Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 09-15-2005, 01:22 PM   #1
joelklindworth

joelklindworth is on a distinguished road
Default Changing Mathews grip?

Im having torque issues with my Switchback. Any ideas on switching to a smaller grip, or taping the riser.
joelklindworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 06:21 AM   #2
glenny

glenny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to glenny
Default Shrewd....or loesh.

I would look into a shrewd or loesh grip,they are about 40-50 bucks.I know that the shrewd is a metal grip,obviously the best one to put on there in my opinion(I shot a switchback with one on there)but the hand might get a little frosty in the stand.
I personaly have sanded a mathews gip down to exactly the way I liked it.I kept widdelling away on it with a belt sander an demel until I got it the way It felt the best.
I do however know hat there is not alot of wood to take off on the upper inside pat of the grip,don't go through it or there will be a hole.
I used a solidwood dye and then used spar marine varnish(do not stir(bubbles)sanded it and applied a second coat,and it looked and felt way better than the original because it fit MY hand,I recommend this,but...
If your not the carpenter type,the limbsaver rubber does work,but being absolutely nothing but rubber,It might make the torque issue quite possibly worse because when you draw your bow back,the rubber tends to keep you hand exactly there in that position and you cannot move it/or it don't always go in the same position around the grip to reduce torque,but increase it.
I have the smooth limbsaver material on my hunting bow,once it is was on there for a while,I noticed the problem so I just slide it down a bit so when I do draw it back it goes into the groove of the palm everytime the same.
No matter which way you go,I m sure you will find happiness eventually with a little experimenation and shooting time.
glenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 09:31 AM   #3
joelklindworth

Default Awsome

thanks Glenny, great help. I went ahead and sanded the grip down with a moto tool and sanded it down. I staind it with a 27 year old stain and oil that I got from my dad that he used on a old muzleloader kit. I stink at woodworking, but I took my time and I must say, It looks awsome. And I shot the best 3d score Ive ever shot last weekend.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:25 PM   #4
glenny

glenny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to glenny
Default I know it is probably the best thing to do to it.

Some people are plain scared to do such a thing.
Congratulations,
I hope that now that you have done that you continue to shoot even better.It doesn't take much to completely change the whole bow just by swapping a grip out or doing so.
I had to take it on and off it about 15 times to get it perfect.
drive one home for me this season.....
later.
glenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 03:10 PM   #5
archeryhunter6

archeryhunter6 is on a distinguished road

I have had a mathews in the past and I also had problems with tork. You probably are trying to paper tune and seeing it in the paper, but when you shoot at 20 yards or even 30 its right on. I have a solution put on a different hand grip. The leusch grip has the advantage because when you put your hand on the grip it automatically makes your wrist, and elbow lock in, which prevents tork. If that doesn't work then you should try loosing the wrist strap around riser. You could also loosen your hand grip on the riser. Try to apply more pressure to the outside, inside, or with the heel of your palm. Let me know how it goes
archeryhunter6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 03:12 PM   #6
archeryhunter6

archeryhunter6 is on a distinguished road
Default mathews grip reply

I have had a mathews in the past and I also had problems with tork. You probably are trying to paper tune and seeing it in the paper, but when you shoot at 20 yards or even 30 its right on. I have a solution put on a different hand grip. The leusch grip has the advantage because when you put your hand on the grip it automatically makes your wrist, and elbow lock in, which prevents tork. If that doesn't work then you should try loosing the wrist strap around riser. You could also loosen your hand grip on the riser. Try to apply more pressure to the outside, inside, or with the heel of your palm. Let me know how it goes
archeryhunter6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:41 AM   #7
joelklindworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by archeryhunter6

After modifying the grip, I switched to a low grip. It made a world of difference. Thanks for all the help.