Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 06-24-2007, 02:19 AM   #1
Major257

Major257 is on a distinguished road
Default Shaft selection and FOB question

I shoot a Mathews Q2 bow with a Trophy Ridge dropzone rest I am not sure what # age it is but I think it is between 60 and 70. I have been looking into building my own arrows and am getting a little confused about shafts, ICS verses the ones that use X nocks. I don't really understand the difference or the benefits of either.

The other question is about this thing I found called the FOB. Has anyone tried these with G5 Montec broadheads? They look to good to be true.

Thanks for the help.
Matt
Major257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 08:18 AM   #2
Ronhop
RIP

Ronhop is on a distinguished road

You need to know the peak draw weight and the draw length you need, minimally. You also need to understand what you will be using the bow for, hunting, target or both. The best thing to do is head to an archery pro shop with your bow and release and have them set it up for you. Once that's done, you'll know the draw weight and draw length and then you can choose an arrow with the proper spine and diameter for your setup and purpose along with an appropriate field point/broadhead.

An 'X' nock is a nock that fits the Beman and Easton Axis HIT (small diameter) arrows. They are designed primarily for hunting. The arrows that use ICS inserts are a bit larger diameter and do not use X nocks. You can get a ton of information from Easton's WEB site. www.eastonarchery.com That site also has a link to Beman's WEB site.

I don't have any experience with G5 broadheads so I can't help you there... I have seen them though and they look well made and tough.

Good luck.

Ron
Ronhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:20 AM   #3
Major257

thank you I will do that when I can. I may ask more stupid questions in the mean time as I am trying to learn. My bow and I are separated at the moment courtesy of the US Army. I will take your suggestions when I get home this fall from this sand box.
matt
Old 06-24-2007, 07:10 PM   #4
Ronhop
RIP

Ronhop is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major257 View Post
thank you I will do that when I can. I may ask more stupid questions in the mean time as I am trying to learn. My bow and I are separated at the moment courtesy of the US Army. I will take your suggestions when I get home this fall from this sand box.
matt
Well, thank you for serving our country and hang in there over there.

No question is stupid, it's the people who don't ask them who are stupid.

The only thing is that when you ask them you may not always get the right answer...

As such, the term ICS is not an insert as I metioned. I thought about that earlier and what that means is "internal component system"... Everything plugs into the shaft as opposed to the shaft plugging into the component. Make sense ?

The Beman and Easton HIT system use inserts that go all the way completely into the shaft. In fact when they are installed it looks like there are no inserts installed at all. You have to look down the front of the shaft to see them. 'Normal' internal inserts have a flange that goes over the front edge of the arrow shaft.

Hope that helps.

God speed and hope you get home safe.

Ron
Ronhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 01:09 AM   #5
Major257

Thanks Ron, that clears it up for me alot. My bow is already sighted in for 6075 Carbon Express arrows and 100 gr field pionts or montecs. I should be able to hunt with it when I get home just the way it is but I need to learn alot more before I am comfortable in conversation. Funny I have hunted for over 20 years and am just getting into this sport. I tried it 10 years or so ago and wasn't very successful. I think the carbon arrow thing helped me gain confidence knowning that they were straight or broke. Now I want to start making my own.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:34 AM   #6
Sniper

Sniper is on a distinguished road

The G5 montec is a great broadhead. Tough, sharp, well balanced, minimal planeing because of being relieved out, but enough metal left on the blade to not break if you hit a bone. Long enough edge and well sloped to "cut" through bone instead of jamming. They make a practice broadhead that lets you zero without wasting expensive sharp ones. For a fixed it is a excellent choice. Groups tight at longer ranges (50 yards +) as well as close in.
We appreciate your sacrifice. being separated from your bow and all. Rambo took his with him, when he went back to bring our boys home. Guess he just could'nt be parted from it.
Were you at least able to bring a Sand Wedge and a couple Titleists?
Good Luck, and Get Some!

Last edited by Sniper; 06-25-2007 at 01:47 AM.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:12 AM   #7
Major257

No I don't play golf but some of the guys did bring a couple of clubs over. I brought my fly tying equipment and spend alot of my off time tying trout flies. I could of had my bow shipped but I am supposed to be home for hunting season and don't trust the Army with shipping my bow on time. 3 more months or so and I'll be home. Thanks for the help and the tips.
Matt
Old 06-25-2007, 11:30 AM   #8
two_shoes
YOU! Get in my belly!

two_shoes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
Well, thank you for serving our country and hang in there over there.
God speed and hope you get home safe.

Ron
+1

Major257,

Thanks for serving our counrty!

-Judson
(aka two_shoes)
'06 Mathews Apex 7
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
-Thomas Jefferson

Eph. 2:8-10
two_shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:42 PM   #9
bone collector 9615

bone collector 9615 is on a distinguished road

even tho its already been said.....thanks man. tell everyone there with you the same.

06 alliegance,G5 sight, trophy taker rest
2007 elite envy G5 sight, rip cord rest
bone collector 9615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:26 PM   #10
Deezlin

Deezlin is on a distinguished road

I have been using the FOB with Monotec's they work good together. I really like the FOB for hunting. Some people don't like the facal contact and a few people are have rest clearance problems. I would contact Paul at starrflight.com with your FOB questions.
Deezlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:39 PM   #11
Sniper

Quote:
No I don't play golf but some of the guys did bring a couple of clubs over. I brought my fly tying equipment and spend alot of my off time tying trout flies. I could of had my bow shipped but I am supposed to be home for hunting season and don't trust the Army with shipping my bow on time. 3 more months or so and I'll be home. Thanks for the help and the tips.
Matt
So what kind of flies hatch ot of the Tigris and Euphrates?
Old 06-28-2007, 02:41 PM   #12
Sniper

Found out about the FOB's from the manager of a big area archery store. Junk. Gimmick. Noisy. Hell to get clearance past the riser.
Verdict: Stick with Blazers and Mini-Blazers
Old 06-28-2007, 02:57 PM   #13
Jay Are

Jay Are will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Found out about the FOB's from the manager of a big area archery store. Junk. Gimmick. Noisy. Hell to get clearance past the riser.
Verdict: Stick with Blazers and Mini-Blazers
Not any more junk than that whisker biscuit your using... I don't think you can rule them out as junk until you actually tried them. but I guess you can't since you have the WB on your bow.
Jay Are is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:09 PM   #14
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Are View Post
Not any more junk than that whisker biscuit your using... I don't think you can rule them out as junk until you actually tried them. but I guess you can't since you have the WB on your bow.
now that would be something to see....a FOB through a WB.....make sure you take video and when you recover post it up......
Old 06-28-2007, 07:58 PM   #15
Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Are View Post
If Moose says it is so. I believe him. And they only work with fall away rests.
I'll meet you at the Long Distance range at the club, Saturday 9 AM for a duel. 100 yards. I'll bring the biscuit.

Last edited by Sniper; 06-28-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:12 PM   #16
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
If Moose says it is so. I believe him. And they only work with fall away rests.
I'll meet you at the Long Distance range at the club, Saturday 9 AM for a duel. 100 yards. I'll bring the biscuit.
I will be there....but I must warn you I am deadly at 250 yrds......
Old 06-28-2007, 09:02 PM   #17
Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
I will be there....but I must warn you I am deadly at 250 yrds......
The 3D Shoot is Sunday. The duel, if accepted by wiseguy, is Saturday. Duels are usually private affairs, however. we would consider selling tickets. Winner take all. My understanding is FOBs suck. The biscuit is the biggest selling rest in our area, according to guys who know. It is a great hunting rest, and I practice with it because I shoot the same bows, rigs, arrows, and stabs for hunting and 3D. I don't need to prove myself against people who shoot pretty "target" bows with 70% or 80% letoff and 50 lb draws, using 6X lens to be able to see what they are doing. 65%, 70 lbs, and no lens for me. If I need that stuff, I'll need someone to change my Depends. and keep me from wandering into traffic.
As I said, I don't need to prove myself, but this time I will, with Jay Are.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:07 PM   #18
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
The 3D Shoot is Sunday. The duel, if accepted by wiseguy, is Saturday. Duels are usually private affairs, however. we would consider selling tickets. Winner take all. My understanding is FOBs suck. The biscuit is the biggest selling rest in our area, according to guys who know. It is a great hunting rest, and I practice with it because I shoot the same bows, rigs, arrows, and stabs for hunting and 3D. I don't need to prove myself against people who shoot pretty "target" bows with 70% or 80% letoff and 50 lb draws, using 6X lens to be able to see what they are doing. 65%, 70 lbs, and no lens for me. If I need that stuff, I'll need someone to change my Depends. and keep me from wandering into traffic.
As I said, I don't need to prove myself, but this time I will, with Jay Are.
lets make a little side wager for Sunday then......

My setup is as follows....

Prestige 61lbs
movable sight NO LENSE
65%let off
Drop away
its all black....

so really the only thing you might have to cry about is I may bring my Linejammers.....
Old 06-28-2007, 09:15 PM   #19
Sniper

Quote:
lets make a little side wager for Sunday then......

My setup is as follows....

Prestige 61lbs
movable sight NO LENSE
65%let off
Drop away
its all black....

so really the only thing you might have to cry about is I may bring my Linejammers.....
Could be done. 61lbs? Impressive poundage there! A "Target Bow". Wow! It will have to wait until after the shoot. The area behind the LD target would be in use, and last month some Bozos went under several caution taps and walked out right at the damn thing while we we using the area for a novelty. Don't want to shoot Bozos.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:28 PM   #20
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Could be done. 61lbs? Impressive poundage there! A "Target Bow". Wow! It will have to wait until after the shoot. The area behind the LD target would be in use, and last month some Bozos went under several caution taps and walked out right at the damn thing while we we using the area for a novelty. Don't want to shoot Bozos.
yeah but at 61 lbs its doing 299...I dont think you want me to shoot any more pounds....

Oh and by the way I shoot 61lbs because:

A. there is no need to shoot more than that in ANY hunting situation I am going to be in at this point in my life.....

B. I have relized you dont need to shoot 70lbs......to "kill foam, or paper"

C. I had an accident a few years back and crushed every disk in my back.....
I like to be able to move after a long day of shooting....
Old 06-28-2007, 09:43 PM   #21
papito
Petering it since 06

papito is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to papito

[QUOTE=BOWMAN;45352]yeah but at 61 lbs its doing 299...I dont think you want me to shoot any more pounds....

A. there is no need to shoot more than that in ANY hunting situation I am going to be in at this point in my life.....

I like to be able to move after a long day of shooting....[/QUOTE/]

Oh the back story....Why dont you tell that story BOWMAN oh friar of the tobaggan!!!!
Old 06-28-2007, 09:45 PM   #22
Sniper

Quote:
yeah but at 61 lbs its doing 299...I dont think you want me to shoot any more pounds....

Disability. What excuse # is that? I'm still doing rehab for a injury at the club in May. Big deal. But if you are compensating for your inadequacies already, well, I understand. You can shoot from the Ladies Tee. Is your scooter all charged up? Do you have enough Depends to make it down here? How about a low salt entree for lunch?
Old 06-28-2007, 09:50 PM   #23
papito
Petering it since 06

Quote:

BOWMAN and fis infinate wisdom a few years back decided that he was going to go over a big jump on a sled.....you can see were i'm going with this....BOWMAN hits jump....goes in air....loses sled....lands on back.....and gets hurt. He is lucky he didnt do more damage!!!
Old 06-28-2007, 09:53 PM   #24
papito
Petering it since 06

They need to make a budwiser commercial for that o

"heres to you oh......
Old 06-28-2007, 09:54 PM   #25
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by papito View Post
BOWMAN and fis infinate wisdom a few years back decided that he was going to go over a big jump on a sled.....you can see were i'm going with this....BOWMAN hits jump....goes in air....loses sled....lands on back.....and gets hurt. He is lucky he didnt do more damage!!!
to the ground......

boy you are in rare form.....watcha doin on Sunday??

wanna go show the boys in PA how its done???
Old 06-28-2007, 09:57 PM   #26
papito
Petering it since 06

Maby, what shoot????
Old 06-28-2007, 10:02 PM   #27
Sniper

Go ahead and fill up a bus. I am sure our targets won't get hurt. The shoot is Limerick Bowmen, if Bowman can get his heap rolling.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:08 PM   #28
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Go ahead and fill up a bus. I am sure our targets won't get hurt. The shoot is Limerick Bowmen, if Bowman can get his heap rolling.
heap is done and rolling I will be puulingout of the driveat 5 in the a:m.....yup thats right pete 5 comes twice a day dont it.....
Old 06-28-2007, 10:12 PM   #29
Sniper

Registration ends five minutes before you arrive.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:27 PM   #30
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Registration ends five minutes before you arrive.
thanks buddy.....I can see we are going to have a HOLY SMOKES large time.....you want me to bring the camera???

I take more pics than Jay Are.....
Old 06-28-2007, 10:31 PM   #31
Sniper

Take all the pictures you want. Each will be worth a thousand words on this site. We aren't shy. Wanna ride on the "Running Deer"?

Last edited by Sniper; 06-28-2007 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:37 PM   #32
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Take all the pictures you want. Each will be worth a thousand words on this site. We aren't shy. Wanna ride on the "Running Deer"?
"ride the running deer"???

what the heck does that mean???

has dredly been coming to the shoots naked again???
Old 06-28-2007, 10:42 PM   #33
Sniper

It means we have a 'Running Deer" target. As for Dredly, did you just slip up and spill the beans about something I doubt I want to hear about. Sounds like I might have nightmares.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:45 PM   #34
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
It means we have a 'Running Deer" target. As for Dredly, did you just slip up and spill the beans about something I doubt I want to hear about. Sounds like I might have nightmares.
no I just heard he is not allowed at Lancasters as he should up there at the big shoot they had and ran around naked as people were flinging arrows.... asking everyone to pull his finger
Old 06-28-2007, 10:54 PM   #35
Sniper

At the store or the club? Was alcohol involved, or is it a lifestyle choice?
Old 06-28-2007, 10:56 PM   #36
Sniper

Is this "Highjacking a Thread"?
Old 06-29-2007, 12:29 AM   #37
Major257

That's alright, I got what I needed awhile back in the thread. The owner of the Starlight company actually emailed me and said my set up is exactly what they made the FOB for. One thing that I liked is that the FOB and the nock come off at the point of impact on a pass through. I think that would be really good for evening or early morning when light is sparse. having the FOB and nock laying there would let you know you have a hit and look for the arrow later or in the morning if need be. I think I will try them. I don't have the tools to fletch yet and a doz of the FOBs is the same price as 36 quickspin veins. I thank you all for your support of my question and my service to the country. And Sniper, I am not near any of the rivers over here so I am not sure what insects come off the water, but I know that trying to fly fish with my body armor on wouldn't be very comfortable.
Later
Matt
Old 06-29-2007, 01:03 AM   #38
Sniper

Blazers and a Luminock for early and late shooting. They are like red tracers (I guess you know what they look like , right?) and stay lit all night and day after impact. Things are absolutely great for low-light shooting. I would stick with Blazers for a vane. Jigs are not as expensive as you think, (invest some of that Hostile Fire Pay), and very easy to use. They will pay for themselves pretty quick, and not having to wait for someone else to fletch your arrows is worth a great deal. But, experimentation is fun too.
When the situation is in doubt, Win the War. Stay safe and get some.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:25 AM   #39
Jay Are

Quote:
That's alright, I got what I needed awhile back in the thread. The owner of the Starlight company actually emailed me and said my set up is exactly what they made the FOB for. One thing that I liked is that the FOB and the nock come off at the point of impact on a pass through. I think that would be really good for evening or early morning when light is sparse. having the FOB and nock laying there would let you know you have a hit and look for the arrow later or in the morning if need be. I think I will try them. I don't have the tools to fletch yet and a doz of the FOBs is the same price as 36 quickspin veins. I thank you all for your support of my question and my service to the country. And Sniper, I am not near any of the rivers over here so I am not sure what insects come off the water, but I know that trying to fly fish with my body armor on wouldn't be very comfortable.
Later
Matt

Major,

Once you get a chance to shoot them for a while, I think most of us would like to know what you think of them... so when you get back, please keep us posted.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:38 AM   #40
Jay Are

Ok, Now back to our regular scheduled hijacked threadů

2 Inch Dot on the Delta Grizzly at 80 Yards. $5 per shot and winner takes all!!!! Bring whatever rig and/or set up you want.

Sniper, Let me correct you -- as for my set up it is 62lbs, 65% let-off and a 2 power scope.
As for handicaps --- I have an ingrown toenail that is growing fungus.

Anytime a man that shoots pink arrows and asks to ride the running deer... the answer should be "NO". Actually you are starting to worry me.