Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 05-21-2007, 09:24 AM   #1
big scores
banned from AT

big scores is on a distinguished road
Default 2 things that sucked about Ibo @ Beford

Let me start out by saying I had a great time!! Beautiful weather, beautiful ranges,and beautiful women...
Congrats to the IBO for a great shoot.
but there are two things that sucked.
#1 If you were not shooting, say just a wife or friend that wanted to watch you shoot, the IBO was charging $10 for them just to walk along with you!.
Now after I just payed $165 to the IBO to shoot, it was an extra $10 for my buddy to watch.
#2 All 70 or 80 semi-pro shooters had to meet at 8 am. Then we were all sent to the same range at the same time. My group was one of the last one called, but ended up the last group out. And an hour and 45 min. later, We got to shoot our first target. And on target #2, people who were on their second range caught us. So we were on target 2 they were on target 12, and they started an hour later than us.
steiner optics
custom bow equipment
big scores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:32 AM   #2
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

$10 to watch??

thats complete crap right there....
Old 05-21-2007, 09:44 AM   #3
big scores
banned from AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
$10 to watch??

thats complete crap right there....
I know. I would like to know who thought that one up. Bet they were the ones takin home the cash.
steiner optics
custom bow equipment
Old 05-21-2007, 09:45 AM   #4
Williamstd

Williamstd is on a distinguished road

I agree on both points. I bet the $10 fee for guests was to buy insurance for them. I go to a RC Jet show each year and they sell pit passes for anyone that wants to get up close and that money goes for insurance.

With most all of the shots set-up to be "Shoot and Continue", it would hard to do a shotgun start, but it seems like something could be done to improve the backup at the start.
Williamstd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:49 AM   #5
xxSPOTTSxx
"THE REALITY CHECK"

xxSPOTTSxx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by big scores View Post
I know. I would like to know who thought that one up. Bet they were the ones takin home the cash.
No no one pocketed any money the IBO has always charged 10 and why insurance cost if they have paid then they are covered. What sucked for me was the fact that rinehart targets is all i ever see and with the mckenzie buy out the kills were plenty different from what we are use to.
xxSPOTTSxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:47 AM   #6
jcmorgan31
Prodigal Son

jcmorgan31 will become famous soon enoughjcmorgan31 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Let me start out by saying I had a great time!! Beautiful weather, beautiful ranges,and beautiful women...
#1 If you were not shooting, say just a wife or friend that wanted to watch you shoot, the IBO was charging $10 for them just to walk along with you!.
Now after I just payed $165 to the IBO to shoot, it was an extra $10 for my buddy to watch.
#2 All 70 or 80 semi-pro shooters had to meet at 8 am. Then we were all sent to the same range at the same time. My group was one of the last one called, but ended up the last group out. And an hour and 45 min. later, We got to shoot our first target. And on target #2, people who were on their second range caught us. So we were on target 2 they were on target 12, and they started an hour later than us.
If everyone followed the 2 minute rule, things would go a lot faster for everyone involved...

I understand your pain, but your pro/semi pros bring it on yourselves. We had a boy shooting in a youth class get behind 4 groups of pros sunday. It took the kid 4 hours to shoot his final 10 targets......
Old 05-21-2007, 11:58 AM   #7
jcmorgan31
Prodigal Son

jcmorgan31 will become famous soon enoughjcmorgan31 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxSPOTTSxx View Post
No no one pocketed any money the IBO has always charged 10 and why insurance cost if they have paid then they are covered. What sucked for me was the fact that rinehart targets is all i ever see and with the mckenzie buy out the kills were plenty different from what we are use to.
I'm sure their insurance covers IBO members. The $10 fee might be to cover non-members. Just speculation, but non-members would not be covered under their policy. I guess they could just charge walkers $25 to be IBO members and let them walk the range.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:17 PM   #8
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmorgan31 View Post
If everyone followed the 2 minute rule, things would go a lot faster for everyone involved...

I understand your pain, but your pro/semi pros bring it on yourselves. We had a boy shooting in a youth class get behind 4 groups of pros sunday. It took the kid 4 hours to shoot his final 10 targets......
2 minuets is a long time to take on a target.....and if you are last in your group.....you cant tell me you need the full ten minuets anyway......you have seen the target for what like 6-8 minuets at the minimum.....
Old 05-21-2007, 12:19 PM   #9
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't seen any scores posted yet. Anyone have the tops ten from some of the classes?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 12:58 PM   #10
jcmorgan31
Prodigal Son

Quote:
2 minuets is a long time to take on a target.....and if you are last in your group.....you cant tell me you need the full ten minuets anyway......you have seen the target for what like 6-8 minuets at the minimum.....
You'd think that the pros would take less time wouldn't you? Aren't they the masters of judging yardage? If I take 2 minutes it's because I suck at judging yardage and I have to redo it 10 or 15 times and then average out the 10 or 15 different yardages I've gotten. Most of these guys look at the target and automatically "know" the yardage. They should have seen enough of these targets to know where the 11 ring is. A quick glance through the binos should do the trick. To nock an arrow draw and shoot should take about 30-45 seconds at the most. The rest of it must be their efforts to make sure everyone knows they are there and are "important".....
Old 05-21-2007, 01:09 PM   #11
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
You'd think that the pros would take less time wouldn't you? Aren't they the masters of judging yardage? If I take 2 minutes it's because I suck at judging yardage and I have to redo it 10 or 15 times and then average out the 10 or 15 different yardages I've gotten. Most of these guys look at the target and automatically "know" the yardage. They should have seen enough of these targets to know where the 11 ring is. A quick glance through the binos should do the trick. To nock an arrow draw and shoot should take about 30-45 seconds at the most. The rest of it must be their efforts to make sure everyone knows they are there and are "important".....
that or they are having a tuff time, deciding which shoulder to carry there chair on......

do they bring chairs to IBO events or is it only ASA.....I have never been to one....so thats why I ask....
Old 05-21-2007, 01:59 PM   #12
big scores
banned from AT

Quote:
ok, you have 80 guys shooting, first group out is fine, last group out has a 160 minute wait for each guy to take 2 minutes to shoot. So we waited 1 3/4 hours, about 45 minutes less than if everyone was taking 2 minutes.
steiner optics
custom bow equipment
Old 05-21-2007, 03:08 PM   #13
jcmorgan31
Prodigal Son

Quote:
that or they are having a tuff time, deciding which shoulder to carry there chair on......

do they bring chairs to IBO events or is it only ASA.....I have never been to one....so thats why I ask....
Chairs, umbrellas, coolers........you get the point.

The hardest part is making sure there is adequate golf cart parking at each set of stakes.....
Old 05-21-2007, 04:13 PM   #14
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:

The hardest part is making sure there is adequate golf cart parking at each set of stakes.....
Old 05-21-2007, 08:56 PM   #15
whitetail99

whitetail99 is on a distinguished road
Talking

I would love to have a golf cart at one of these shoots!$$$ and pay for it
whitetail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:12 PM   #16
dano1977

dano1977 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The back-up your speaking of is already being discussed.(Sat. night.) Do you have a good way to fix it? Tee times won't work. We haven't really found a good way to fix it yet, but, we know about it. A friend of mine shot the same class as you, he said not everyone had to wait. It does suck, but no one seems to have an answer.
Gods Country Outdoors
Ranger custom bowstrings
dano1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:28 PM   #17
whitetail99

whitetail99 is on a distinguished road
Talking

More dedicated class ranges Only HC coarse. Pro only coarse. Open only coarse.
whitetail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:55 PM   #18
dano1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail99 View Post
More dedicated class ranges Only HC coarse. Pro only coarse. Open only coarse.
It is already like that somewhat. The pros only shoot at the fairgrounds on Sunday so they can mingle with the ams. (bad idea in my opinion.) Do you realize how many classes there are? It already takes over 2000 man hours to put the shoot on! There is a list of the number of shooters per class from previous years, they are split up so that there should be an equal amount per range. I don't think setting up 30 ranges with 40 targets in each one is possible.
Gods Country Outdoors
Ranger custom bowstrings
Old 05-21-2007, 10:09 PM   #19
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano-c4 View Post
It is already like that somewhat. The pros only shoot at the fairgrounds on Sunday so they can mingle with the ams. (bad idea in my opinion.) Do you realize how many classes there are? It already takes over 2000 man hours to put the shoot on! There is a list of the number of shooters per class from previous years, they are split up so that there should be an equal amount per range. I don't think setting up 30 ranges with 40 targets in each one is possible.
yup what he said.....
Old 05-22-2007, 11:12 AM   #20
big scores
banned from AT

Quote:
The back-up your speaking of is already being discussed.(Sat. night.) Do you have a good way to fix it? Tee times won't work. We haven't really found a good way to fix it yet, but, we know about it. A friend of mine shot the same class as you, he said not everyone had to wait. It does suck, but no one seems to have an answer.
we all had to start on range O, while range M and P sat empty. They could have split the semi pro's up to start on 2 different ranges. ANd then the Pro's on the other two ranges. Just a thought. I don't know exactly what ranges every class there shot.
steiner optics
custom bow equipment
Old 05-22-2007, 03:25 PM   #21
Ronhop
RIP

Ronhop is on a distinguished road

Quote:

That's too funny...

Over here you'd have to have a golf cart with 4 wheel drive, front and rear lockers, at least a 4" suspension lift and 4 35" mudders mounted on those puny rims...

Ron
Ronhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:19 PM   #22
dano1977

Quote:
we all had to start on range O, while range M and P sat empty. They could have split the semi pro's up to start on 2 different ranges. ANd then the Pro's on the other two ranges. Just a thought. I don't know exactly what ranges every class there shot.
That was brought up, and this is what was said.
If they start them at different ranges, wouldn't they be meeting groups who have already shot the range they are headed to? How would you keep them from passing on info to their buddys?
Gods Country Outdoors
Ranger custom bowstrings

Last edited by dano1977; 05-22-2007 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:24 PM   #23
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
That was brought up, and this is what was said.
If they start them at different ranges, wouldn't they be meeting groups who have already shot the range they are headed to? How would you keep them from passing on info to their buddys?
couldnt you post a couple of range officials at the junction points......and if they talk....they go home......plain and simple......
Old 05-22-2007, 06:31 PM   #24
jcmorgan31
Prodigal Son

I would also think that there would be a lot of complaining when guys have to walk from the last set of 10 targets back to the first set of 10 targets.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:15 AM   #25
big scores
banned from AT

Quote:
I would also think that there would be a lot of complaining when guys have to walk from the last set of 10 targets back to the first set of 10 targets.
The ranges weren't set up like that. They were all the same distance from the club house.
And I can't believe everyone thinks everyone else cheats. What is our sport coming too.....
steiner optics
custom bow equipment
Old 05-23-2007, 11:35 AM   #26
jcmorgan31
Prodigal Son

I don't think everyone cheats, but I know that there are some that do. Most of the pros and semi-pros that I know are great people that I doubt would cheat. However, it is a fact that several years ago, cheating was going on, which is why you guys had to shoot 10 at the fairgrounds in the first place. It would make life easier for everyone involved if you could just shoot all 40 at the club grounds and stay away from the fairgrounds. Hopefully they will figure out a way to do that next year.