Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 03-13-2007, 05:03 AM   #1
hornet190

hornet190 is on a distinguished road
Default which optic to use

I shot my first 3D tournament the other day, which I thoroughly enjoyed. the problem which I encountered was that the binoculars I was using were not up to the challenge. I found myself seeing the target, but I could not see the 11 point circle, or the 10 point circle for that matter most of the time. I have asked around for some advice, but it seems to me that the range are far greater than what I anticipated.
What I am after is a product which will deliver the best quality with out sending me into bankruptcy, as I have noticed the prices exceed $1500 in some cases. I have looked at a few binoculars, spoken to a few people, but I can not seem to get a satisfactory answer from the camera shops, whom I visited, as to which binoculars in the 8x40ish range will be suitable to use with glasses, suitable for competitions, suitable for hunting and as I said not to strenuous on the budget. I looked at the Leupold Cascade and its specs seems impressive for the price, but I do not want to make the mistake of purchasing item which will be replaced at a later stage by some thing that does the job.
Any ideas?!
hornet190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:11 PM   #2
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

brokenarrow is on a distinguished road

It can be tough to find binos that meet all your wants or needs...I use Bushnell 8x40's bought primarily for price...But they are good binos...I do not wear glasses though...The only thing you can do is go out an try some different brands...

brokenarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:38 AM   #3
Ronhop
RIP

Ronhop is on a distinguished road

Yes, I agree with brokenarrow. You need to try a few.
I have an 8x40 Baush & Lomb. I paid about $100 for them in eBay.
I do wer glasses, bifocals, andthose binos work well for me.
One issue is that in order to really see the inside ring you need to have atraget that's in decent shape as well as good lighting. If the target is beat up and your in a heavily wooded area, seeing the inside ring may be impossible. Decent binos aside, it would also help to get a set of those plastic target cards that have the rings/vitals on them. Clip them on your quiver or belt for a reference. Between those and the binos you should be in decent shape.

Good luck !

Ron

Last edited by Ronhop; 03-16-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Ronhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:21 PM   #4
Heavyhaul

Heavyhaul is on a distinguished road

Rinehart has their scoring rings downloadable on their sight. I am new to this so I made them half-size, turned them sideways and printed IBO on one side and ASA on the other. I then folded it in half and put it in a plastic sleeve that I taped to a small clear clipboard that I bought at Wally world for $1.97. I have seen the one thatMcKenzie offers for around $9.
Heavyhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 01:37 AM   #5
hornet190

hornet190 is on a distinguished road

thanks for all the replies, i looked at the Leupold Cascade over the weekend, which seems to work very well with my glasses, and the quality seems good. they sell for around $250 which i suppose is not to bad on the pocket.
hornet190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:43 PM   #6
Ronhop
RIP

Ronhop is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyhaul View Post
Rinehart has their scoring rings downloadable on their sight. I am new to this so I made them half-size, turned them sideways and printed IBO on one side and ASA on the other. I then folded it in half and put it in a plastic sleeve that I taped to a small clear clipboard that I bought at Wally world for $1.97. I have seen the one thatMcKenzie offers for around $9.
That's a great idea... I love it !

Ron
Ronhop is offline   Reply With Quote