Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 09-22-2005, 11:40 PM   #1
Woggy

Woggy is on a distinguished road
Default Replacing bowstring

I'm looking at replacing my PSE Thunderflite Express' bow string myself. What I'm not sure about is when I install the new string do I have to twist the string prior? Any particular direction?? How many twists???

Almost sounds like the Tootsie Pop commercials "How many licks to get to the center??"

Thanks for any assistance in advance.

Paul
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Woggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 09:24 AM   #2
OKbowhunter

OKbowhunter is on a distinguished road

Most of the quality commecial bowstrings, like Winners Choice, Zebra, and Barracuda, are packaged with the correct number of twists.

What I do when installing a new string is to lay it out and measure it first before putting it on my bow. I am careful not to add or take away twists when doing this. I then put it on and check the ATA and brace height to make sure they are close to specs. If it is, I set up a rough level nock point and center shot and then shoot about 200 shots through it. I do this before fine tuning with the new string. I then check ATA and brace height again to check for string stretch. There is very little, if any, with today's quality strings. When it all checks out I then proceed to fine tuning my bow.

Also, if you shoot with a peep, after the 200 shots, you may need to add or take away 1-2 twists to get it to align correctly with your eye, and that's okay.

I'm sure there are others here that do things different, but this is what I do.
OKbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote