Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum
 

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2007, 09:32 AM   #1
Dredly
Site Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Saylorsburg PA
Posts: 4,358
Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly
Default Local Club Advertising?

I was talking with Sniper a bit about my Local club which is approx 3 miles form my current house and about 4 1/2 from where I was born and raised... I'm 27 and I just heard about them last year because of this site (which they don't even post on anymore).

So how does your local club pull in more people? Internet? Local Shops? Word of Mouth?

I've been in every local archery store within a 50 mile radius and I've never heard of it until I found it on this site back when I initally signed up and looked around.

Here is a map of the area I live in, red box is me, yellow is where my parents live ( where I grew up) and green is the location of the club... its been there for years I guess
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img.jpg (106.7 KB, 120 views)
__________________
No I'm not dead
Dredly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:51 AM   #2
Ronhop
RIP
 
Ronhop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rock Island, IL
Posts: 3,967
Ronhop is on a distinguished road
Default

The shops around here have employees that are club members and in some cases trustees of the club. They all use a combination of word of mouth and in-store bullitin boards with club information, membership applications, shoot schedules, etc...

One shop that has regular indoor 5-spot and outdoor 3D leagues advertises using a big wrap on the side of his Dodge Durango with the shop's name and associated graphic on it. It's pretty neat actually and resembles the wraps that BASS pros are required to have on their boats at tournaments.

A lot of it is word of mouth though.

Ron
Ronhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:01 AM   #3
Dredly
Site Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Saylorsburg PA
Posts: 4,358
Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
The shops around here have employees that are club members and in some cases trustees of the club. They all use a combination of word of mouth and in-store bullitin boards with club information, membership applications, shoot schedules, etc...

One shop that has regular indoor 5-spot and outdoor 3D leagues advertises using a big wrap on the side of his Dodge Durango with the shop's name and associated graphic on it. It's pretty neat actually and resembles the wraps that BASS pros are required to have on their boats at tournaments.

A lot of it is word of mouth though.

Ron
Do you think there are any better ways of spreading the word? How are the turnouts at your shoots?
__________________
No I'm not dead
Dredly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:17 AM   #4
Ronhop
RIP
 
Ronhop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rock Island, IL
Posts: 3,967
Ronhop is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
Do you think there are any better ways of spreading the word? How are the turnouts at your shoots?
I would say they are decent (100-150), althought we have not had one so far this year to my knowledge since one club went 'private', whatever that means, and another club lost land use rights. There are 2 other clubs in the general area (within 50 miles) but do not use this site to advertise their shoots and I have no flyers for them. I know they exist, I just don't know how to get their names or any other information. I guess they don't care to expand their membership depth.

I'm not sure about ways of advertising aside from flyers in shops and sporting goods stores. If I were promoting a shoot I would go around to all the sporting goods retailers that sold archery gear and hand them flyers and have an actual conversation with the store manager or department manager responsible for archery so you make sure the flyers don't go into the circular file... Archery sales could help drive club memberships and the other way around as well. It's a win-win for everyone and the store management should get on board with that.

Aside from that it would seem that a bunch of money would need to be spent to get the word out, which would drive up costs for people to attend the shoot.

Ron

Last edited by Ronhop; 06-27-2007 at 10:19 AM.
Ronhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:19 AM   #5
Dredly
Site Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Saylorsburg PA
Posts: 4,358
Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly
Default

Wow.... 100 - 150 is a lot of people for a regular 3d shoot isn't it?

I know Jay Are was excited with 80+ so I would think getting 150 there would be a helluva turnout
__________________
No I'm not dead
Dredly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:27 AM   #6
Ronhop
RIP
 
Ronhop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rock Island, IL
Posts: 3,967
Ronhop is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
Wow.... 100 - 150 is a lot of people for a regular 3d shoot isn't it?

I know Jay Are was excited with 80+ so I would think getting 150 there would be a helluva turnout
I guess but this is a pretty big metro area without a lot of clubs that host shoots. And, there are a lot of bowhunters in this area. You should see the local shops on weekends starting 2-3 weeks before opening day. The shops are really busy so you have to plan ahead for sure.

It'll be interesting to see how many people show up at a shoot, assuming I can find one, when 1 club is essentially gone and the other is 'private'.

Last year there was one shoot that was 40 targets and I want to say it took us almost 4 hours to go through the course because we had to wait so much. In fact we started on the 'back 20' targets because the front was so bogged down. That was at the club that went 'private' this year.

Also, I've never shot 3D outside of this area before so I don't know how to gauge it. Also, that 100-150 was my best guess based on cars in lot, waiting time, etc since everyone is so spread out over so much land.

Ron

Last edited by Ronhop; 06-27-2007 at 10:29 AM.
Ronhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:19 AM   #7
Jay Are
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 1,403
Jay Are will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
I was talking with Sniper a bit about my Local club which is approx 3 miles form my current house and about 4 1/2 from where I was born and raised... I'm 27 and I just heard about them last year because of this site (which they don't even post on anymore).

So how does your local club pull in more people? Internet? Local Shops? Word of Mouth?

I've been in every local archery store within a 50 mile radius and I've never heard of it until I found it on this site back when I initally signed up and looked around.

Here is a map of the area I live in, red box is me, yellow is where my parents live ( where I grew up) and green is the location of the club... its been there for years I guess
I think the best way to bring in more people is by finding the best mix of all three methods (Internet, local shops, word of mouth). But my feeling is that word of mouth is the best! If you don't have good representatives of the club (members) going to other shoots, the word will never get out. Getting people interested in the club is the easiest thing, but keeping them there or returning is the hard part. The more members a club has, the more "Word of Mouth" can happen.
Jay Are is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:29 AM   #8
MO.HICK
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 258
MO.HICK is on a distinguished road
Default

I helped to start a club about 4 years ago. We had a lot of word of mouth. I shoot as many shoots as I can around and spread the word. We put schedules in local shops put our shoot dates on here. We have had some people come about 2 hours away this year and said that they heard that we put on good shoots. So Iguess we are doing something right. We put our shoots in the Missouri bowhunters mag. If any one is around the Excelsior Springs Mo area look on here for our dates and come and give us a try. We also hold the NFAA outdoor state championships. State championship last year we had a little over 100 shooters hope for more this year. And our regular shoot we avagerage 45 t0 60 shooters.

Mo.Hick
MO.HICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:12 PM   #9
Sniper
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 975
Sniper is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Are View Post
I think the best way to bring in more people is by finding the best mix of all three methods (Internet, local shops, word of mouth). But my feeling is that word of mouth is the best! If you don't have good representatives of the club (members) going to other shoots, the word will never get out. Getting people interested in the club is the easiest thing, but keeping them there or returning is the hard part. The more members a club has, the more "Word of Mouth" can happen.
Ditto. Jay Are and me both made up our own flyers for the club, and i put them in shops and other clubs with "Take One" on them. Almost a hundred were picked up at one local shop alone. If we put on a few more real good shoots, I bet we break a hundred shooters. We are doubling last years turnouts already, but we are overcoming a bad reputation. The web sites work too. How do you think we pulled in Dredly?
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:15 PM   #10
Dredly
Site Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Saylorsburg PA
Posts: 4,358
Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Ditto. Jay Are and me both made up our own flyers for the club, and i put them in shops and other clubs with "Take One" on them. Almost a hundred were picked up at one local shop alone. If we put on a few more real good shoots, I bet we break a hundred shooters. We are doubling last years turnouts already, but we are overcoming a bad reputation. The web sites work too. How do you think we pulled in Dredly?
I was told if I beat Jay Are on his home course he would shoot the R100 in a skirt... thats the only reason I'm shooting Limerick.

I'm thinking if Jay Are wears a skirt and Bowman complains like a woman they can both shoot from the girl stakes and can keep each other company!
__________________
No I'm not dead
Dredly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:32 PM   #11
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!
 
BUNNYMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: the Hutch
Posts: 29,888
BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
I was told if I beat Jay Are on his home course he would shoot the R100 in a skirt... thats the only reason I'm shooting Limerick.

I'm thinking if Jay Are wears a skirt and Bowman complains like a woman they can both shoot from the girl stakes and can keep each other company!

from what i have heard from the texas birdie......its not us that will whine and shoot from the skirt stake.....
__________________
I cut things up and split them down!
BUNNYMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:44 PM   #12
Chris
Administrator
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 4,074
Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Why would anyone not advertise their shoots on our site?
Is it really that hard to post them? I didn't think so.
There is no cost to the club and you reach tens of thousands of archers.

I just can't understand the mentality. They complain about no budget for advertising but when someone offers them a free way to reach shooters, they don't have the time or manpower to post them.

Sorry if this is a rant and is not meant at anyone directly on this thread but at times it's very frustrating for me.
__________________
Chris Christenson - Admin
3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:43 PM   #13
Sniper
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 975
Sniper is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Why would anyone not advertise their shoots on our site?
Is it really that hard to post them? I didn't think so.
There is no cost to the club and you reach tens of thousands of archers.

I just can't understand the mentality. They complain about no budget for advertising but when someone offers them a free way to reach shooters, they don't have the time or manpower to post them.

Sorry if this is a rant and is not meant at anyone directly on this thread but at times it's very frustrating for me.
I have no clue why a club would'nt use a find shoots section for free on websites. I check our areas, and some clubs post on one, some not at all. Perhaps a former or deceased member had the passwords, but that loss could be overcome by contacting a administrator easily. Sometimes they used web sites and stopped, Like the one near Dredly. That's how I found it when I shot there.
I just drove a hour to pick up a few things at Lancaster, and left 20 schedules on the corkboard. Even handed out a few and invited some guys to come shoot with us. Gotta spread the word any way we can.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:01 PM   #14
MoBowman
Senior Member
 
MoBowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lee's Summit, Mo.
Posts: 595
MoBowman is on a distinguished road
Default

Couple of examples here in Missouri. Most of the archery clubs in Missouri are members of one if not both of the of the statewide archery organizations in the state. The Missouri Bow Hunters or the United Missouri Bowhunters. With dues, monthly news letters are printed with a list of all 3d shoots in the state, annual banquets, ect. ect. It's a good way for all archery organizations to help each other and the sport.

Now another archery club, Montrose Archery Assoc. does radio advertising and small ad's in the county newspaper. How does an archery club pay for that? Most of the time it is free. What alot of folks don't know is that most radio stations will do 30 commericals for non profit organizations and use those commercials to "fill in" spots where major advertisors are not paying for time. And the smaller local newspapers will put in small ad's to fill space. This club will average anywhere from 130-160 shooters each month for their shoots. There are ways to get the word out and draw shooters, some just takes a bit more leg work.
__________________
www.Missouriwhitetails.com
Trophy Rock Pro Staff
Hunt Hard, Hunt Safe, Pass It On
MoBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:18 AM   #15
Jay Are
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 1,403
Jay Are will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Why would anyone not advertise their shoots on our site?
Is it really that hard to post them? I didn't think so.
There is no cost to the club and you reach tens of thousands of archers.

I just can't understand the mentality. They complain about no budget for advertising but when someone offers them a free way to reach shooters, they don't have the time or manpower to post them.

Sorry if this is a rant and is not meant at anyone directly on this thread but at times it's very frustrating for me.
Some of the clubs don't think there is a benefit of using the internet for anything. It's something we all experience at one time or another - the fear of the unknown and ignorance. But I think the other problem is no one wants to volunteer for the duty of posting it and keeping it up to date.
Jay Are is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:24 AM   #16
Dredly
Site Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Saylorsburg PA
Posts: 4,358
Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Are View Post
Some of the clubs don't think there is a benefit of using the internet for anything. It's something we all experience at one time or another - the fear of the unknown and ignorance. But I think the other problem is no one wants to volunteer for the duty of posting it and keeping it up to date.
I notice you ignored the skirt comment... ignoring it won't make it go away

I'll miss their next shoot also, its on the weekend of July 22nd (I found it on another site) maybe I'll see about making it in August
__________________
No I'm not dead
Dredly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:32 AM   #17
Jay Are
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 1,403
Jay Are will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
I notice you ignored the skirt comment... ignoring it won't make it go away

I'll miss their next shoot also, its on the weekend of July 22nd (I found it on another site) maybe I'll see about making it in August
Trying to play on the computer and do the work that my wife gets paid for

Sounds like we have a challenge:
We will shoot known yardages and it will be about shot placement and skill. No excuses about misjudging yardage.
The looser of the bunch will need to wear the skirt to the R100! or to every 3D shoot til they stop loosing??????
Jay Are is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:48 AM   #18
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!
 
BUNNYMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: the Hutch
Posts: 29,888
BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Are View Post
Trying to play on the computer and do the work that my wife gets paid for

Sounds like we have a challenge:
We will shoot known yardages and it will be about shot placement and skill. No excuses about misjudging yardage.
The looser of the bunch will need to wear the skirt to the R100! or to every 3D shoot til they stop loosing??????
known yardages????
__________________
I cut things up and split them down!
BUNNYMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:51 AM   #19
Dredly
Site Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Saylorsburg PA
Posts: 4,358
Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
known yardages????
Someone is scared I think
__________________
No I'm not dead
Dredly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:00 AM   #20
Jay Are
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 1,403
Jay Are will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
known yardages????
This way no disadvatages due to me knowing the course.
Jay Are is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:06 AM   #21
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!
 
BUNNYMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: the Hutch
Posts: 29,888
BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough
Default

not scared.......more like terrified.....
__________________
I cut things up and split them down!
BUNNYMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:07 AM   #22
Ronhop
RIP
 
Ronhop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rock Island, IL
Posts: 3,967
Ronhop is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Why would anyone not advertise their shoots on our site?
Is it really that hard to post them? I didn't think so.
There is no cost to the club and you reach tens of thousands of archers.

I just can't understand the mentality. They complain about no budget for advertising but when someone offers them a free way to reach shooters, they don't have the time or manpower to post them.

Sorry if this is a rant and is not meant at anyone directly on this thread but at times it's very frustrating for me.
It makes no sense to me either, but then again, why would a clube decide to all of a sudden become 'private' ? I do know that club has some snobs running it but I think it's brash to all of a sudden ask for $75 annual dues PLUS the shoot fee on top of it.

What a way to run people away from the sport.

Ron
Ronhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:33 AM   #23
Dredly
Site Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Saylorsburg PA
Posts: 4,358
Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Are View Post
This way no disadvatages due to me knowing the course.
So you are already planning on cheating... I see how it is! hmmm to go down and "help" setup the course on saturday or not
__________________
No I'm not dead
Dredly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:40 AM   #24
Jay Are
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 1,403
Jay Are will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
So you are already planning on cheating... I see how it is! hmmm to go down and "help" setup the course on saturday or not
Don't worry about me cheating... you should worry about getting your other bow ready so we can shoot from the big boy stake.
Jay Are is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:05 AM   #25
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!
 
BUNNYMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: the Hutch
Posts: 29,888
BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Are View Post
Don't worry about me cheating... you should worry about getting your other bow ready so we can shoot from the big boy stake.
I have a feeling he will never be ready to shoot from the big boy stake....
__________________
I cut things up and split them down!
BUNNYMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:18 PM   #26
Dredly
Site Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Saylorsburg PA
Posts: 4,358
Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
I have a feeling he will never be ready to shoot from the big boy stake....
by big boy do you mean Traditional? I've been shooting from the womans traditional stakes so far and I'm realllly good!
__________________
No I'm not dead
Dredly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:35 PM   #27
chelleo
Senior Member
 
chelleo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Rafael, CA
Posts: 451
chelleo is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Why would anyone not advertise their shoots on our site?
Is it really that hard to post them? I didn't think so.
There is no cost to the club and you reach tens of thousands of archers.

I just can't understand the mentality. They complain about no budget for advertising but when someone offers them a free way to reach shooters, they don't have the time or manpower to post them.

Sorry if this is a rant and is not meant at anyone directly on this thread but at times it's very frustrating for me.
I think there is no opposing view to what you have said Chris because I for one think it's fantastic that you offer that facility for folks. I wish more would use that FREE option but then not all folks think very clearly.
__________________
FBSA Member and Concierge
Hoyt UltraElite 25" 40#, Carter Fits Me Too, Shibuya Compound Sight & Black Eagle scope, TT Spring Steel I, Slingbraid Custom Bow Slings, Quick Stand Bowstand, Carbon Express Nano XR
chelleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2004 3DShoots.com