Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum
 

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2007, 10:31 AM   #1
Ronhop
RIP
 
Ronhop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rock Island, IL
Posts: 3,967
Ronhop is on a distinguished road
Default Single pin target sight

I'm signing up for an indoor 5 spot league that starts the first week of March.
I want to buy a single pin target sight. I used to have a Cobra Electra-Slide sight but I sold it to one of the members on this site. That sight would have been decent for what I want but I do want to have a longer extension. I have a Trophy Ridge Guide Series on my Allegiance that has the dovetail mount. I like the longer extension of the dovetail mount. I can center the pin guard right in my peep. Awsome view the way I have it set up.

It looks like you can spend $50 or $500+.

I don't want to spend a fortune but I do want something that's serviceable and strong.

Any suggestions that fit into a 'good value' kind of model ? A couple of hundered bucks max maybe ?

Thanks,

Ron
Ronhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:38 AM   #2
Dredly
Site Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Saylorsburg PA
Posts: 4,358
Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly
Default

I would suggest a scope... I don't know if you've seen the new targets w/ the babyX's but they are about the size of a dime... try seeing that at 20 yards!

Sureloc makes an excellent product and you can find the full setup w/ 4x scope for 150 - 200 (if that) on the classifieds.

you MAY want to check with the shop as well. sometimes they will limit how far out your sight can be from the riser for Hunter or Open classes.

generally speaking the longer the extension the better it will be for spots (to an extent) To demonstrate why hold up a pen about 1 foot infront of your face and line it up on something like you are using it as a pin. now move it to 2 feet... notice how much of the target was covered before and is now viewable?

the difference between seeing an X and shooting at the center of the target could be 3 - 4 inches of extension.
__________________
No I'm not dead
Dredly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:47 AM   #3
Ronhop
RIP
 
Ronhop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rock Island, IL
Posts: 3,967
Ronhop is on a distinguished road
Default

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to drop a ton of cash.

Good idea(s). Thanks.

I've never done indoor target shooting in a league before but I think I would enjoy it. The place I'm going to shoot at is also pretty new maybe <2 years old... They are much more of an indoor/outdoor range than a 'pro shop'. They carry basic stuff like cable slides, release rope, a few releases, string wax, nocks, points, etc... They also buy/sell used bows.

I think the leagues are very informal and not 'sanctioned' by anyone but I'll have to ask for the rules anway. That was a good point and I didn't think of that.

When my group goes 3D shooting we ignore the rules and don't turn in our score cards. We all use hunting setups and shoot from the open class stakes unless they are un-realistic in distance or location relative to the target, then we make up our own location for that particular target. People think we're goofy and sometimes give us grief but it prepares us for hunting season. And in some cases makes it more fun and challenging.

Thanks,

Ron
Ronhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:01 AM   #4
Dredly
Site Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Saylorsburg PA
Posts: 4,358
Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to drop a ton of cash.

Good idea(s). Thanks.

I've never done indoor target shooting in a league before but I think I would enjoy it. The place I'm going to shoot at is also pretty new maybe <2 years old... They are much more of an indoor/outdoor range than a 'pro shop'. They carry basic stuff like cable slides, release rope, a few releases, string wax, nocks, points, etc... They also buy/sell used bows.

I think the leagues are very informal and not 'sanctioned' by anyone but I'll have to ask for the rules anway. That was a good point and I didn't think of that.

When my group goes 3D shooting we ignore the rules and don't turn in our score cards. We all use hunting setups and shoot from the open class stakes unless they are un-realistic in distance or location relative to the target, then we make up our own location for that particular target. People think we're goofy and sometimes give us grief but it prepares us for hunting season. And in some cases makes it more fun and challenging.

Thanks,

Ron
even being informal I'd be very surprised if they don't separate the spot shooters from the hunters. Are you planning on shooting your hunting bow or are you getting a new bow strictly for spots shooting?

I decied on getting a "new" bow for spots as drawing 65 pound back that many times and holding it could be tough. Also I didn't want to have to switch sights and stuff everytime i chose to shoot a different event.

now for the cool part: all told for everything I put on my 05 Ovation (including the bow) I'm looking at about 650.00. so for less then the price of a new bow I got an entire spots setup and I even went a bit higher end on the scope
__________________
No I'm not dead
Dredly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:32 AM   #5
Ronhop
RIP
 
Ronhop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rock Island, IL
Posts: 3,967
Ronhop is on a distinguished road
Default

I have 2 bows. I have an Allegiance and a Diamond Victory. I'm going to set up the victory for target and leave my Allegiance alone.
Both bows are 70#. I may get 60# limbs for it or at least turn the poundage down and re-tune it.
The Victory has been sitting for a few months now so I figured I would either set it up for target or sell the thing. I chose the former.
Yes, I'll have to go down there this weekend and ask for the rules. That was a good point and may have saved me a few bucks.
I'll find out the story and then check classifieds.

Thanks,

Ron
Ronhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:42 AM   #6
Dredly
Site Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Saylorsburg PA
Posts: 4,358
Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly
Default

I was going to suggest dropping the Victory and getting a bow more geared towards spots but the resale on these things is horrible!

Looks like used ones are going for 250 - 275 if that. Does it shoot well enough to be a solid spots bow?
__________________
No I'm not dead
Dredly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:54 AM   #7
Ronhop
RIP
 
Ronhop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rock Island, IL
Posts: 3,967
Ronhop is on a distinguished road
Default

I shoot 3D well with it. I've rarely shot indoors except to sight in the 20yd pin.
I'm going to give the Victory a try and see what happens. I can always change bows if things don't work out. Longer ATA bow would probably be much more beneficial. We'll see what happens.

This is my first time doing indoor target so I expect I'll have a learning curve to go through.

Ron
Ronhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:02 PM   #8
Dredly
Site Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Saylorsburg PA
Posts: 4,358
Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
I shoot 3D well with it. I've rarely shot indoors except to sight in the 20yd pin.
I'm going to give the Victory a try and see what happens. I can always change bows if things don't work out. Longer ATA bow would probably be much more beneficial. We'll see what happens.

This is my first time doing indoor target so I expect I'll have a learning curve to go through.

Ron
Isn't that the fun of doing it though?
__________________
No I'm not dead
Dredly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:27 PM   #9
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......
 
BowhuntnHoosier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hoosierville
Posts: 13,882
BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about
Default

Sounds like fun to me shopping around looking for a bargain on archery accessories. Toxonics makes a great site also I have an older Toxonics Double Barrel Sight. With a bullseye 2X Scope. I am just waiting to get me an indoor bow to put it on. The classifieds on here and AT are always full of pretty good deals so just shop around for awhile and you should find a good deal. Good luck and as always please post us some pics of your spot bow when finished.
__________________


"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:33 AM   #10
brokenarrow
Evil Genius
 
brokenarrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hudson Valley NY
Posts: 5,305
brokenarrow is on a distinguished road
Default

Even Ebay has a ton of sights...under $250...I'm in the same position, trying to setup a spots rig...
__________________

brokenarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:59 AM   #11
Ronhop
RIP
 
Ronhop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rock Island, IL
Posts: 3,967
Ronhop is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
Isn't that the fun of doing it though?
Yep, that is definitely part of the fun.

Ron
Ronhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:00 AM   #12
Ronhop
RIP
 
Ronhop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rock Island, IL
Posts: 3,967
Ronhop is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
Sounds like fun to me shopping around looking for a bargain on archery accessories. Toxonics makes a great site also I have an older Toxonics Double Barrel Sight. With a bullseye 2X Scope. I am just waiting to get me an indoor bow to put it on. The classifieds on here and AT are always full of pretty good deals so just shop around for awhile and you should find a good deal. Good luck and as always please post us some pics of your spot bow when finished.
Yes, I will post pics.

Thanks for the help guys, Ron
Ronhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:05 AM   #13
Ronhop
RIP
 
Ronhop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rock Island, IL
Posts: 3,967
Ronhop is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
even being informal I'd be very surprised if they don't separate the spot shooters from the hunters. Are you planning on shooting your hunting bow or are you getting a new bow strictly for spots shooting?

I decied on getting a "new" bow for spots as drawing 65 pound back that many times and holding it could be tough. Also I didn't want to have to switch sights and stuff everytime i chose to shoot a different event.

now for the cool part: all told for everything I put on my 05 Ovation (including the bow) I'm looking at about 650.00. so for less then the price of a new bow I got an entire spots setup and I even went a bit higher end on the scope
Well,

I went there yesterday and they do not have a distinction between open class, hunter class, traditional, etc... Simply because they don't have enough shooters yet. The owner said 'Anything goes'...

Alrighty then...

Bottom line is that they don't advertise. It's word of mouth only.
I told them that doing that is a bad way to fly because there are a ton of archers around here that would love an indoor activity besides drinking and bowling after hunting season is over... Heck, the local 3D shoots attract a couple of hundred shooters for each event. That don't sound like much but this area is definitely a semi-rural area and does not have a high population density.

Anyway, thanks for the help and advice and I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Ron
Ronhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 06:51 PM   #14
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!
 
BUNNYMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: the Hutch
Posts: 29,888
BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
Well,

I went there yesterday and they do not have a distinction between open class, hunter class, traditional, etc... Simply because they don't have enough shooters yet. The owner said 'Anything goes'...

Alrighty then...

Bottom line is that they don't advertise. It's word of mouth only.
I told them that doing that is a bad way to fly because there are a ton of archers around here that would love an indoor activity besides drinking and bowling after hunting season is over... Heck, the local 3D shoots attract a couple of hundred shooters for each event. That don't sound like much but this area is definitely a semi-rural area and does not have a high population density.
Anyway, thanks for the help and advice and I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Ron

were lucky if we get 50 shooters.....
__________________
I cut things up and split them down!
BUNNYMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:00 PM   #15
brokenarrow
Evil Genius
 
brokenarrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hudson Valley NY
Posts: 5,305
brokenarrow is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
were lucky if we get 50 shooters.....
yep 100 is a busy shoot in this area...
__________________

brokenarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:11 AM   #16
Ronhop
RIP
 
Ronhop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rock Island, IL
Posts: 3,967
Ronhop is on a distinguished road
Default

There are a lot of bowhunters in this area. Most of my buddies bowhunt, waterfowl hunt, shotgun hunt, black powder hunt, deer hunt, turkey hung, squirrell hunt, etc... This general area is a hunting and fishing extravaganza.

Rerely do the archery clubs schedule 3D shoots on the same weekend. They seem to communicate well enough to spread out their events over the course of the Spring and Summer. One clube even has a 3D shoot/Hog Roast just before deer season starts. This sport is very active in this area from a hunting perspective and all the clubs encourage family participation. I lot of kids come out to the 3D's and shoot 'em up. They have a lot of fun too.


Off to ice fish today... Going out on a farm pond I've not been on before. Should be interesting.

Ron
Ronhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:22 PM   #17
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!
 
BUNNYMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: the Hutch
Posts: 29,888
BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
There are a lot of bowhunters in this area. Most of my buddies bowhunt, waterfowl hunt, shotgun hunt, black powder hunt, deer hunt, turkey hung, squirrell hunt, etc... This general area is a hunting and fishing extravaganza.

Rerely do the archery clubs schedule 3D shoots on the same weekend. They seem to communicate well enough to spread out their events over the course of the Spring and Summer. One clube even has a 3D shoot/Hog Roast just before deer season starts. This sport is very active in this area from a hunting perspective and all the clubs encourage family participation. I lot of kids come out to the 3D's and shoot 'em up. They have a lot of fun too.


Off to ice fish today... Going out on a farm pond I've not been on before. Should be interesting.
Ron
so how did you make out fishing??????
__________________
I cut things up and split them down!
BUNNYMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:01 PM   #18
Ronhop
RIP
 
Ronhop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rock Island, IL
Posts: 3,967
Ronhop is on a distinguished road
Default

It beat a good day in the office...

Drilled 16 holes, exactly, and had three lines in at a time a piece and just more or less pounded it for about 3 hours. We didn't even have a bite. We used wax worms and spikes. Very strange especially considering we were on a private pond with a ton of hybrid bluegill. I've caught a pail full of fish on this pond before and today was just a bust.

But, we had a spiral cut honey ham in a crock pot with mashed and corn tonight... Awsome.

I received my Vapor Trail string/cables yesterday. They seem nice but I need to take them out of the little ziplock baggies and look them over more closely. I have a spare WC string for my Victory so I'll make an attempt to take pics and post them on the site. Cosmetics are not everything but that can swing your opinion about quality quickly on a lot of things. As far as I can see they look like quality...

Will report later.

Work tomorrow, it's snowing here now, 4-6 inches between now and the AM. Temp got to about 30 degrees so it was nice on the ice today. Too bad fishing was not even close to being good.

Ron
Ronhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:06 PM   #19
Ronhop
RIP
 
Ronhop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rock Island, IL
Posts: 3,967
Ronhop is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
so how did you make out fishing??????
Oh, and the pond I mentioned about we were going to be on is up in flux since the property is now up for sale as of last Friday.

Off limits to everyone since the owner don't have any liability insurance. I guess we could have just walked out there but whats the point. We have tons of ponds out here.

That would have been interesting since I was not out there before. We had overcast conditions and could have drilled to our heart's content and walked around.

Oh well....

Ron
Ronhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:39 AM   #20
brokenarrow
Evil Genius
 
brokenarrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hudson Valley NY
Posts: 5,305
brokenarrow is on a distinguished road
Default

Any day of fishing... well you know
__________________

brokenarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:22 AM   #21
strow
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 8
strow is on a distinguished road
Default

Another thing you may want to consider on your sight pin is a good way to illuminate it. Hopefully a variable light source.
Learned this the hard way last week at the first night of the indoor league I shoot in. Had shot there during the day with my scope set-up ( circle reticle ) with no problems, but shooting at night without the little bit of daylight that filters through the front of the shop changed everything. Couldn't see my circle very well.
Just another reason to spend some more money on archery goodies.


Steve
strow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2004 3DShoots.com