Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 07-19-2007, 01:03 PM   #1
fogs

fogs is on a distinguished road
Default longbow vs. recurve vs. compound

Hey guys,
Im new to archery, but really want to buy myself a bow and some arrows and do target practice, therefore i wont be buying some super expensive bow. My question is however what type of bow should i get? Im leaning towards a recurve bow because:

Compounds are more expensive, i also kinda enjoy being more traditional and not super high tech. Im not planning on doing any hunting yet either.

I like longbows because they are traditional, but they seem a lot bigger and i tried shooting with one last summer and i felt it was a lot harder than recurve bows.

Recurve bows are kinda in the middle, slightly more traditional, yet not super hard to use. Any opinions?

Other thing: Im a tall guy (1.9m) and pretty strong, what length and mass rating (whatever its called) should i be looking for?

Thanx
fogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:20 PM   #2
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogs View Post
Hey guys,
Im new to archery, but really want to buy myself a bow and some arrows and do target practice, therefore i wont be buying some super expensive bow. My question is however what type of bow should i get? Im leaning towards a recurve bow because:

Compounds are more expensive, i also kinda enjoy being more traditional and not super high tech. Im not planning on doing any hunting yet either.

I like longbows because they are traditional, but they seem a lot bigger and i tried shooting with one last summer and i felt it was a lot harder than recurve bows.

Recurve bows are kinda in the middle, slightly more traditional, yet not super hard to use. Any opinions?

Other thing: Im a tall guy (1.9m) and pretty strong, what length and mass rating (whatever its called) should i be looking for?

Thanx
Howdy fogs and to the forum. As for which type I would suggest a compound, they are more expensive especially with all the accessories you may need. Recurves are great to shoot, I love mine just going out and flingin arrows. But a recurve will take more practice to become very proficient. But if you are serious and want to get pretty good a compound will be better in my opinion. Whatever you can afford I would say go for it. Do not delay archery is a fantastic sport. Again WELCOME and have FUN.

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:06 PM   #3
chelleo

chelleo is on a distinguished road

Recurves can be more expensive than compounds actually. There is this new win & Win Inno riser and limbs and the total is about $1300 so like was stated already you can get a nice compound and not spend all that much. The important thing is get the best you can afford and have fun.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:21 AM   #4
fogs

Thanx for the input. just have a couple of more questions:

Are compound bows a lot easier to shoot ? and do they shoot a lot further than recurve and longbows? How hard is it to get proficient with a longbow (in comparison to a compound and recurve)? And what type arrows should you get(fiberglass, aluminium, wood)?

Last edited by fogs; 07-20-2007 at 06:37 AM.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:32 AM   #5
Doc Holliday
Slippy for President!

Doc Holliday is on a distinguished road

Compounds are easier to shoot. You could be grouping arrows in a very small circle in just one afternoon with the right person teaching you the ropes.

Of the three, the longbow will be the hardest to learn from what I've been told. I have never shot one so I can't say for sure. The recurve will be in between as far as ease of shooting.

As far as arrows go, never shoot wood arrows out of a compound. Only aluminum or carbon. You can shoot wood out of a recurve or longbow as well as aluminum or carbon.

Good luck with your decision, and be prepared, you will be hooked for life.

http://www.thefiringline.com/HCI/molon_labe.htm
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:38 AM   #6
fogs

That makes the decision a lot easier then why never shoot with wood from a compound, does the compound have so much power that it will splinter?

Also: What accessories am i going to need? (stabiliser, finger grip thing, etc...)
Old 07-20-2007, 06:44 AM   #7
Doc Holliday
Slippy for President!

Wood arrows will break out of a compound.

What kind of bow are you going with?

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 07-20-2007 at 07:13 AM.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:06 AM   #8
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

Hello Fogs and

Where you from Fogs? From the sounds of it (1.9 meters tall) your not from the U.S.

No matter what type of rig you decide on, you might want to look for a used bow on e-bay or on the classified adds on here or AT. Used is a lot cheeper, archery can get expensive when your trying to find what fits you best. Good luck.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:55 AM   #9
fogs

Nope, not from the states, I come from Norway. A used bow probably wouldnt be a bad idea, shipping might get expensive though if i dont get one locally.

In what price range can i get a decent used or new compound bow? 1300$ was mentioned, but that sounds like a lot, im only 18 and because im heading off to college and military i wont have a lot of time to use it.

@Doc Holliday: Im leaning towards a compound now, i feel recurve bows are more authentic, but as i wont have a lot of time to practice i want a bow that is easy to use so i dont get demotivated after using it once. I also like the added power of the compound bow as ill be able to hit targets further away.

I might try to find a hunting store near by, see if i can test a compound and recurve.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:09 AM   #10
Doc Holliday
Slippy for President!

You can get some pretty good deals on used equipment that will save you some cash. That way, if things don't work out at least you're not out alot of money.

Since you are going to try compound, and you want the easiest to learn, get a simple rest, a decent inexpensive sight, a stabilizer, and an inexpensive release.

Try to find someone that you can trust that knows about bows and just have fun.