Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 05-21-2007, 09:07 PM   #1
KYHUNTER

KYHUNTER is on a distinguished road
Default Recurve Shooters

Hello to all, I am new to this site, and was wanting some honest opinions or suggestions. I have been bowhunting for about 14 years now, and am thinking of getting into shooting a recurve (but probably not for 3D). I am not going to got the traditional route at first (shooting off the shelf, or with open sights), so it would need to have all the hardware to make this possible. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
KYHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:11 PM   #2
Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes will become famous soon enoughHoly Smokes will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYHUNTER View Post
Hello to all, I am new to this site, and was wanting some honest opinions or suggestions. I have been bowhunting for about 14 years now, and am thinking of getting into shooting a recurve (but probably not for 3D). I am not going to got the traditional route at first (shooting off the shelf, or with open sights), so it would need to have all the hardware to make this possible. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Not much on them recuves anymore. We shot em in tha early 70s till tha compounds came out. Just had a recurve bow and some cedar arrows a glove and shot.

I did'nt even know what a nock point was.

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps
Holy Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:18 PM   #3
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

I can't suggest a particlar model, but don't go too heavy on the lbs. It's tougher to draw a 60lb recurve than compound. I don't know what your DL might be, but if your tall and/or long armed, stick with at least a 62" bow. I'm 6 feet tall and a 58" recurve puts a hurtin on the fingers. Ebay might be a good choice if you want to jump in cheap. Get an old Ben Pearson or Shakespeare in about 35-40 lbs, get a chepo screw on recurve sight, a stick on rest, and have at it. This would be your first recurve?
red44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:21 PM   #4
kbohunt
are u a fat boy?

kbohunt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kbohunt
Default RE-curve

Quote:
HA,bud
I just got back to a recurve for fun.
Are you asking about a recurve set-up with sights & stuff
If you are i would get a metal risor and recurve limbs like a takedown.
I dont see many recurve & long bow shooters use sights!
Hope that answers some questions and

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
Arrows..beman ICS hunter
SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
FBSA-MEMBER
Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A
kbohunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:25 PM   #5
KYHUNTER

I'm 6'0 tall. I currently shoot 71 lbs @ a 28 inch draw. As far as the sights and rest go, my buddy started shooting a recurve last year, and had good success with a WB and a single sight. after he got pretty comfortable, he took the sight off. and yes, this will be the first one i own, but not the first time i've shot.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:30 PM   #6
KYHUNTER

Getting close to my bed time, anyways, thanks again so far. i'll check back tomorrow. looks like a pretty cool site!
Old 05-21-2007, 09:31 PM   #7
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

brokenarrow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
First Welcome to the forum...
Fred Bear made a super kodiak hunter with accessory mounts...A friend of mine used to shoot a PSE Impala that I liked...You could mount a sight and rest on that...What's your price range???

brokenarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:31 PM   #8
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

Nighty night.
red44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:37 PM   #9
kbohunt
are u a fat boy?

kbohunt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kbohunt
Default Recurve!

Quote:
I'm 6'0 tall. I currently shoot 71 lbs @ a 28 inch draw. As far as the sights and rest go, my buddy started shooting a recurve last year, and had good success with a WB and a single sight. after he got pretty comfortable, he took the sight off. and yes, this will be the first one i own, but not the first time i've shot.
When ya get the bow ya like try 3 fingers underneath the arrow & lookin down the shaft, thats the way i shoot its not that hard & start at 10yds & as you feel comfortable start moveing back.
I just got back into it because i want to shoot tournaments in 2 classes
IM back to 30yds after a short time.
Good luck.

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
Arrows..beman ICS hunter
SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
FBSA-MEMBER
Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A
kbohunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:53 PM   #10
KYHUNTER

First Welcome to the forum...
Fred Bear made a super kodiak hunter with accessory mounts...A friend of mine used to shoot a PSE Impala that I liked...You could mount a sight and rest on that...What's your price range???

I know they can cost as much as you're willing to spend, but I'm not going to spend more that say 400-500 bucks. I've seen a lot of models for under 300.00, but i know very little about any of this. Should I try a fiberglass or wood? Is it more of a preference thing or is one more benefical than the other?
Old 05-22-2007, 07:08 PM   #11
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

brokenarrow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I know they can cost as much as you're willing to spend, but I'm not going to spend more that say 400-500 bucks. I've seen a lot of models for under 300.00, but i know very little about any of this. Should I try a fiberglass or wood? Is it more of a preference thing or is one more benefical than the other?
I don't know of any advantage as far as fiberglass vs. wood... A wooden bow is usually more expensive...PSE and Hoyt make some nice takedown bows that you can mount acc. on...
http://www.pse-archery.com/cat.php?k=60393&sk=60393
http://www.hoyt.com/products/recurves.tpl

brokenarrow is offline   Reply With Quote