Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 06-26-2007, 09:00 AM   #1
'SIN'ERGY

'SIN'ERGY is on a distinguished road
Default IBO Pa State Champ "letdown"

This past weekend me and a buddy went up Clearfield Pa to shoot the IBO State Champ at Glendale Sportsmens Club. To call this shoot a disappointment would be an understatement. We arrived at the club on Sat. to shoot the course. After check in we go to the range to warm up, all the dilapidated bag targets they had on the range were facing a road that goes past the club, the 50 yard bag was on the embankment to the road. Shoot high accidently and cars better look out. So now we start the course, which had a very challenging layout with steep uphill shots and targets buried in darkness,which by the way whipped my butt. The bad part was the 30 targets looked they were old enough to have been shot by Fred Bear in the 60's. Most of them were not much on appearance but some had scoring areas tore up so badly that it was hard to score some arrows as the lines were gone. The IBO should be embarrasssed to have their name on this shoot as a State Champ. Maybe I'm wrong but when I drive 4.5 hours to a IBO sanctioned STATE CHAMP I expected a better event. Does anyone from the IBO actually go out to these clubs and see what they put up before they sanction these events or is it just who pays for that title State Champ. This club had no business holding a State Championship,it is stuff like this that makes the IBO look bad. I'll give credit to the guy who seemed to be running the show by himself as he was very nice.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:11 AM   #2
Dredly
Site Guru

Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly

Quote:
Originally Posted by "SIN"ERGY View Post
This past weekend me and a buddy went up Clearfield Pa to shoot the IBO State Champ at Glendale Sportsmens Club. To call this shoot a disappointment would be an understatement. We arrived at the club on Sat. to shoot the course. After check in we go to the range to warm up, all the dilapidated bag targets they had on the range were facing a road that goes past the club, the 50 yard bag was on the embankment to the road. Shoot high accidently and cars better look out. So now we start the course, which had a very challenging layout with steep uphill shots and targets buried in darkness,which by the way whipped my butt. The bad part was the 30 targets looked they were old enough to have been shot by Fred Bear in the 60's. Most of them were not much on appearance but some had scoring areas tore up so badly that it was hard to score some arrows as the lines were gone. The IBO should be embarrasssed to have their name on this shoot as a State Champ. Maybe I'm wrong but when I drive 4.5 hours to a IBO sanctioned STATE CHAMP I expected a better event. Does anyone from the IBO actually go out to these clubs and see what they put up before they sanction these events or is it just who pays for that title State Champ. This club had no business holding a State Championship,it is stuff like this that makes the IBO look bad. I'll give credit to the guy who seemed to be running the show by himself as he was very nice.

Sounds crappy but I think IBO will take anyone that ponies up the money. How many people were there?
Old 06-26-2007, 09:17 AM   #3
Ronhop
RIP

Ronhop is on a distinguished road

Yeah, that sounds overall stupid.
Heck, one of the more unorganized clubs here has a better setup than what you describe and, as far as I know, they have never hosted any sanctioned events... It's just a bunch of locals having fun.

Ron
Ronhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:39 AM   #4
Wheely
Wheely Threads

Wheely has a spectacular aura aboutWheely has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like the shoot I went to on Sunday. The practice targets were paper plates stuck on hay bails or they didn't even have anything on the bail. The targets were really bad, couldn't hardly score or even see the spot.
Wheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:48 AM   #5
'SIN'ERGY

'SIN'ERGY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
Sounds crappy but I think IBO will take anyone that ponies up the money. How many people were there?
By the looks of the results they posted on AT they had a good turnout. They charged $30.00 for the shoot. They get to keep half and the IBO gets the other half. They said there was a 30% payback. For the amount of money this club makes for this shoot you would think they would provide better targets.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:37 AM   #6
Jay Are

Jay Are will become famous soon enough

I think IBO doesn’t care as long as they that get money and participation.

As for the clubs, there is a lot to be said and I can go on for pages…

I never shot at Glendale, but I imagine that they are struggling with the same thing every club faces. Decreasing in membership and less than 10% of the members volunteer at their club. Which may also lead to a few members making decisions for the club, instead of the majority due to lack of participation. Most clubs don’t run there facilities like a business, which leads to mismanagement (or allocation) of funds that should go back to the money makers of the club. i.e. – Clubs using 3D funds to rebuild a field course that no one shoots, instead of investing it back in 3D targets????

As you said, if it is a one man show, that means the rest of the members of the club don’t care enough to make sure that the image that is portrayed is positive (either by good targets, practice range or facilities). But when it comes to our clubs that we belong to, it is up to us (and not one person) to make sure that it remains strong and facilitates good/safe shooting experiences to the shooters of the club --- members and non members.

As I can go on and on with ramblings about this topic, I will end it short.
Jay Are is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:49 PM   #7
Sniper

Sniper is on a distinguished road

Like Jay Are said.
With the opening of crossbow use to anybody for hunting down here in southeast Pa, the number of Bowhunters has taken a big hit. There is no need to invest time and money into getting skillful with archery with those rules.
Practice ranges and indoor ranges should be #1 priorities for a club. They owe that to ALL the members who pay dues. Keeping them in GOOD shape needs foresight and planning. 3D is gravy, and a good, well-managed 3D is a benefit for members who have the good sense to participate, and a chance to expose non-members to see the facility and maybe stand for membership. Then you get new members. Care of 3D targets is expensive and time consuming. We know that for sure! It can be worth it financially if word gets out that targets and set-ups are good. That takes time. A bad reputation is tough to overcome, but can be done. We are doing it now, but boy, are we working our a$$es off, and fighting tooth and nail with the guys who let things deteriorate. I hope in the next couple years we can host some events. Not for the money, but to promote the sport we love. Several clubs in our area have quit 3D, and most are suffering great hardship. Especially the archery only clubs.
If we can stand the constant frustrations for another year, we should be Golden at Limerick Bowmen. If.

Last edited by Sniper; 06-26-2007 at 03:53 PM.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:59 PM   #8
whitetail99

whitetail99 is on a distinguished road

Make sure you and others contact the state rep and ask for results.
whitetail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:54 PM   #9
Sniper

Sniper is on a distinguished road

This is not the kind of critique I would want for my club.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote