters I know who shoot a classic with a 3x,up pin,no clarifier,and they love it cause if it rains,they can keep shooting/visual problems seeing fiber no longer a adjusting problem.Started shooting with both eyes instead of one as well,shot that way for years...
If I bought another scope,the one I think I would switch to is that or the sureloc.
Getting use to the scope and windage is a real hard thing for me,I think it's like teaching a 15 year old coondog to rollover and play dead.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:07 PM   #4
Jefro

Jefro is on a distinguished road

Glenny-

The reason I asked about your set up was you may need to balance your bow a little better. I have found ( personally) that less tip weight and more even weight has helped a lot.

Glad to hear you shot well. A little less draw lenght can really improve your holding.

FYI: my set up. Hoyt Ultra-tec XT3000 limbs,cam 1/2, 29 1/4 draw @ 60lbs.
Shooting an Easton Fatboy (400) with 100gr tip. 1.8 duravanes @ 285 fps.
28" Vibracheck (carbon) with 8" carbon side bar.Trophy Taker rest. Sureloc sight with Classic 3 X lens with the .10 fiber down pin. Release is a Carter Target 4 with heavy springs.

It sounds as though you are doing just fine. Hope the shooting keeps getting better. I am the same as you, with something new to learn everyday. Good luck and good shooting. Jeff
Jefro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 06:28 PM   #5
glenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefro
Glenny-

The reason I asked about your set up was you may need to balance your bow a little better. I have found ( personally) that less tip weight and more even weight has helped a lot.

Glad to hear you shot well. A little less draw lenght can really improve your holding.

FYI: my set up. Hoyt Ultra-tec XT3000 limbs,cam 1/2, 29 1/4 draw @ 60lbs.
Shooting an Easton Fatboy (400) with 100gr tip. 1.8 duravanes @ 285 fps.
28" Vibracheck (carbon) with 8" carbon side bar.Trophy Taker rest. Sureloc sight with Classic 3 X lens with the .10 fiber down pin. Release is a Carter Target 4 with heavy springs.

It sounds as though you are doing just fine. Hope the shooting keeps getting better. I am the same as you, with something new to learn everyday. Good luck and good shooting. Jeff
Jeff,
Sounds like a real nice setup,the classic scope w/3x&up pin seems to be a hot ticket I hear.Have you shot the ultra-elite or pro-elite yet?Nice rigs.
Shot today in the worst mosquitos I have ever seen in Illinios ever,shot a 260 in feild,had them in my eyes and in my mouth,terrirising my backtention muscles,ah does it really make me feel good just to shoot that.VERY,VERY,VERY BAD............
Old 06-11-2004, 08:40 PM   #6
Pinky

Pinky is on a distinguished road

THX Jeff for this post.

I am suffering from the target panic thing. I have been away from 3-D competion for several years, 12 to be exact. Getting back into the groove has been a struggle. I do fine with my hunting bow....hunting. But, I am very inconsistant with my target rig in a shoot. For example, I shot 6 12's and 5 5's at the last shoot I attended.

Well, long story short, the owner of our new bow shop in Statesville, NC told me how to fix my problems. His advice is along the same lines as yours. He told me to shoot 50 arrows a day for five days at blank target at 5 yards with my eyes closed. He insisted that I not shoot at any targets. Just the practice bales as prescribed. He told me to focus on nothing but smoothly launching each arrow. I plan to do this next week.

Your opinion supports his. I bet I will see an improvement in my shooting.

THX Again
Old 06-15-2004, 11:23 PM   #7
boomhower

boomhower is on a distinguished road
Talking target panic

hello guys about 2 mounths ago i had it bad i coundnt hardly hit a target .then i started blind bailing with no sight and eyes closed . until i could do it perfect every time that was with a chappy boss and still had a hard time with missfires then i started shooting a scott longhorn and my scores jumped real high . i gess i just dont play well with triggers . have you guys shot much with a pure backtension it takes time and perfect practice to over come target panic . and some thing you cant buy is a high x count
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 07:22 PM   #8
bjcrawfo

bjcrawfo is on a distinguished road

RELAX... That should help you..
bjcrawfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 08:20 PM   #9
glenny

Default getting better and better

I am changing stuff up,going with a 3x,razorfire up pin,and no or little clarifier.
It's nice to change things and make them work.I can't afford to try it all,but it sure does help to change the draw.Went to 65% letoff as well,was at 80.
Shot backtention the other night and got perty hot.Gotta love it when you can feel that burning between your shoulderblades.AHHHHHHH.