Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Clubhouse Lounge > Offtopic

Old 03-08-2007, 01:15 PM   #1
Baraboohunter

Baraboohunter is on a distinguished road
Default Trail Cam

Just wondering what everyones opinion was on trail cams. Which cam do you think is the best value?
Baraboohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:54 PM   #2
goldflinger

goldflinger is on a distinguished road

My son bought a 300 dollar Cudde Back. It worked real good for a few months. It was a digital so we saved on film. But it screwed up after a while. It would take a picture every 30 seconds or so. Haven't been able to get ahold of any one at their service dept to get it fixed.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:40 PM   #3
Baraboohunter

Baraboohunter is on a distinguished road

ya i know the cudde backs are good but not sure if i wanna spend 300 on somethin that doesnt last
Baraboohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:01 PM   #4
STRO
get'n rid of target panic

STRO is on a distinguished road

I have been using two stealth cam 35mm cameras and am happy with them. What I don't like about them is having to buy and develop film. I use them a lot in the summer and fall, practically up all the time then. I just bought a digital stealth cam and can't wait to put it up when i get it. I bought it used from archery talk, for a pretty good price. Keep yours eyes open and a good deal will come up. I found a good website that does independant testing on practically all digital cameras. www.chasingame.com. Their tests look pretty indepth as far as trigger speed, quality of picture, and sensitivity of sensor. The only thing they really didn't test was battery life. I would look for a trigger speed of less then 3 seconds and good battery life. You may spend more upfront but you will save a lot in the long run if you plan on using the camera a lot. Trust me, once you get some good pictures back you will have that thing up all the time.

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor
STRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:08 AM   #5
scottg
Huntin Junkie

scottg is on a distinguished road

Try the Wildview 2.0. It is made by Stealthcam. I have 3 of them and they take great pics. I just got a new one on ebay for $53.50. Severa guys that I hunt with have sold their more expensive cameras and bought the Wildview 2.0. It is a no nonsense camera. No programing, just a few switches. They use a SD card. The only problem that I have is when you change the batteries, you loose the time and date. Cam uses 4 C-cell batteries and I run about a 2 weeks on one set of batteries. They do not have the reaction time of the more expensive cameras, but we use them in food plots and mineral sites and scrapes. PM me and I will send you some pictures taken with them.

I picked up my first 2 at Sams Wholesale Club for $100 with batteries and a 128 mb SD card.

If you can read this, thank a teacher
If you can read this in english, thank a soldier.

08 82nd Airborne, 29" - 60 lbs - 300 fps
Octane Hostage Pro
Octane quiver
G5 XR .019 sights, Meta peep
Sims S-coil
Carbon Force Radial X-weav, Rage 3-blade - 390 grn

06 Tribute, 27.5" - 284 fps
scottg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:04 AM   #6
scottg
Huntin Junkie

Name:  SUNP00842.JPG
Views: 53
Size:  80.4 KB

Heres a pic from last year. Wildview 2.0

Octane Hostage Pro
Octane quiver
Sims S-coil

Old 06-12-2007, 08:20 AM   #7
Ronhop
RIP

Ronhop is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottg View Post
Try the Wildview 2.0. It is made by Stealthcam. I have 3 of them and they take great pics. I just got a new one on ebay for $53.50. Severa guys that I hunt with have sold their more expensive cameras and bought the Wildview 2.0. It is a no nonsense camera. No programing, just a few switches. They use a SD card. The only problem that I have is when you change the batteries, you loose the time and date. Cam uses 4 C-cell batteries and I run about a 2 weeks on one set of batteries. They do not have the reaction time of the more expensive cameras, but we use them in food plots and mineral sites and scrapes. PM me and I will send you some pictures taken with them.

I picked up my first 2 at Sams Wholesale Club for $100 with batteries and a 128 mb SD card.
I have a couple of older versions (1.0 ?) of the Wildview trail cameras and they work really well, especially for the money. I bought mine a couple of years ago from Menards for about $50 each. The only issue I have is they chew up batteries like no tomorrow. I can't run 2 weeks, I'm more like 1 week...

Scottg, do you know anyone that set up a gell cell and solar charger to one of those ? I understand and can wire one up but I was just wondering if you or anyone you know tried it. If so how did it work ?
Last season I ran through about 8-10 sets of 4 batteries each.

Ouch in the pocket book...

Ron

Last edited by Ronhop; 06-12-2007 at 08:23 AM.
Ronhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:36 AM   #8
scottg
Huntin Junkie

I don't know about the 1.0 camera. The 2.0 has a 12 volt DC port on the side. I see no reason why you could not plug into that port with a 12 volt DC power source. They sell the 12 V battery for the cameras and they are rechargeable. I just use the lithium ion reghargable C-cell batteries in mine and I get 3 to 4 weeks on a set of batteries. I get 2 weeks on Duracell.

Octane Hostage Pro
Octane quiver
Sims S-coil