Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Tournament Forum > MAC Midwest Archery Championship

Old 08-23-2005, 09:02 AM   #1
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute
Default MAC Championship, my opinion

I didn't get to attend last years championship but did this year. I heard many complaints about last years shoot and there seemed to be many improvements in the way things were run. The people running the shoot seemed to have things running pretty smoothly, which was good. Food was even available after the shoot.

However, I heard and saw a few things that should be looked at. Disclaimer: I was not in any running for SOY so my comments are my own opinion.

First is the peer grouping. Why was the MBR peer group split up so someones child could shoot with them. This is the championship shoot and was supposed to put the best shooters together. I believe Josh Pink had to shoot with some traditional shooters instead of the MBR peer group. This means he shot every target first. Now this is not fair considering he was to be peer grouped.

Second, MBO class, what was up with the long shots on the small targets. Many of you all go to the Nationals and don't shoot tournaments this difficult.

Third, the open field to shaded shots. Now this is a pure luck shot. One, you normally can't see the rings to know where to shoot. Two, you hope to be able to tell the difference between the target and the ground when aiming. So where is the skill involved in these shots?

Fourth, trophies: Did someone put the SOY trophies in the dryer too long. I have one of these from years past and it's about 3ft tall.

I know a whole group of guys that are very disappointed in the Championship. These guys go to nearly every MAC shoot and donate their money. They get NO trophies even if they win the qualifier expecting BIG trophies, plaques or something nice at the championship. The estimate is they as a group donated over $1000 to the MAC.

I understand the championship should be the hardest shoot of the year. On a difficulty scale of 1-10, the qualfiers are usually a 6-7 and the championship this year, from the MBO stake was a 22. Don't believe me look at the scores, they are mostly horrible. A few still did well and maybe that's the MACs goal. But if shooters don't have fun, they will not be back!
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 10:27 AM   #2
Steve Phalen

Steve Phalen is on a distinguished road
Default Reply

Thank you for your input Chris! I do truly appreciate them. Yes the shoot was difficult due to lighting for the most part. Please keep in mind that MBO shares a stake with the MMON class. As far as peer grouping goes...this is the first year that MAC has had peer grouping. As far as the child shooting with the MBR shooters...he was my son. The MAC rules say that any shooter under the age of 13 must be supervised. Since I was also in the peer grouping we shot together. We had several peer groups set up this way to be in keeping with the rules. Again your comment is well taken and will be looked at for peer grouping for next year. The MAC's original intent for peer grouping was to get all the top shooters in each class there on the same day to shoot under the same conditions. I agree that not everything was perfect! We have talked to several shooters after the shoot and over the past few days and have had great input and ideas for next year. I welcome all input and ideas to help MAC grow and improve!!! As far as trophies go....What each club gives at qualifiers is not under MAC's control. That is up to the club. The trophies at the Championship are purchased within a budget to help keep cost in line from year to year. If everyone wants bigger trophies we will have to charge more for the qualifiers and championship to cover these costs. Please keep in mind that MAC is a nonprofit group and simply try to keep costs down to provide a more economical situation for the shooters, especially the many families that shoot the MAC.
I hope this at least answers the majority of your questions. Again, I welcome all that want to see changes to attend the year end meeting. When the date is set it will be posted on the MAC website.
On a personal note - Thank you for attending the championship this year.
Steve
Steve Phalen is offline   Reply With Quote