Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 01-30-2007, 01:44 PM   #1
QDAWG44

QDAWG44 is on a distinguished road
Default any thoughts on these products

hey everyone, I will be trying out a new broadhead/arrow combination this year and I would appreciate some insight from some fellow hunters instead of magazine ads !!! thanks how do you feel about- Easton axis arrows compared to Gold Tip pro hunter, and I am seriosly thinking about using American Broadhead company's Sonic pro 100's anyone out there with a review?????? oh I shoot a Mathews outback (plenty of speed)
QDAWG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:57 PM   #2
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDAWG44 View Post
hey everyone, I will be trying out a new broadhead/arrow combination this year and I would appreciate some insight from some fellow hunters instead of magazine ads !!! thanks how do you feel about- Easton axis arrows compared to Gold Tip pro hunter, and I am seriosly thinking about using American Broadhead company's Sonic pro 100's anyone out there with a review?????? oh I shoot a Mathews outback (plenty of speed)
ask Dredly I think he uses them......

oh and welcome.....
Old 01-30-2007, 02:46 PM   #3
Dredly
Site Guru

Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly

they are junk! Its a horrible horrible design, poor cutting diamater, poor quality.

Overall its just a poor gimmicky broadhead. The idea of using 3 flimsy blades that are all seperate and thinking that it will go through solid bone without mushrooming is just dumb. They are great for tree-rats. I will never shoot at another deer with one.

I strongly encourage using Muzzy broadheads. If you perfer a 4 blade BH they now have one of these as well. (MX-4).

As for the arrows, I use Gold Tip Pro's with great results. I really like my gold tip arrows and have recovered some that I thought were gonners for sure. I've never used the Easton arrows you mentioned
Old 01-30-2007, 03:02 PM   #4
jcmorgan31
Prodigal Son

jcmorgan31 will become famous soon enoughjcmorgan31 will become famous soon enough

I used Easton ST Epic arrows with Sonic Pros on them this year. I shot 2 deer with this combination. The arrows with the Sonics flew great. The grouped well and were right on target. After the shot was a different story. Both deer destroyed the broadheads. Not the blade, but the actual broad heads. They could not be reused. The tips mushroomed upon impact and rendered the entire broadhead un-usable. I will be trying something else next year. $10 a piece is too much for disposable broadheads......
Old 01-30-2007, 04:22 PM   #5
bullspotter

bullspotter is on a distinguished road

Lots of guys around here use the axis arrows, and seem to likem. I like accs for hunting, they are spendy but i think their one of the toughest their is when it comes to hard hits, Some place on this site i have a pic of one i shot into a concreat block at 70 yards, i know that we dont hunt concreat but its nice to know it wont blow into 4 or 5 pcs like the carbon arrow i shot after it....i am a huge fan of the G5 b-52 heads...... They are tough, and no blades to fall out or break, and a simple head to sharpen with the sportsmans sharpener. Have taken 3 deer and a elk so far with them, i will shoot them for years to come....
bullspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:31 PM   #6
mdewitt71

mdewitt71 is on a distinguished road

I shot the heads into foam targets DEAD ON with my fiels tips.
Then for "giggles" I shoot a Empty soda can......
You would not believe the damage....and not to the soda can, I mean the broadhead.
I too will tell ya, they were junk.

I have since been told the new blades are suppose to be thicker.
I do have a new head sent to me after the Company after they seen a previous post on another forum I did saying, I thought they were weak.
To be honust it looks the same, but I have not tried it yet.
Strother Archery- SR-71 28.5"/65lbs. & 370gr. = 303 FPS
mdewitt71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:03 PM   #7
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdewitt71 View Post
I shot the heads into foam targets DEAD ON with my fiels tips.
Then for "giggles" I shoot a Empty soda can......
You would not believe the damage....and not to the soda can, I mean the broadhead.
I too will tell ya, they were junk.

I have since been told the new blades are suppose to be thicker.
I do have a new head sent to me after the Company after they seen a previous post on another forum I did saying, I thought they were weak.
To be honust it looks the same, but I have not tried it yet.
hey if you talk bad about them long enough you may get a whole hunting season worth of free heads......
Old 01-30-2007, 10:10 PM   #8
justiadak

justiadak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
hey if you talk bad about them long enough you may get a whole hunting season worth of free heads......
I hunt with a mathews LX epic arrows and muzzy broad heads .over the years I have hunted with 10 different bows ,more arrows than I like to think about and only one broad head.I don't think they can get any better than muzzy.
justiadak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:16 PM   #9
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justiadak View Post
I hunt with a mathews LX epic arrows and muzzy broad heads .over the years I have hunted with 10 different bows ,more arrows than I like to think about and only one broad head.I don't think they can get any better than muzzy.
nuff said.......
Old 01-30-2007, 10:39 PM   #10
STRO
get'n rid of target panic

STRO is on a distinguished road

I have never shot the muzzies but i have never heard anything bad about them. I have been using the gold tip pro hunters and are very happy with them. I beilieve gold tip makes great arrows. I don't think I'll try those broadheads from the American Broadhead company, you guys' opinions don't sound good.

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor
STRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:09 AM   #11
QDAWG44

QDAWG44 is on a distinguished road

thanks boys....... keep the useful insight comin The last few seasons I have shot beman ics hunters and Wasp jak-hammer mechanicals, but lately I havent gotten the penatration that I would like. Kill shots none the less but I miss having complete pass throughs like I did when they use to make those skinny shafted carbontech arrows with the outsert. I think its a done deal with goung with a fixed blade such as muzzy's
QDAWG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:32 AM   #12
STRO
get'n rid of target panic

STRO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
thanks boys....... keep the useful insight comin The last few seasons I have shot beman ics hunters and Wasp jak-hammer mechanicals, but lately I havent gotten the penatration that I would like. Kill shots none the less but I miss having complete pass throughs like I did when they use to make those skinny shafted carbontech arrows with the outsert. I think its a done deal with goung with a fixed blade such as muzzy's
QDAWG44, I shot 5 deer this past season with the new rage three blade expandles and had pass throughs with every hit. If you're looking for complete pass throughs and amazing holes you can't go wrong with the rages. They are also very tough, I did not break any of them, just bent a few blades. I put some replacement blades on them and they are like new again. One head actually went through two deer and a coyote and is still in great shape. I have heard nothing bad about muzzy's, however, but you're going to get bigger holes with the rage.

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor
STRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 02:28 PM   #13
TnRidge

TnRidge is on a distinguished road

I have tested Sonic broadheads and was not impressed with the lack of durability . I used Slick Tricks with excellent results on game last year ,and was very impressed with the accuracy and durability .
I was able to re-sharpen the blades after using them on deer .

Last edited by TnRidge; 02-04-2007 at 02:31 PM.
TnRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:28 PM   #14
HYCREST3DARCHERY
MathewsMan

HYCREST3DARCHERY is on a distinguished road

rage 2 blades are awesome!!! complete pass threws, huge entry holes and blood trails that are just sick!!!! muzzy's might b good but the RAGE is better

Last edited by HYCREST3DARCHERY; 04-21-2008 at 01:33 PM.
HYCREST3DARCHERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:34 AM   #15
Tenspot

Tenspot is on a distinguished road

I have been using the Gold TIps with Rocky Snypers for deer and gold tips with Rockey Hammerheads for Turkey for several years now, very happy.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:56 AM   #16
J.Blay

J.Blay is on a distinguished road

I use carbon express terminator light selects and 100 grain atom razor wire broadheads. I shoot 260 fps at 400 grain total arrow weight. There are tougher shafts out there, but I only pay 70.00 per doz. All three deer shot with this combination were complete pass throughs, even the one that hit the far side front leg bone. One razor wire was bent on the leg hit, but none of the tips were even dulled as they are titanium. One had a fair blood trail as I only got one lung, and the other two had wide and heavy blood trails and only ran 20 and 30 yards each. I no longer re-tune for these broadheads as arrowdynamic solutions guarentees exact same impact point as target tips or your money back.
J.Blay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:40 PM   #17
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Muzzy are quality replacement blade heads for sure. I use Wasps SST myself, which I think are comparable. The fellow who mentioned the G5 B52's, unfortunateley they are no longer being made. I think either the GT hunters or Axis are fine, but as you've read the broadhead choice is NOT sonics. I shoot about the same speed mathews as you, in a 60lbs model. I've had good results with Wasps, G5 Montecs, Magnus Snuffer SS (all are fixed) RM Snypers and Rocket steelheads (both are mechanicals). G5 strikers are another good replacement blade head, as are just about anything from Rocky Mountain.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:39 PM   #18
kbohunt
are u a fat boy?

kbohunt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kbohunt
Default ha

I agree Muzzy makes the best and hardest hitting broadhead out there
For a fixed blade.
The size of the hole is why i dont use them, i use mechinicals
I like that huge blood trail from a broad head that opens up 2 inches
The Rocket sidewinder or the pse-brute 100 which is a copy-cat (but tougher made than the rocket)
shafts ive tryed them all and have been useing the Beman Ics hunter 400's for about the last 6 years...no problems in this combo

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
Arrows..beman ICS hunter
SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
FBSA-MEMBER
Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A
kbohunt is offline   Reply With Quote