Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 03-28-2007, 06:46 PM   #1
dirtfox

dirtfox is on a distinguished road
Default Yay for more new people!

Hello, yet another new person here at the forums. Kinda fun seeing some other ladies posting... I got hooked on some lessons at my local archery shop (as they intended ) and I'd swear from the jokes around there that no other women like bowhunting! Maybe it's just my area...

Problem is though, my local shop doesn't have anything *in stock* that's suitable for me to try before I buy. They're being very sweet and offered to order some bows into the shop for me to try out, but sent me off with homework to figure out what I'm looking for.

Yeah. That's where I got bogged down with the sheer number of bows out there.

So, can any of you folks point me in some good directions? I don't care about brand name or cutting edge speed. I'm aiming to actually hunt with the bow rather than competition target-shooting. A lower draw weight and nice forgiveness will help me starting out a good bit. Probably looking for something that's offered in a 40 or 50 pound draw, as anything lighter won't be legal for bowhunting Oh yes, and I'm on the tall side for a lady, so longer axle lengths are peachy keen. The guys at the shop were estimating I'd like a 28.5" draw, but a website I checked out suggested 27.5 for my height (about 5'9"), and I'm planning on using a release anyways... Don't know rightly where that leaves me!

And to top that all off, I don't want to spend more than $500 on a setup. Mind you, if someone out there knows something just perfect that's more, I'd definitely like to hear about it

How's that for a challenge?
dirtfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:52 PM   #2
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtfox View Post
Hello, yet another new person here at the forums. Kinda fun seeing some other ladies posting... I got hooked on some lessons at my local archery shop (as they intended ) and I'd swear from the jokes around there that no other women like bowhunting! Maybe it's just my area...

Problem is though, my local shop doesn't have anything *in stock* that's suitable for me to try before I buy. They're being very sweet and offered to order some bows into the shop for me to try out, but sent me off with homework to figure out what I'm looking for.

Yeah. That's where I got bogged down with the sheer number of bows out there.

So, can any of you folks point me in some good directions? I don't care about brand name or cutting edge speed. I'm aiming to actually hunt with the bow rather than competition target-shooting. A lower draw weight and nice forgiveness will help me starting out a good bit. Probably looking for something that's offered in a 40 or 50 pound draw, as anything lighter won't be legal for bowhunting Oh yes, and I'm on the tall side for a lady, so longer axle lengths are peachy keen. The guys at the shop were estimating I'd like a 28.5" draw, but a website I checked out suggested 27.5 for my height (about 5'9"), and I'm planning on using a release anyways... Don't know rightly where that leaves me!

And to top that all off, I don't want to spend more than $500 on a setup. Mind you, if someone out there knows something just perfect that's more, I'd definitely like to hear about it

How's that for a challenge?

Look at the X3 in the Mission line.....

Bengal in the Martin line.....
Old 03-28-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
Dredly
Site Guru

Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
Look at the X3 in the Mission line.....

Bengal in the Martin line.....
I think its important to know what you plan on doing... will you be shooting 3-D's or only pulling the bow out 3 or 4 weeks before season to shoot broadheads?
Old 03-28-2007, 07:27 PM   #4
Pinwheel1969
#1 THREAD KILLER

Pinwheel1969 is on a distinguished road

I wouldnt go by what web site says or estimates. thats based on an average. as all people are not the same. I'd go and get it done at a pro-shop. As for bows. Its a toss up. I'd check a few brands out. I seen that you can get a 2007 PSE Nova SU w/ a 2 cam as a package for $349.00. It has aprox. 38" axel to axel. Would make a good hunting. Look at the Tru-ball stinger for a good release at a low price of $30.00. Martin Bengal for $300.00 w/o accessories. Diamond has some nice bows in the $300.00 to $400.00 range. Mission archery also, Browning micro adrenalin in 2007 model in the $250.00 range.
good luck!!!
I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
RANGER BOW STRINGS
Pinwheel1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:53 PM   #5
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
I think its important to know what you plan on doing... will you be shooting 3-D's or only pulling the bow out 3 or 4 weeks before season to shoot broadheads?
umm maybe more reading and less talking is what Dredly needs to do....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtfox
I don't care about brand name or cutting edge speed. I'm aiming to actually hunt with the bow rather than competition target-shooting. A lower draw weight and nice forgiveness will help me starting out a good bit. Probably looking for something that's offered in a 40 or 50 pound draw, as anything lighter won't be legal for bowhunting
Old 03-28-2007, 07:55 PM   #6
Wheely
Wheely Threads

Wheely has a spectacular aura aboutWheely has a spectacular aura about

Wow, we got the ladies rollin' in now! Ummm... when I joined you boys demanded pics, what's up with that, I haven't seen any "ladies have to post their pics" posts yet.

to the forums, these guys and girls have lots of advice!
Wheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:02 PM   #7
Pinwheel1969
#1 THREAD KILLER

Cause wheels we new you post anything we wanted..... He He He..
you really shouldnt post that kind of stuff on a family site. Just email them to me!!! LOL
I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
RANGER BOW STRINGS
Old 03-28-2007, 08:13 PM   #8
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels3 View Post
Wow, we got the ladies rollin' in now! Ummm... when I joined you boys demanded pics, what's up with that, I haven't seen any "ladies have to post their pics" posts yet.

glad you brought it up
Old 03-28-2007, 09:25 PM   #9
goldflinger

goldflinger is on a distinguished road

I seen a browning micro midas 4 over the weekend. Sharp looking bow. Went about 350. Does anyone know if this is a new bow or did I just not see it yet???????????And welcome dirtfox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-28-2007, 09:30 PM   #10
goldflinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels3 View Post

Pics are good......But I wanto know what part of the country you call home.Be quite bowman.....Not a stalker.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:41 PM   #11
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldflinger View Post
Pics are good......But I wanto know what part of the country you call home.Be quite bowman.....Not a stalker.
hey i think you just recieved the "I got in BOWMAN's sig for a week" award....
Old 03-28-2007, 09:42 PM   #12
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

brokenarrow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I seen a browning micro midas 4 over the weekend. Sharp looking bow. Went about 350. Does anyone know if this is a new bow or did I just not see it yet???????????And welcome dirtfox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
First, Welcome to the forum Dirtfox...

Goldfinger,
The Midas 4 is new this year...they change them every couple of years...There's been a Midas1, 2, and 3...They are a good bow...my wife shoots a 3 and it's a nice shooter...

brokenarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:52 PM   #13
Pinwheel1969
#1 THREAD KILLER

Quote:
$350.00 for the whole package right? The new micro-midas and adrenalin are all machined risers and parallel limbs. Same cam system as last years.
RANGER BOW STRINGS
Old 03-28-2007, 10:51 PM   #14
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about

Hey there to the forum. Glad to have you with us dirtfox.

Alot of great bows out there, I would suggest you go around to proshops and shoot all the bows you possibley can. May even be some ladies around the ranges that can help you out. I know it is hard to find bows in the poundage you may need to test but the only way to find out what you really like is to test drive them. Once you find something you like if the price is a little too high then just go to the classifieds on here or on AT lots of great deals to be had. I think the Mission line, Fred Bear line, and PSE line may just have something you like although the Midas is a great bow also just shoot several and then decide. Again WELCOME to the forum and happy shootin.

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:29 PM   #15
dirtfox

dirtfox is on a distinguished road

Hey, thanks for all the suggestions so far! And glad to be here, as it were.

Yeah, I'd really like to get my hands on some of the bows, but at least now I've got some names to give the guys at the local pro shop. They didn't have a thing in the shop that was a draw weight I'd actually learn anything by trying to pull.

I was originally searching for bows that had a lighter draw weight, or were aimed for 'smaller' hunters - like the Micro Adrenaline - but since I'm not actually small, just scrawny, I've been running into a lot of setups that don't have the option of a nice long draw length, or have short axle to axle lengths. I've heard that the short axle bows are a lot more demanding, and harder to shoot accurately if you're dealing with long distances. (I'm in Central California, so there's a lot more brush and open areas than trees) Am I making a bigger deal of it than I need to?

I was reading some good things about the Martin Bengal too, but at 50 lb draw being their lightest option, I might have to hit the gym before I'd be able to draw my bow back! Hmm.

Time to look up more of these suggestions!
dirtfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:11 PM   #16
Wheely
Wheely Threads

Wheely has a spectacular aura aboutWheely has a spectacular aura about

Another Californian? How far South of Sac are you?
Wheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:47 PM   #17
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:

Yeah, I'd really like to get my hands on some of the bows, but at least now I've got some names to give the guys at the local pro shop. They didn't have a thing in the shop that was a draw weight I'd actually learn anything by trying to pull.

I was originally searching for bows that had a lighter draw weight, or were aimed for 'smaller' hunters - like the Micro Adrenaline - but since I'm not actually small, just scrawny, I've been running into a lot of setups that don't have the option of a nice long draw length, or have short axle to axle lengths. I've heard that the short axle bows are a lot more demanding, and harder to shoot accurately if you're dealing with long distances. (I'm in Central California, so there's a lot more brush and open areas than trees) Am I making a bigger deal of it than I need to?

I was reading some good things about the Martin Bengal too, but at 50 lb draw being their lightest option, I might have to hit the gym before I'd be able to draw my bow back! Hmm.

If I am not mistaken the draw weight would go from 40-50lbs......thats what 50lbs limbs usaully mean
Old 03-29-2007, 09:14 PM   #18
goldflinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
hey i think you just recieved the "I got in BOWMAN's sig for a week" award....
Hey Chris....Wouldn't Bowman's sig fall under some personal attack rule???? What ya think??????????????????
Old 03-29-2007, 11:47 PM   #19
ByteMe

ByteMe is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ByteMe
Default Hey dirtfox

Howdy girl... I am sure you will have a blast here.

Just be careful us guys can get kinda rowdy when the females start a waltzin in. Dont worry though we dont BYTE to hard.. actually more like chihuahuas as our bark is bigger than our BYTE.

I am with wheels on the picture thing.. how come we aint been so strict with the picture requirement on the females? Only new pics we seen is bowman in his french maid outfit
Toxonics 3 pin sight
NAP Quicktune 3000
26" Carbon Express Sidewinder 60's 324gr

"Bringing back the smack... one post at a time!!"

"You can lead, follow or just get the hell outta my way!!"
ByteMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:28 AM   #20
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByteMe View Post
Howdy girl... I am sure you will have a blast here.

Just be careful us guys can get kinda rowdy when the females start a waltzin in. Dont worry though we dont BYTE to hard.. actually more like chihuahuas as our bark is bigger than our BYTE.

I am with wheels on the picture thing.. how come we aint been so strict with the picture requirement on the females? Only new pics we seen is bowman in his french maid outfit
Please stop reminding me.

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:11 PM   #21
kbohunt
are u a fat boy?

kbohunt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kbohunt
Default bow setup's

Quote:

to the forum check-out the martin tracer-2 magnum
my son had a simular problem i searched for a bow with good speed/price/adjustability.
27-30 inch draw 45-65lbs.solo cam. basspro.price complete package:$399
sight/rest/quiver/wrist strap/stabilizer.
he wouldnt have any other bow.
any other question's just ask.

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
Arrows..beman ICS hunter
SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
FBSA-MEMBER
Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A
kbohunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:17 PM   #22
Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes will become famous soon enoughHoly Smokes will become famous soon enough

Welcome and this makes four of ya'll now. That's really good. But ya will need ta tell Wheels that we still got ya out #ed> Smokes

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Last edited by Holy Smokes; 03-31-2007 at 10:20 PM.
Holy Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote