Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 07-02-2004, 09:34 PM   #1
Pinky

Pinky is on a distinguished road
Default How should a bow be balanced?

Could someone please help me in understanding how a bow should be balanced using stabilizers? What matters, and, what doesn't? Is there a rule of thumb?

My question is based primarily on my hunting bow. It is a Bow-Tech Patriot and the draw weight is 60#.

When I hold the bow undrawn, and without gripping it, it rotates off my hand with the upper limb going away from me. This is very noticeable.

When drawn, it seems stable. Actually, it feels like the bow needs some forward weight to help settle it on the target.

I am not using a stabilizer.

THX in advance - Pinky
Old 07-14-2004, 03:30 PM   #2
OutbackRuss

OutbackRuss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to OutbackRuss

a stabilizer would deff help you, the best thing to do is go to your bow shop and test several stabilizers on your bow, shoot it and see what feels best to you, because in the end thats what counts most. Also how do you like your bowtec bow? just wondering cause i ahve heard some good things about them.
Here's my setup Mathews Outback, Alpine Soft-Loc 5 arrow Quiver, Impact Solo-site, NAP Quicktune 2000 RG Arrow rest, Vibracheck stabilizer, Sims Ultra Limb Savers, Scott Mongoose NCS Release. Shooting Easton Axis Arrows (400's)

"The beast is dead, Long live the beast!"
OutbackRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 08:33 PM   #3
Pinky

Pinky is on a distinguished road

Outback....I really like the Bow Tech. It fits me better than any bow I have tried to date.

At 59# it launches my Easton A/C/C 3-39/440's (29"+ the half out and 50 grain field point) at 261 fps. It flies my Easton Kinetic A/C 340's (29" less point) with a 100 grain broadhead at 238 fps. Plenty fast for me!

I think it was Chris that told me that the 340's were over spined for the rig. That is why I bought the A/C/C's. And man do they fly great! THX Chris.

I did order a stabilizer for the bow. I had the good fortune of shooting with a gent, at the North American Bowhunters Jamboree in Union Grove, NC, that was using the "Specialty Archery Products 'Super Stix' 12 inch" stabilizer. The moveable weight really caught my eye. CLICK HERE to see the stabilizer

I am shooting the bow in 3-D to get a real good feel for it before deer season opens. It is hunt ready, no target stuff.

I'll let you know what the stabilizer did when I get it.

-Pinky
Old 07-15-2004, 12:31 AM   #4
OutbackRuss

OutbackRuss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to OutbackRuss

awesome man, hope that stabilizer works well for ya, im sure it will.
Here's my setup Mathews Outback, Alpine Soft-Loc 5 arrow Quiver, Impact Solo-site, NAP Quicktune 2000 RG Arrow rest, Vibracheck stabilizer, Sims Ultra Limb Savers, Scott Mongoose NCS Release. Shooting Easton Axis Arrows (400's)

"The beast is dead, Long live the beast!"
OutbackRuss is offline   Reply With Quote