Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 10-13-2005, 09:18 PM   #1
vince

vince is on a distinguished road
Default Heres a nightmare.

Sat in the treestand hunting 3 large bucks since end of aug. Finally get a broadside shot at one of them and the arrow only penetrates 4 inches.
I have been using mechnicals for the last couple of years this is the first time i have not put the arrow right through the deer. I did not hit the front shoulder because the front shoulder was out of my shooting lane when i made the shot. Afew things,there was some long grass between me and the buck didnt think it would be an issue though. Could i of hit a rib dead on and had the arrow deflect. Anybody have a thought on this. I am switching to cut on contact heads to hopefully avoid any futer problems. The only good thing is the animal will live.
vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 09:41 PM   #2
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

Just for our own info, what type of broadhead, type of bow, bow poundage, arrow weight & broadhead weight?

It's never fun to lose a deer that has been hit. If you hunt long enough eventually it will happen. If we were perfect shots, we would all be on the pro circuit making the big bucks!

As far as good mechanical heads. I have heard lots of good things about the snypers both 2blade and 3 blad as well as the spitfire & spitfire XP heads, and some of the rockets.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 10:03 PM   #3
vince

Default Thanx for the reply

I was shooting a browning eclipse 60 Pound draw weight Beaman ics 400 carbons I was shooting rocket expandables last year. Somebody gave me the ones im using this year for Christmas. I dont know the mfg name off the top of my head 3 blade inch and a half cut. I didnt think they would be a problem since i am shooting 60 pounds. Maybe the grass caught one of the blades on the way to the deer. All i know is i never want that to happen again. I think with a cut on contact broadhead a little grass would not be an issue. If the grass was the issue.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:30 AM   #4
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

I agree the grass could have been an issue. That said, depending on the speed of the bow, I would not recommend a 1.5" cut expandable for a 60# bow.

A 65# or above bow would be ok if your shooting a bow that was purchased in the last 5 years. If we knew your arrow weight and the chronographed speed of your bow, we could calculate the kinetic energy.

I am going to shoot a 1.5" cut Spitfire XP this year. However, I am pulling 67# and my bow produces 66.7 ft/lbs of kinetic energy.
I thought of one more thing. Did you papertune your bow? If the arrow isn't flying true, it will have an effect on penetration.

If you plan on shooting a fixed head, take a look at the slicktrick heads. They fly like darts, penetrate, and are tough as they come.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 03:13 PM   #5
vince

Default Purchased some cut on contact.

I purchased some Sonic broadheads from American Broadhead Co. If these perform as well as some of the reviews ive read i will be happy. As far as my bow goes i purchased it 4 years ago it was the top of the line bow by Browning then. I am going to sell it this winter. I was looking at a Pse Mach 12 or maybe a Mathews bow. I am not familiar with the mathews bows if you have any suggestions great. I want the bow to be 70 to 80 pounds peak weight. My Mach 4 was a 70 pound bow and i had no trouble. Thats the bow i had before the Browning. I sold it because i found it to noisy when shot.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:33 PM   #6
Next Ridge Over

Next Ridge Over is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Could i of hit a rib dead on and had the arrow deflect. Anybody have a thought on this.
Even with the lower KE you will blow through a rib even if it is dead on shooting fixed blades. Normally you will destroy one rib and slice through two more. Take a close look at the rib you "punch" out - the rib on each side will be sliced also. That was not the issue.

FIXED BLADES, FIXED BLADES, FIXED BLADES
Next Ridge Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:09 PM   #7
glenny

glenny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to glenny
Default Spitfire Xp proseries....are killers

They have a cutting blade on the head,which starts the slicing immediately.
I shot the one at 20 yards and it went through both lungs like butter,I shot the other at 15 and hit him quarting away through ribs guts and still blasted right through it all without the deer having a clue.
I would say it does matter what speed and kinetic energy you are punching.
If your anywhere near 265fps with a 400 grain arrow+unless you hit that boneball....it will go through... with just about any broadhead.
You have to understand this though,anything possible that can happen that you least think will happen on a deer can and will.
I know how some of the shots on a few deer I have made where nowhere perfect due to movement,angles and yardage.I feel the pain here.I changed my broadheads 6 times.Staying with these ones...they truly plow a hole that immediately kills them....
It's hard to wait for the perfect shot,sometimes it presents itself and sometimes it never will.I would rather wait for perfection if ya know what I mean,and don't get the luxury to always persue the same old buck time after time.
I would not blame it on any perticular thing though such as the broadhead....not working properly.so.
what if it did hit some grass?there is part of the answer to the question...
A arrow can go almost 45% if your deflected by even grass.I shot a doe right in the neck in a ground blind,she fell over at 40 yards,I thought I drilled the heart,
until I saw where I shot her at.Lucky but,that was a 20 yard shot that grass had a part in with fixed.
It is the chance you took to do what should have worked,now you can reasure yourself a fixed head would be better?
I think not,
It is just the way it goes if you ask me.
I hope you can atleast take this advice,they make all broadheads to work.Some just work better for different setups and situations.
glenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:18 PM   #8
CSS Shooter

CSS Shooter is on a distinguished road

Hey folks I am no expert by now means. But everything I have read on studies comparing fix to mech. says that you need to have at least 50#'s KE for mechs. to work well. But you should have at least sank the arrow in the sweet spot. Maybe not a pass through but from the sound of your setup you should have harvested the animal. I shoot Rocket Sidewinders 100gr. as well as 5 of my buddies. We have never had a problem with pass through. We have harvested over 35 Deer with this product with no problems.
Sounds to me like the grass may have caused your arrow to kick. I think you will like the Sonic heads.

2012 Bow Tech Pro Staff
Sword Pro Staff Vane Tech Pro Staff
Gold Tip Factory Staff Coffey marketing
A.S.A. IL. State Director
CSS Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote