Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range
 

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2007, 08:18 AM   #1
EAGLE
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: MN
Posts: 2
EAGLE is on a distinguished road
Question Target

What are targets made of nowadays?
50 years ago, when I was into archery we used straw bales.
Now that I have purchased a "wheel" bow I need a target.
Rather then buy a $60+ comercial target can I build my own?
If not practical to do this which kind should I buy?
EAGLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:45 AM   #2
kbohunt
are u a fat boy?
 
kbohunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Moseley,Va
Posts: 3,237
kbohunt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kbohunt
Default Retail stores!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLE View Post
What are targets made of nowadays?
50 years ago, when I was into archery we used straw bales.
Now that I have purchased a "wheel" bow I need a target.
Rather then buy a $60+ comercial target can I build my own?
If not practical to do this which kind should I buy?
IF your lookin for a cheap target get one at a retail store!
I buy bag targets at walmart for $24.99 all day long!
If you want to make a cheap one, go to a feed store buy the biggest burlap sack u can find stuff it full & tight with plastic wrap,(silophine) & tie it up,get a perminent black marker draw a 9 inch circle,spray a blaze orange dot with spray paint in the center of the circle.
This is what i do for homeade targets!
__________________
kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
Arrows..beman ICS hunter
SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
FBSA-MEMBER
Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A
kbohunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 03:22 PM   #3
3dhunter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NW Iowa
Posts: 61
3dhunter is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to 3dhunter
Default

I'd say go with the Morrell bag instead of making your own, should run about 50.00; I've had mine for about ten years with no problems, covers a little faded, but that's it.
__________________
Keith
NBEF Instructor
South Dakota - Iowa
3dhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 06:25 PM   #4
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!
 
BUNNYMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: the Hutch
Posts: 29,888
BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbohunt View Post
I buy bag targets at walmart for $24.99 all day long!

WHY?????

1 target lasts me a long time???
I cant see why I would need to buy them all day long....must be crappy targets......

that being said I use a Magic Stop target and really like it....
__________________
I cut things up and split them down!
BUNNYMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 12:48 PM   #5
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......
 
BowhuntnHoosier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hoosierville
Posts: 13,882
BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about
Default

I buy bag targets made here locally for $30. But if you want to make one then I would suggest get yourself a couple 2X10's, all thread or motorcycle straps and some old strips of carpet or cardboard about 10 inches wide and as long as your 2X10's. Put board on bottom and top of a stack of cardboard or carpet and use the strap or all thread to pull boards together tight.
__________________


"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:23 PM   #6
kbohunt
are u a fat boy?
 
kbohunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Moseley,Va
Posts: 3,237
kbohunt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kbohunt
Default All Day Long!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
WHY?????

1 target lasts me a long time???
I cant see why I would need to buy them all day long....must be crappy targets......

that being said I use a Magic Stop target and really like it....
You can buy them at walmart for 24.99
They sell them at this price all day long.
Sorry if i have to explain myself in detail for you younger viewer's
And maybe i am buying them all day long @ 24.99 & re-selling them at 30.00
__________________
kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
Arrows..beman ICS hunter
SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
FBSA-MEMBER
Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A
kbohunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:07 AM   #7
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......
 
BowhuntnHoosier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hoosierville
Posts: 13,882
BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbohunt View Post
You can buy them at walmart for 24.99
They sell them at this price all day long.
Sorry if i have to explain myself in detail for you younger viewer's
And maybe i am buying them all day long @ 24.99 & re-selling them at 30.00
I know what you mean, he is a real funny guy ain't he??
__________________


"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 03:58 PM   #8
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!
 
BUNNYMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: the Hutch
Posts: 29,888
BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
I know what you mean, he is a real funny guy ain't he??
I guess you didnt get the humor in my joke.....
__________________
I cut things up and split them down!
BUNNYMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:40 PM   #9
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......
 
BowhuntnHoosier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hoosierville
Posts: 13,882
BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
I guess you didnt get the humor in my joke.....
Oh I got it just tried to overlook it.
__________________


"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:19 PM   #10
midevilarcher5575
Banned
 
midevilarcher5575's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 180
midevilarcher5575 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to midevilarcher5575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbohunt View Post
IF your lookin for a cheap target get one at a retail store!
I buy bag targets at walmart for $24.99 all day long!
If you want to make a cheap one, go to a feed store buy the biggest burlap sack u can find stuff it full & tight with plastic wrap,(silophine) & tie it up,get a perminent black marker draw a 9 inch circle,spray a blaze orange dot with spray paint in the center of the circle.
This is what i do for homeade targets!
wal-mart here only sell's them during hunting season.any way the bag targets you buy at wally world are made by morrell,and only sold to walmart becuase of the poor quility.and that is stright from the horse's mouth
midevilarcher5575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:53 PM   #11
kbohunt
are u a fat boy?
 
kbohunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Moseley,Va
Posts: 3,237
kbohunt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kbohunt
Default >> What?<<

Quote:
Originally Posted by midevilarcher5575 View Post
wal-mart here only sell's them during hunting season.any way the bag targets you buy at wally world are made by morrell,and only sold to walmart becuase of the poor quility.and that is stright from the horse's mouth
2 years ago i bought this one (delta-deadstop) at wal-mart they stopped carrying them?
My sister-inlaw is a general district manager for the whole east coast.
Been there 25years im gonna have to call her!
I also 2 years ago got a delta backyard buck 3-d small deer target for $59
I didnt check last year,but usually im on top of those thing's
Also i can get anything they sell in hunting season from here out of the warehouse done it before,she got me a gun safe in june last year!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0043 (Custom).jpg (38.5 KB, 100 views)
__________________
kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
Arrows..beman ICS hunter
SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
FBSA-MEMBER
Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A
kbohunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:03 PM   #12
Holy Smokes
Senior Member
 
Holy Smokes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free
Posts: 6,713
Holy Smokes will become famous soon enoughHoly Smokes will become famous soon enough
Default

i shot tha morrell big bag and have had very good success with it.
I don't know how many covers I have put on it thu tha years.
__________________



Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps
Holy Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:06 PM   #13
Holy Smokes
Senior Member
 
Holy Smokes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free
Posts: 6,713
Holy Smokes will become famous soon enoughHoly Smokes will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
I buy bag targets made here locally for $30. But if you want to make one then I would suggest get yourself a couple 2X10's, all thread or motorcycle straps and some old strips of carpet or cardboard about 10 inches wide and as long as your 2X10's. Put board on bottom and top of a stack of cardboard or carpet and use the strap or all thread to pull boards together tight.
We use a product that they put on sidewall new construction and called blackboard and cut em those strips and tighten em down on top of each other. just re tighten as they wear.
__________________



Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps
Holy Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2004 3DShoots.com