Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 01-01-2005, 01:28 PM   #1
tparker

tparker is on a distinguished road
Default opinions from those who know

Looking for a new compound to start over with and just wanted to get some opinions. 6 years ago I had to take an unwanted break from bowhunting because of a shoulder injury. I've recently been cleared to start into a program to get me shooting again. Besides that I started my son on his first bow recently at the age of 6 and wow, He's taking to it unbelievably well. He wants to shoot a couple times a day.
I am looking for honest input from the people that would know and that can help me make a descision about what bow to buy. I know it all comes down to which one feels good and shoots well for me. but if anyone has any input into any compounds that are out there that are what they consider to be smooth, fast and flat shooting, I would appreciate it. I'm really surprised at how the technology has changed just in a few short years.
I've been looking at Parkers,Martin's and Brownings. If anyone has any information about which manufacturers have the best records or most wins in tournament or 3D shoots please give me a heads up.
Thanks for your assistance.
tparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 10:34 AM   #2
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

How's your shoulder now? Do you want a smooth puller or do you think you can handle any of the cams now?

For smooth pulling, you need to look at the Bowtech Freedom cam bows or even the new Equalizer Cam's in the 2005 line.

The freedom cams pull like they are 10lbs lighter than they actually are. I have a person that comes in with a rotator cuff problem and he shoots the liberty with the freedom cam and loves it.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 02:14 PM   #3
tparker

A rotator injury was the original problem but it extended into permanent nerve damage and muscle atrophy through the next and shoulder. Had a lot of problems with severe cramping in the bicep anytime I lifted my right elbow to shoulder level. That's a problem if you are trying to shoot a bow. Most of it's taken care of now but the only way to get rid of the rest is to retrain the affected muscles.
I was looking at a Parker EZ Draw because of the same smoothness that you described on the the Bowtech models. Like I said, I've been out of it for a while and am unfamiliar with the Bowtech line so it might be a little difficult to put my hands on one. I will definitely look into them and see what I come up with. What kind of price range are the Bowtech's?
Old 01-03-2005, 09:15 AM   #4
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

Bowtechs are generally in the mid $600 range.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 06:13 AM   #5
GregH

GregH is on a distinguished road

A very good friend of mine has had 3 surgeries on his shoulder. The last surgery they replaced his joint with titanium. He switched to the Browning Micro Adrenaline. (I think that's what it's called) It's their youth bow and only weighs 2 pounds. It's poundage is 40-50. Plenty enough for any white tail in the country. He uses no stabilizer. For him as long as he keeps the weight of the bow down he can hold pretty steady.

Good luck
GregH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 06:33 AM   #6
tparker

I feel pretty confident that the weight is not an issue. I used to also shoot a 68# recurve and had not problems. I'm 6'1" and 245lb with a fair amount of it in upper body size. The thing that I've found that bothers my shoulder is the breaking of the big lumpy cams. After a few shots it just feels like the breaking weight keeps getting heavier. I've shot a couple of bows so far that breakover smoother and they don't seem like they will be much of a problem.
Tell your frien that if he can come back to where he's at after that kind of trauma, he gives me great hope of shooting well again.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:27 PM   #7
Northforker

Northforker is on a distinguished road

I have some of the same shoulder/back/neck problems.I don't think mine is as bad as yours from the sound of it though. I shoot a Parker Ultra Lite Pro (discontinued in 2003), however it is almost identical to the Parker Ultra Lite 35.My bow has a pretty harsh cam breakover, but it is really fast. I have shot the Parker EZ Draw 34 and it has a smooth breakover. I would recommend the Parker line. The customer service is great! The only problem I have had with my bow is the original string was junk! Parker says they are putting premium strings on their 2005 bows(Stone Mt. I think?). I also second the recommendation to shoot the Bowtech line, they have some very smooth bows. I am thinking about buying an Old Glory this year myself! good luck and good shooting.
Northforker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 03:59 AM   #8
arrowheadtroutm

arrowheadtroutm is on a distinguished road
Default And a 3rd....

recommendation to try a Bowtech.
arrowheadtroutm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 07:13 PM   #9
tparker

Thumbs up

Shot a Parker easy draw, a Bow Tech, and an AR31 by archery research this weekend. They were all good, but the one that stood out to me to be the smoothest, quickest and quietest overall was the AR31. Has anyone had much exposure to them?
Found out that there's a new archery pro shop (new to me) about 40 minutes from me and it is so nice to talk to someone about this stuff that understands the technical side of it rather than someone just saying"well the brochure says".
Old 01-17-2005, 08:15 AM   #10
arrowheadtroutm

Which Bowtech did you shoot? I shot a Liberty on Saturday, bought it, and will be getting rid of my Mathews Outback.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:02 AM   #11
tparker

I shot the liberty and another one(patriot?)
I was impressed by all but the AR just, you know, had that feel.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:39 AM   #12
tparker

I believe the bowtech was a Patriot?
I really liked the Archery research bow. it just had that feel.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:58 AM   #13
arrowheadtroutm

That is what it is all about...we should be blindfolded and test shoot bows...skip the name of the company, and focus on how it feels and fits.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:44 PM   #14
tparker

Well ya'll
I bought an Archery Research AR31. After close to 6 years of not shooting from shoulder injuries, I'm shooting 2" groups at 20-25 yards after less than 2 months.
I never would have dreamed that it would come back so quick. I talked to alot of folks out there and just wanted to say thank you for all your input. It came down to the Bowtech Liberty and the AR31( I know, totally different). I went with the AR31 because it's quiet and extremely smooth, and I hunt a lot of cedar thickets and areas with heavy cover. One of the things I like most about this bow is that it is short enough that if you can stand upright under something, you can shoot from under it too. At full draw it's virtually no taller than the top of your head.

Thanks to everyone for your help.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:25 PM   #15
bub

bub is on a distinguished road
Default Ar

I shoot the ar-34. Its the same bow just 3 inches longer. It shoots as good as any bow I've had. I like it alot.
bub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 01:37 PM   #16
Diesel77

Diesel77 is on a distinguished road
Default Choosing a bow ...

Dont listen to what anyone says except the guys that say to shoot as many different bows as possible and pick the one that feels and shoots the best in YOUR hands. Some shoot faster, some have smoother releases, some just feel better because of ones body structure/build composition and the way you draw. All the new bows are excellent choices, Mathews, Hoyt, Parker, etc etc etc .... or listen to the guys that have made your decision for you and buy there brand/model.
Diesel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 10:12 AM   #17
glenny

glenny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to glenny
Default I would try the bowtech binary equalizers.

I went from mathews to hoyt,and now Bowtech.
The draw is exactly as Chris described it,55 feels like 50.
There is no hard rollover,and my freind who has had problems drawing his 55 lb razortech just got a Old Glory and he isn't complaining anymore.
I can relate to what you are dealng with from many older men are going to crossbows because they can't pull back 45.
I would have to say atleast try them and see what they feel like for you,they are smooth drawing and quite a different breed of cams,and fast too.
glenny is offline   Reply With Quote