Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 06-29-2007, 08:09 PM   #1
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about
Default Training archery

Ok everyone I am going to be showing some newbies a little about archery and was wondering what I should talk about and what not to mention in your opinions. My students will be 17yr old girl, 15yr old girl, and a 13yr old girl. I have a 50# recurve I'm thinking of starting them with and I also have my sons 30-40# Parker Buckshot with adj dl from 18-28 inches. I am thinking of just letting them shoot what they are comfortable with but do not want to start them off wrong at their older ages. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:11 PM   #2
Scottyluck

Scottyluck is on a distinguished road

By all means use the Parker. A 50lb recurve is gonna be too much for them.
Preach safety. Second just get them to hit the target consistently. It'll be a thrill for them. Then you can start talking about form and anchor points and such if you feel they're taking to it.

Stress that archery is FUN!!
Scottyluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:09 PM   #3
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

dont show them your archery receipts.....

and lord dont tell them about mine....
Old 06-29-2007, 10:03 PM   #4
Colo_Lee

Colo_Lee is on a distinguished road

You might think about going lower poundage 25lb recurves ther will by some dry fires arrows falling off the string and the rest. teach them safty dont worrie about form until they can hit the target on a regular basis and get arm guards that go the whole length of the arm
Colo_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:13 AM   #5
Pinwheel1969
#1 THREAD KILLER

Pinwheel1969 is on a distinguished road

1st year youths I start w/ saftey. Then work in a little form issue's. Start them close. At like 10 yds. At the end of training scedule we will move back to 15,20,30 yards. Saftey / Form, and Technique are big 3 in a archer who is succussfull. At those ages definatley throw in form and technique right away. Along w/ saftey you dont want them to develope bad habits on there own. so good luck!! Teaching youths is a blast....
I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
RANGER BOW STRINGS
Pinwheel1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:45 AM   #6
kbohunt
are u a fat boy?

kbohunt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kbohunt
Default Safety First!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinwheel1969 View Post
1st year youths I start w/ saftey. Then work in a little form issue's. Start them close. At like 10 yds. At the end of training scedule we will move back to 15,20,30 yards. Saftey / Form, and Technique are big 3 in a archer who is succussfull. At those ages definatley throw in form and technique right away. Along w/ saftey you dont want them to develope bad habits on there own. so good luck!! Teaching youths is a blast....
I taught a couple of boy scout groups for there archery merit badges!
Pinwheel is right on the money!
1 at a time, safety first & allways,keep the poundage low,(they had 20# recurves) keep the shooting close 10 to 15 yds.
And at sometimes, back them up to 20yds no future.
Show them proper form with you talking them threw it!
Dont let them get to close to the target, I had one boy walk up 5 yds while i wasnt looking and shoot the target it bounced off and almost hit him,i made him set it out.
Watch them, dont make the group to large.
I was teaching 15 didnt know it was that big until i got there,thats to many!
Have fun with them.
If its a couple of kids, get a 2 liter coke bottle,a fishin pole,& some judo points.
Drag it across the ground 20yds away & let them, have at it.
Thats what i do to the nephews that already shoot targets,find things to keep it fun,but safe!

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
Arrows..beman ICS hunter
SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
FBSA-MEMBER
Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A
kbohunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 02:07 PM   #7
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about

Thanks to you all, I am sure we will have some fun I just want them to want to do it more and not get bored very easily. But of course I will be preachin alot of safety. Oh well wish me luck they are supposed to be over at around 5:00.

"HONDA"
Old 07-01-2007, 12:33 PM   #8
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

Well the girls came over and had a blast. The 17yr old loved the recurve and the 13yr old loved the Parker compound w/release. The 15yr old was havin a blast until she forgot to put on the arm guard and slapped her arm real good with the Parker. She decided to call it a night but said she would be back for more. She did'nt even really act like she felt it much but we seen it swell up real quick. Now I am on the lookout for some bows for them. It was a blast for me to see them getting so excited about archery. I think I had more fun than they did. Of course they wanted me to shoot after they were done, so I stacked five arrows into the spot and now I have to refletch a couple????????? Oh well they thought it was sooooo cool. I am so glad I agreed to show them a little bit about archery. I hope they stay interested.

"HONDA"
Old 07-01-2007, 06:51 PM   #9
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
Well the girls came over and had a blast. The 17yr old loved the recurve and the 13yr old loved the Parker compound w/release. The 15yr old was havin a blast until she forgot to put on the arm guard and slapped her arm real good with the Parker. She decided to call it a night but said she would be back for more. She did'nt even really act like she felt it much but we seen it swell up real quick. Now I am on the lookout for some bows for them. It was a blast for me to see them getting so excited about archery. I think I had more fun than they did. Of course they wanted me to shoot after they were done, so I stacked five arrows into the spot and now I have to refletch a couple????????? Oh well they thought it was sooooo cool. I am so glad I agreed to show them a little bit about archery. I hope they stay interested.
awsome.....glad you all had a good time.....