Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 06-21-2007, 12:02 AM   #1
Wheely
Wheely Threads

Wheely has a spectacular aura aboutWheely has a spectacular aura about
Default blurred peeps

Do you people have trouble with your peep being blurry in low light, like shaded areas? I do, I can see the shadow of it, but it makes it hard to center things when it is blurred
Wheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:29 AM   #2
Sniper

Sniper is on a distinguished road

The circle of the peep should always be a little blurry. You should be focusing on the FRONT SIGHT PIN when you aim and prepare to release. You may be having trouble because your peep aperture is too small for low light. I had trouble with mine during a DART league, and went to a larger aperture. If you put the slightly blurry outer ring of the peep right on top of the in-focus front sight ring, as you should, and can't accomodate a slightly larger aperture hole,get a larger front sight, like a larger size HHA one. You are able to use a larger peep aperture that way and everything fits right in the sight alignment side of things.. I've also seen some experienced shooters carry a box of different sized peeps on the course, and actually swap out a couple times because of the hole being too small, or too large, for the light conditions. Larger apertures are absolutely required for early and late hunting under the trees. Nothing is worse that no shot because you can't see through a tiny aperture to shoot a game animal.
If you don't yet use one, get a Specialty Archery Hooded Peep. They are great.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:39 AM   #3
Ronhop
RIP

Ronhop is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
The circle of the peep should always be a little blurry. You should be focusing on the FRONT SIGHT PIN when you aim and prepare to release. You may be having trouble because your peep aperture is too small for low light. I had trouble with mine during a DART league, and went to a larger aperture. If you put the slightly blurry outer ring of the peep right on top of the in-focus front sight ring, as you should, and can't accomodate a slightly larger aperture hole,get a larger front sight, like a larger size HHA one. You are able to use a larger peep aperture that way and everything fits right in the sight alignment side of things.. I've also seen some experienced shooters carry a box of different sized peeps on the course, and actually swap out a couple times because of the hole being too small, or too large, for the light conditions. Larger apertures are absolutely required for early and late hunting under the trees. Nothing is worse that no shot because you can't see through a tiny aperture to shoot a game animal.
If you don't yet use one, get a Specialty Archery Hooded Peep. They are great.

That's good advice there...
I recently got a non-hooded version of that peep with a set of 4 apertures. I really didn't realize what happens when you change apertures against light level. It's been an interesting thing to experiment with.

Ron
Ronhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:18 PM   #4
Sniper

Sniper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
That's good advice there...
I recently got a non-hooded version of that peep with a set of 4 apertures. I really didn't realize what happens when you change apertures against light level. It's been an interesting thing to experiment with.

Ron
Try the hooded one when you can, preferably soon. The apertures fit the same, and in the bright overhead summer sun it comes in handy. They weigh a little more, but the improvement is great.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote