Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 08-09-2005, 09:49 PM   #1
CSullivan

CSullivan is on a distinguished road
Default Crown dipping....Anyone doing this?

I am an experienced bowhunter, but I have recently bought equipment to cut,vane and set up my own arrows. I have almost always shot crown dipped ones, but I'm unfamiliar with the process to do this. I know I can buy the plastic wrps for arrows, but I think I'd rather stick to the actual "painted" crowns. Anyone out there with experience in doing this? I sure could use a little insight into what to use and how you keep a steady coat to control arrow weight, trajectory, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!!
CSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 07:42 PM   #2
sweet old bill

sweet old bill is on a distinguished road

A lot of the traditional guyas like me love to make arrows and crown dip is one part of the cycle. I use the golf tubes and a cork in the botton. I also add black electric tape to ensure no leaks. I use a full 12 inchs of tube, but only dip to 8 inchs. I mark the shafts with tape to show the 8 inch length. I use white glass paint from walmart in the qt cans. I also got a 4 x 8 ft cheap tarp, I put outside, I have a small table that I stand the tube against, with a tie cord on the tarp. I did the arrow and then put it on a line to dip / dry over the tarp with a clothes pin...a sure sign of spring in the upstate NY is arrows on my line drying to a warm breeze...I also then crest each arrow with a crester I made from a walmart 8 buck mixer, I use it with a pice of tubing onto the arrow and then let the shaft spin inside of 3 eye bolts...works just as good as the 160 buck crester...paint in small jars are again from walmart, or you can try testers pain as well....
sweet old bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 04:02 AM   #3
Shakes_602

Shakes_602 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Crown Dipping

I just tape off the desired length of Crown with masking tape, wrap a piece of paper around the Point End I dont want painted, and goof old Wally World Spray Paint the Exposed Nock end. Piece o' cake, and no muss-no fuss.
Shakes_602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 07:56 AM   #4
glenny

glenny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to glenny
Default I hate paint!

Don't get me wrong here,but hey,just because they sure are pretty and all... I know what it is like to try and strip that crap off there for hours to refletch.
The wraps that are available are alternatively the best thing for that look.
I do not like to strip arrows by the use of acetone,and it takes a good soaking to really clean the dip truly off.
The wrap gives equal if not better adhesion to the shaft for vanes or feathers.
The wrap also is dead on consistent in weight for better accuracy.
Removal of a wrapped arrow to refletch?
7 times more pleasant.
they also make different sizes and you could even cut them to whatever size you wanted,as well as such a wide variety of colors it really makes the dip a thing of the past.
Oh,I forgot to mention getting everyone including yourself whirly from the fumes,no,not pleasant by any means.
Unless your into sniffing paint fumes,I just can't see really cresting with paint to be the way to go anymore.
Traditional archery or not.
glenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 02:25 PM   #5
sweet old bill

I do both paints and the arrow wraps. I hate arrow wraps when you go to take them off, what a pain. I just had to redo 3 carbons that had a 12 inch crown dip, tried shakes way of doing it and worked out real great. have drying on the line now.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:05 PM   #6
Shakes_602

Hey Glenny, Dont Sugar-Coat it for us Brother, tell us how you REALLY Feel!! I have done the Wrap thing on some Aluminums, loaded them in my Crester and did my Own Design Work on the Wrap. It didnt turn out as well as the Old Spray Paint System, so I went back to it.
Sweet Old Bill, I hope you like the way the end up! The paint isnt as thick when it comes time to Re-Fletch and it doesnt take a Lot to get a Purty Arrow!
Old 08-25-2005, 04:40 AM   #7
sweet old bill

I made a crester machine out of a walmart mixer for 8 bucks and some walmart paints and brushes ....now can custom my own arrows...the mixer gives you 7 speeds and all with just a rubber band and 3 eye hooks...aand some 2 x 4 by 2 ft long and had to use only one beater and cut the beater off so it is just a shaft that you can put a rubber band on it as a drive shaft..
Old 08-25-2005, 08:29 AM   #8
Shakes_602

Sounds like a Fine Crester to Me! I used an Old Sewing Machine Motor, that I had to Rewire because it was so Old. I planted all of it on a 1X4, made a V-Block and a Rest to hold my Brush Hand on.
I did shell out a little money for an "Official Cresting Chuck", I think it was $8 or $9, and it all works A-OK for Me!
Did the "Spray On" Method work out for you? If you do it in light coats, several times for good coverage, they look like "Professional", but I can stand back and say "I did it Myself!"
Old 08-25-2005, 05:51 PM   #9
sweet old bill

3 light coats of gloss white and came out great. no run no hits and all fun...
giving 3 carbons to a young girl archer to try in her new bow her husband to be has on lay a way. Fletched with 4 inch feather 2 hot pink and one white **** feather on 500 epic carbon at 28 inch with 100 gr easy pull points.....also creasted with 3 hot pink lines with white gloss between them...I do not know if a lot of the guys know how cresting came about, but in old England they started doing it to tell who shot the deer....as arrows were made up in bulk...so creasting was a way of telling who owned the arrow....Had a fellow archer in england do a search for first name William and he came up with what had been a custom crest for the King William....so I did all my arrows that way one time....now I go for just what looks good to me...I must have 15 jars of small paint from walmart, plus a 4 oz jar of gloss white and also yellow....In the winter when we get the 160+ inchs of snow it passes the time away....I also must have 10 doz raw wood shafts made up and crow dip for 10 inch and then walnut stain and then 3 coats water poly...Have them in doz bundles with rubber bands and then into a full plastic double bag to keep the water out in the basement rafters were it stays kool...
Old 08-25-2005, 08:55 PM   #10
Pinky

Pinky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet old bill
I do not know if a lot of the guys know how cresting came about, but in old England they started doing it to tell who shot the deer....as arrows were made up in bulk...so creasting was a way of telling who owned the arrow....
If true.........that is really interesting.

I have always presumed that folks crested their arrows for decoration, or like me, to make the arrow easier to find after shooting an animal.

THX for that post!