Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 02-14-2007, 12:04 PM   #1
n2t

n2t is on a distinguished road
Default string stretch?

As a few of you on here know I recently got into archery. My first purchase was a heavily used martin orion bow. It shoots pretty well, is a bit slow (226fps at 60lbs with a 26.5" draw) but it also vibrates quite a bit as I shoot. I have leaches and limb savers on it as well as a limb saver stabalizer. My questions are, 1)do you think string stretch could be an issue as this is a heavily shot 1yo bow? 2) would a front mounted STS be a bad purchase. TY for you response.
n2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:47 PM   #2
Dredly
Site Guru

Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly

an STS is always a great addition

I don't think string stretch would cause this, however the bow being incorrectly timed definitely could.

I actually have a great suggestion. Call Martin! They have some excellent people working for them and they will do whatever they can to help you out.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
n2t

Martin agreed with you, claimed they don't have a general problem with string stretch. They also said it could be out of time and that the Orion was usualy a solid bow without much vibration/hand shock. But I didn't think a single cam bow could get "out of time"?
Old 02-14-2007, 02:41 PM   #4
Dredly
Site Guru

Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2t View Post
Martin agreed with you, claimed they don't have a general problem with string stretch. They also said it could be out of time and that the Orion was usualy a solid bow without much vibration/hand shock. But I didn't think a single cam bow could get "out of time"?
any bow can get "out of time" if you try hard enough. I would start by bottoming out the limbs to their max weight and then draw it and have somone take a pic and look to make sure everything is lined up correctly, then back it out to the desired weight (make sure to count turns on each limb! and try again and see what happens.

I don't know what a correctly timed martin looks like so I'll be useless but the Martin guys would be able to help you out.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:47 PM   #5
Pinwheel1969
#1 THREAD KILLER

Pinwheel1969 is on a distinguished road
Default string stretch

I wouldnt really worry about timing. What cams you got? nitrous cams, dyna cam, or tru arc? It will have to be pretty messed up to throw off a single cam bow. You wont have to mess w/ tiller either since its a single cam. I would get a STS for sure. Also a decent stabilzer will help. Are your arrows spined correctly too. Too light of and arrow will cause some vibration and noise. Limb savers would be a good idea. The Orion is a light weight bow by Martin standards. Does it have the vibration escape modules on the top and bottom of the riser?
I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
RANGER BOW STRINGS
Pinwheel1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:30 PM   #6
n2t

I'm shooting gold tip 5575s at about 27" long with 100grn tips and blazers. I'm pulling 60lbs 26.5" draw lenth and shooting 226fps. I have limb savers, string leaches, a limb saver stabalizer. I think it's got the dyna cam as I haven't seen it listed with nitrous and it's def. single cam. I hope they also make another grip for it as mines beggining to tear.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:00 PM   #7
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

Single cams need to be in the correct orientation. Find out what the exact axle to axle measurement and brace height measuremnt should be. While your at it, find out how the cam is supposed to sit at rest. Some have reference marks on them. When all specs are met any vibes should be at their minimum. If you have a Martin dealer near you ask if they'll go over it with you so you'll learn what to look for. Last resort give Martin another jingle. An STS works fine, but you want to get the bow in spec first.
red44 is offline   Reply With Quote